Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Alyssa Milano calls out Heathrow airport for confiscating her breast milk

A*O

All the more reason not to take your bawling brat on a plane.
    Novice, Kathie_Moffett and SHELLEE like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    All the more reason not to take your bawling brat on a plane.
    You've just convinced me we really should fly first class with our 9 month old That's what people will want, he has this really spot on pterydactyl like scream
    A*O likes this.

Result!!!

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ^^^ i didn't say it wasn't documented (it is), i meant the amount appears to be arbitrary. why not 90ml? or 125?
    Ah! I get you.
    It might be that because the number of 100ml bottles that you can get in the ziplock bag (3?) is actually survivable if it explodes.... but that might be a load of crap!!! LOL!
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Breast milk isn't liquid gold and it isn't in limited supply. You need more, your body makes more. That's why you pump when you don't have your baby with you, to keep the supply going. I had to pump and dump before when my kids were babies. I don't see the big deal here.
    Um, for some moms it is. I had trouble breastfeeding because I didn't make enough milk. I didn't have enough milk to pump and dump. I had to supplement with formula. The breast milk I had was precious and it was very painful and time consuming to make even the small amount I could make. I used to cry because it made me feel inadequate as a mom not to be able to feed my kids like the media and lactation consultants insisted I should. I wish people would stop spreading the myth that breastfeeding is easy for everyone and that everyone has plenty of milk to feed their kids. It isn't and not everyone does.
    BrowFilla, maryk, Nevan and 3 others like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Elite Member

I didn't know that some women can't make adequate milk. I really thought it was a supply/demand kind of thing. Very interesting, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

I don't think breastfeeding is easy. It sucked for me, but supply was never an issue. I honestly didn't know that part of it could be an issue.
    czb and NickiDrea like this.

A*O

Many women struggle with breastfeeding despite all their efforts and good intentions. Then the lactation nazis start making them feel guilty and inadequate and failures. Not True! There is absolutely no shame in using formula to feed your baby and fuck the breastfeeding mafia.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Okay, so she knew that the rules were she could bring pumped milk on the plane if the baby was present, which she (Elizabella, seriously!?) wasn't. It specifically states that in the tweets on page 1. Also, rules are slightly different in the UK, 100mL which is less that 5oz. It sucks that her milk was thrown away. But, her baby is 7 months old, not a newborn or a preemie. If she, heaven forbid, had to supplement with formula one time it wouldn't harm the baby. Unfortunately, it's one of those situations that means you have to pump and dump.

**When I had my kids I was on steroids for IBD and wasn't able to breast feed. Mine were formula fed and are both happy and healthy. Formula is not the devil. In my opinion, people need to mind their own business when it comes to what and how another mom feeds their babies.

i'd forgotten about elizabella
    i have even less sympathy for her now.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I had a very hard time pumping. It was very uncomfortable to me. Actual breastfeeding wasn't. There were plenty of times when I pumped and dumped, like when I had a migraine and took medicine. Then, the lactation consultant told me it wasn't necessary to pump if I wasn't full and uncomfortable. She also said it's not necessary to pump and dump if you have a few drinks, as long as you don't nurse your baby immediately. It's not like breast milk just sits in the boob waiting. As the alcohol or medicine in your blood leaves the bloodstream, it also leaves the milk

Not to beat a dead horse but I agree with what so many others have said. If breastfeeding is a struggle, it *IS* liquid gold. The idea of wasting any of it is frustrating at best. Even if I went into an airport knowing I might have to dump some of it, it wouldn't save me from being frustrated or complaining about it.

If it is liquid gold in certain cases (and it was for me as I had a baby with a weak suck/poor latch and I was a shitty producer to boot), then it's all the more reason for a person to be aware of the rules and act accordingly. I pumped for 13 months and had to take Domperidone ordered online from internet pharmacy in order to produce a barely decent amount of milk. If it was me, I would have pumped prior to arriving at the airport and put the milk in a cooler in the suitcase I planned on checking. The pump and an empty cooler would go onboard with me so I could pump on the plane.

I would have never risked my milk since I had so little of it. If that's not her issue, if she's a milk maid (I bet she is the pretentious little twat!) then dumping the milk isn't the big issue she's making it out to be.

Elite Member

Yes Alyssa, the government imposed rules are sometime inconvenient for people - even for you and your special little snowflake.

Possible solutions: 1) Pack the milk in checked-in luggage, 2) pack the milk in three clear 100ml bottles inside a clear zip-loc bag, 3) acknowledge that you (not Heathrow) are responsible for knowing the rules and for the milk being discarded, 4) feed your child formula just this one time, 5) don't be a whiny asshole, because you didn't check the rules, which are clearly stated on Heathrow's website.

I love how airports and air travel is the great equalizer - celebs never get away with entitled shit like they do every where else. They just have to follow the rules like us normals.
    rollo likes this.

I wonder what the point is of having different limits to the amount of liquid you can take b/w the US and the UK. It's awkward, I flew just fine from the US with the Benadryl to get my kid to STFU, errr I mean rest peacefully on the transatlantic flight, but once in Heathrow and carrying on to the next destination, they took it from me.

As another mom who could just barely, barely keep up with the baby's demand, and who also worked and had to pump my ass off, I too see breast milk as liquid gold. The times I spilled it or left it out of the fridge overnight....lawd, it did feel devastating. Formula is fine but can never include the antibodies and other bio-active properties, and so I'm on AM's side as far as just dumping the milk without examining it. The guidelines even call for discretion for baby food/milk ?
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    I wonder what the point is of having different limits to the amount of liquid you can take b/w the US and the UK. It's awkward, I flew just fine from the US with the Benadryl to get my kid to STFU, errr I mean rest peacefully on the transatlantic flight, but once in Heathrow and carrying on to the next destination, they took it from me.

As another mom who could just barely, barely keep up with the baby's demand, and who also worked and had to pump my ass off, I too see breast milk as liquid gold. The times I spilled it or left it out of the fridge overnight....lawd, it did feel devastating. Formula is fine but can never include the antibodies and other bio-active properties, and so I'm on AM's side as far as just dumping the milk without examining it. The guidelines even call for discretion for baby food/milk ?
    It's absolutely devastating for Alyssa, but it's still her responsability to know the rules (possibly her pa). The rules are quite clear that you can bring more baby milk/food, only if you travel with the baby. And there's no doubt that the differing rules between Europe and USA are confusing, and one doesn't always have time to check the rules, but the appropiate reaction is: "Damn that sucks, I wish I had checked that sooner," not "How dare you not bend the rules for me and my most snowflakist of all babies." Just my 2 eurocents.
    stef likes this.

Eurocents!lol!

Manx - the limits appear to be the same liquid-wise - I may have posted this earlier (take me off ignore! Lol!)
    but even so airlines have the info freely available.

Exceptions relate to traveling with baby as the product (or in this case the breast milk) is consumed in transit (allegedly).
    Re knowing the rules - it's posted a lot in every UK airport I have travelled in recently including having security giving out ziplock type baggies & bins/trash cans etc.
    i am sure I don't travel as much as AS(S) but it's very obvious..... And that is before you get to security.

re the benedyl- the formula could be different as again different OTC drugs are available in each country - eg I take my sinus meds with me & make sure they have a prescription lable on them as I can't buy OTC in the U.S. I also can buy codine here that I'm not sure I can buy there.
    Antihistamine - Dust Allergies - Decongestant - BENADRYL ®
    Free Charmed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information