Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Alyssa Milano calls out Heathrow airport for confiscating her breast milk

Never had problems at Heathrow. Never had a baby or pumped breast milk either though.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Since the baby wasn't with her, why didn't she put her pumped milk in a cooler with ice packs in her checked bags? Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    That's different. Obviously.
    I remember that in 2001 Australian international airports were checking people's shoes in order to prevent the spread of foot-and-mouth disease in livestock - something like that. Are they still checking for the same reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post

Anna Paquin ✔ @AnnaPaquin

Follow

@Alyssa_Milano not every mum can breast feed w ease/at all. throwing yours away? ignorant, unacceptable, sexist #realityofbeingaworkingmum

sputnik likes this.

Elite Member

Breast milk isn't liquid gold and it isn't in limited supply. You need more, your body makes more. That's why you pump when you don't have your baby with you, to keep the supply going. I had to pump and dump before when my kids were babies. I don't see the big deal here.
    Linne and Novice like this.

czb

for some women, it *is* liquid gold. not all women have an unlimited supply. *rauses hand* don't know if this is the case with alyssa, though.

but as for alyssa, yeah, the amoount of liquid allowed is pretty arbitrary, but it is a known rule. team poor security personnel who have to deal with this drek.

The whole "after I'd been through security I had 5 oz of milk" made me eye roll. Stop being purposefully obtuse, Alyssa
    Novice likes this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Elite Member

Heathrow lost my luggage on the way to our cruise and the way home. I hate them.
    I see how her statements could be called overdramatic, but I literally had a breakdown when I finally got 20 mls of breast milk and was so tired I left it on the counter. At that time that was a whole day's worth of food or more for my premature son. I struggled a lot with trying to pump as he was too small to latch and it was burning too many calories to try, breastfeeding was not an option. I didn't end up succeeding and I can only imagine if it were a daily struggle how pissed I'd be.
    Beeyotch, czb and ManxMouse like this.

She's being a dramatic bitch and the Heathrow staff are being officious bellends.
    sputnik and Kathie_Moffett like this.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    for some women, it *is* liquid gold. not all women have an unlimited supply. *rauses hand* don't know if this is the case with alyssa, though.
    Exactly. Ma Kitty was so well supplied when she had my older brother that the hospital was milking her like a cow to help out other new mothers who were struggling, but when she had me she had to top up with formula because what she had wasn't enough to keep my fat arse happy.
    maryk and Kathie_Moffett like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

If you can't bring in that amount of liquids, you can't bring it on the plane no matter what kind of liquid it is. Liquid is liquid, and someone could be hiding something destructive in breast milk just as well as in anything else.
    Kittylady and SHELLEE like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    She had another one in September.
    Ok, that makes sense, I missed that.

A*O

@ Mo. The Aussie quarantine/security rules are still pretty strict including dirt on shoes although they aren't as diligent about checking them as before. It seems to depend on how bloody minded the customs/quarantine nazis are feeling that day.

Anyone who flies regularly, eg, an important celeb like this twat, knows the rules by now ref liquids. Yes it's inconvenient and no it probably isn't necessary but we all have to follow those rules or we don't fly. Breastfeeding mothers/martyrs aren't the special case they think they are.

Last time I transited through T5 LHR - the seventh circle of hell - they were insisting on any laptops, phones, etc having sufficient battery charge to operate or they would be confiscated or no fly. Nobody explained why but I assume it's because they were worried about fake laptops, phones etc full of Semtex.
    Linne likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I remember that in 2001 Australian international airports were checking people's shoes in order to prevent the spread of foot-and-mouth disease in livestock - something like that. Are they still checking for the same reason?
    We went in the 90s and had every.single.item. pulled out of our suitcases... Its just Australia.
    Britain used to be the same about rabies.
    Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    Never had problems at Heathrow. Never had a baby or pumped breast milk either though.
    ditto
    Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post

but as for alyssa, yeah, the amount of liquid allowed is pretty arbitrary, but it is a known rule. team poor security personnel who have to deal with this drek.
    Is it? Its well publicized here:-https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/overview
    "If you do take liquids in your hand luggage:

• containers must hold no more than 100ml"

"You can take liquid containers larger than 100ml through security if they:

and then the link states:-
    "When travelling with a baby you’re allowed to take enough baby food, baby milk and sterilised water for the journey. In some cases this will be over 100ml."
    Plus there are signs all over all of our airports.

ETS I checked the TSA site as well & theirs in the same 100ml...
    "Liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes must be 3.4 ounces (100ml) or less per container"
    3-1-1 Liquids Rule | Transportation Security Administration

I agree that some security guys are arseholes, the TSA in the US have a bad rep particularly but they are there to do a job and (generally) if you're not an arsehole to them they won't be an arsehole to you.
    Free Charmed.

czb

^^^ i didn't say it wasn't documented (it is), i meant the amount appears to be arbitrary. why not 90ml? or 125?
    Novice likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information