Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree530Likes

Thread: Alec Baldwin fatally shoots cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on movie set

George Clooney calls Alec Baldwin’s deadly ‘Rust’ shooting ‘insane’

George Clooney has ripped Alec Baldwin’s deadly shooting of the “Rust” cinematographer as “infuriating” and “insane” — insisting the star and his crew appeared to ignore decades-old safety rules used on every other set.
    The veteran Hollywood star told Marc Maron’s “WTF” podcast that the death of 42-year-old cinematographer Halyna Hutchinswas clearly the result of “a lot of stupid mistakes.”

Maybe they weren’t even using that gun to do target practice, but they had live ammo with dummies,” Clooney raged of “all this s–t we’ve been seeing with all the Alec Baldwin stuff.”
    “And that is insane. It’s insane. It’s infuriating,” insisted Clooney.
    The “Ocean’s Eleven” star said that despite having “been on sets for 40 years,” he has never heard of some of the apparent safety measures Baldwin’s Western had used on the deadly set.
    “First of all, I’ve never heard the term ‘cold gun,'” he said of the doomed safe word that Baldwin believed meant the Colt .45 he fired would not have live bullets.
    Clooney has decried the gun terminology that was reportedly used on the “Rust” set.©Focus Features/Courtesy Everett Collection“I’ve never heard that term. Literally, they’re just talking about stuff I’ve never heard of. It’s just infuriating,” he said.
    Clooney, 60, also insisted that even after getting the all clear, every actor then takes additional steps to personally ensure the weapon is not loaded before they actually fire on set.
    George Clooney insisted that even after getting the all clear, every actor takes additional steps to personally ensure a weapon is not loaded.Nathan Congleton/NBCU Photo Bank/NBCUniversal via Getty Images via Getty Images“Every single time I’m handed a gun on a set — every time — they hand me a gun, I look at it, I open it, I show it to the person I’m pointing it to, we show it to the crew,” he told Maron.
    “Everyone does it. Everybody knows,” he said.
    Santa Fe DA Mary Carmack-Altwies said that “no one has been ruled out at this point ,” including Alec Baldwin.Mark Sagliocco/Getty Images for National Geographic“Maybe Alec did that — hopefully he did do that,” he said, although initial police reports suggest that the 63-year-old actor relied on the “cold gun” call from his crew.
    Clooney insisted that such safety measures were obvious to anyone in movies following previous tragedies over the decades.
    The former “ER” star said he was “friends” with Jon-Erik Hexum, who died from a blank in 1984, and “good friends — really good friends — with Brandon Lee,” the 28-year-old son of martial arts legend Bruce Lee who died in a similar on-set shooting while filming “The Crow” in 1993.
    “After Brandon died, it really became a very clear thing of, open the gun, look down the barrel, looking in the cylinder, make sure,” he said of industry-wide safety steps that Baldwin appears to have skipped.
    Assistant director David Halls is said by some to be culpable for the “Rust” on-set death.IMDBClooney suggested that “Rust” assistant director David Halls — who told authorities he handed Baldwin the gun before his fatal shot — appeared to be “the bad guy.”
    But he said that “for the life of me,” he could not understand why the Baldwin-produced flick hired rookie armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed.
    “It’s a terrible accident. But a 24-year-old person with that little experience shouldn’t be heading up a department with guns and bullets on it,” he said of the “low-budget film with producers who haven’t produced anything.”
    “And so it comes down to, we need to be better at making sure that the heads of our department are … experienced and know what they’re doing,” he said.
    “Because this is … I’ve just never, you know — it’s just infuriating,” he said, sounding almost at a loss for words.
    Hannah Gutierrez-Reed was the armorer of the movie at just 24 years old.Voices of the West/FacebookAuthorities have not charged anyone for last month’s “Rust” shooting in New Mexico.
    Santa Fe District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies has warned that “no one has been ruled out at this point,” including Baldwin.
    Around 500 rounds were taken as part of the investigation, including blanks, dummy rounds — and some suspected live rounds, officials have said.
    Trixie likes this.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Well.

Clooney's not firing blanks, is he?
    Trixie and Tati like this.

Uh...sorry but... A 24 year old selfie-taking blonde girl is an 'armorer'?

No. Just no. That just doesn't seem right.

Give me a greyed ex-military dude old enough to be this chick's dad (or grandad) who looks like he's spent the last 40 years having handled, used, taught safety classes, hunted, etc. and is well versed with dozens of different types of weapons.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

czb

i'm not going to cap on someone because of their age or gender.

i just want to know why george is bagging on alec.

I'm going to bag on her for her age because no one who is 24 years old...even if ex military...has anywhere near enough of the required experience with weapons the be "the armorer" on a set with actual weapons.

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I read the 24 year old felt unqualified and uncomfortable having to act as armorer. Apparently her dad is a seasoned hollywood firearms consultant who trained her, but she said she didn't feel ready.

At any rate, sounds like clooney has a bone to pick with AB. Otherwise, why would he stick his nose in when he has no connection to the movie or the situation.
    czb likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Well I feel bad for her then. Maybe they should have hired her dad instead. Or in addition.

Now this is going to follow her forever.
    crayzeehappee likes this.

I think George is bagging on Alec because they've both been around the business long enough to know better, in his opinion. And he knew two people who died in the past under these types of circumstances, and he's pissed off about it.

Also, I think the implications are that this was a low-budget project and corners were cut. And Baldwin was the producer, as well as the main actor. So...
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    i'm not going to cap on someone because of their age or gender.

i just want to know why george is bagging on alec.
    Maybe he knew the woman who was killed?

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry;[URL="tel:3828103"
    3828103[/URL]]I read the 24 year old felt unqualified and uncomfortable having to act as armorer. Apparently her dad is a seasoned hollywood firearms consultant who trained her, but she said she didn't feel ready.

At any rate, sounds like clooney has a bone to pick with AB. Otherwise, why would he stick his nose in when he has no connection to the movie or the situation.
    I thought that was the previous Nick Cage film & that on this one she told the producers that the cast needed more training more safety stuff & they wouldn’t do it.
    Plus George touches on the fact that some of the cast/crew had been shooting live rounds at tin cans / for target practise & that these should never have made their way onto set - and these would have been outside the armourer’s control as - not a prop….
    I also heard that there was an armourer-mentor on set to provide back up & support.

Low-budget westerns are shot all the time. And think about the old days when there were no armorers. I don't remember any fatal shootings then? This seems to be a really freakazoid occurrence that required screwups on MULTIPLE levels. This didn't happen during Silverado, The Unforgiven, Pale Rider, Desperado, Gunsmoke, Wyatt Earp, Tombstone, and on and on.

But yeah, Clooney apparently had TWO friends get killed because of mishandling of guns on set - and they were the ones everyone thinks about Jon Erik Hexum and Brandon Lee. This is going to REALLY resonate with Clooney.

Elite Member

There's going to be a George Snuffleupagus interview with Alec tonight. In the clip I've seen, he claims he didn't pull the trigger. How does a gun fire without you pulling the trigger? Is that a misfire? Is that common? Seems odd to me that there was a misfire on a gun with a live round -- but I don't know anything about guns.

Alec looks horrible in the clip. You can see how much this has weighed on him.
    lindsaywhit likes this.

Does Alec Baldwin have the same PR as Prince Andrew????
    Also I’m seeing a correlation between him & a narc I know - he didn’t “pull the trigger” but had cocked the gun & then the hammer swung back & it went off - no need to “pull the trigger” to make the gun shoot.
    he’s not responsible because he “didn’t pull the trigger” but he feels his career is over….

Alec Baldwin film set shooting: Seven key points from actor's first interview since Rust tragedy

In an hour-long interview, actor Alec Baldwin has spoken for the first time about the moments before and after the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of the Western film, Rust.

By Gemma Peplow, Entertainment reporter @gemmapeplow
    Friday 3 December 2021 08:13, UK

Baldwin gives first interview on shooting

With investigations still ongoing into the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, it might have seemed to some like an unusual decision by Alec Baldwin to give an extensive, on-camera interview about the incident.
    However, the actor - who says the gun he was holding fired without him pulling the trigger - has said that, six weeks on from the tragedy, he wants to counter "misconceptions" and can not wait for inquiries to conclude before speaking out.
    In an emotional hour-long talk with ABC television's George Stephanopoulos, Baldwin gave details on what happened in the moments leading up to Ms Hutchins' death, and directly afterwards, for the first time. Here are the key points from the interview.
    Image:Baldwin broke down in tears a few times during the interview. Pic: ABC
    The moments before the gun went off
    Baldwin and Ms Hutchins met to rehearse a scene in which he was playing a character who drew his weapon on two enemies, the actor told Stephanopoulos.

Recalling the "marking rehearsal" - during which the cinematographer was showing him where to point the weapon - the actor said that the film's first assistant director, Dave Halls, handed him a revolver and told him "this is a cold gun" - an industry term meaning it was either empty or loaded with dummy rounds.
    Ms Hutchins was instructing him on where and how to hold the weapon, "which ended up being aimed right below her armpit", he said.
    Baldwin said he needed to cock the gun but not fire it in order to get the shot they needed.
    "I cock the gun," he said. "I go, 'Can you see that? Can you see that? Can you see that?' And then I let go of the hammer of the gun, and the gun goes off."
    Stephanopoulos then asked if Baldwin pulled the trigger. "No, no, no, no, no," the star replied. "I would never point a gun at anyone and pull a trigger at them."
    Image:Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, pictured on a different set, was showing Baldwin where to point the gun when it went off. Pic: Swen Studios/ Reuters

The aftermath of the shooting
    The actor said he did not realise what had happened at first, as "the idea that someone put a live bullet in the gun was not even in reality".
    "She goes down," he said. "I thought to myself, did she faint? The notion that there was a live round in that gun did not dawn on me till probably 45 minutes to an hour later."
    Baldwin said he stood over Ms Hutchins for about 60 seconds "and she just laid there kind of in shock" before he was told to leave the building as medics entered. Asked if she was conscious, he replied: "My recollection is yes."
    Police arrived 15 to 20 minutes later, he said, and taped off the area. Director Joel Souza had also been injured in the incident.
    He learned of Ms Hutchins' death "hours later" after being told by police that a "45 calibre slug" had been removed from Mr Souza's shoulder.
    Baldwin said he felt "a kind of insanity-inducing agony of thinking that someone put a live bullet in the gun".

Image:Hannah Gutierrez-Reed was the armourer on the set of Rust. File pic: Shutterstock

How did the bullet end up on set?
    During the interview, Baldwin said the only issue that matters is how the bullet ended up in the gun.
    "There's only one question to be resolved, and that's where did the live round come from?" he said.
    Baldwin said he met with the film's armourer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed for a gun training session before the shoot, and she appeared capable and responsible.
    [b"I assumed because she was there and she was hired that she was up to the job," [/b]he said.
    Gutierrez-Reed has been the subject of much of the scrutiny in the case. Her attorney has said she did not put the round in the gun, and believes she was the victim of sabotage.

Baldwin: 'Someone put a live bullet in a gun'

Should Baldwin have checked the gun himself?
    During the interview, Baldwin was played a clip of George Clooney speaking about handling guns on set, in which he said: "Every single time I'm handed a gun on a set, every time, they hand me a gun, I look at it, I open it, I show it to the person I'm pointing it to, we show it to the crew. Every single take. You hand it back to the armourer when you're done, you do it again. Everyone does it. Everybody knows it."
    Baldwin responded: "Well, there were a lot of people who felt it necessary to contribute some comment to the situation, which really didn't help the situation - at all. But you... if your protocols, you check the gun every time, well good for you. Good for you. You know, I probably handled weapons as much as any other actor in films... and in that time, I had a protocol and it never let me down."
    The star said he was taught when he was younger that crew members "don't want the actor to be the last line of defence against a catastrophic breach of safety with the gun".
    He said that "when that person who was charged with that job, handed me the weapon, I trusted them... In the 40 years I've been in this business all the way up until that day, I've never had a problem."

Image:Baldwin pictured with his wife Hilaria at a premiere in June, four months before the shooting. Pic: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP

Baldwin's career
    The actor rose to fame in US primetime soap opera Knots Landing and went on to make a name for himself on the big screen in films such as Beetlejuice and The Hunt For Red October, as well as his collaborations with directors Woody Allen (Alice and Blue Jasmine) and Martin Scorsese (The Aviator and The Departed).
    He is perhaps best known for his role in TV series 30 Rock, and for portraying Donald Trump in Saturday Night Live.
    However, he said he is no longer thinking about his work and that he dreams about the tragedy "constantly".
    "I couldn't give a sh*t about my career anymore," he said.
    Stephanopoulos then asked, "Is it over?", to which the actor replied: "It could be."
    Baldwin said his next production still wants him, "but I said to myself, do I want to work much more after this?"

Image:Rust was being filmed in New Mexico

The actor denies responsibility - and says he does not think he will be charged with a crime
    While Baldwin said he "would go to any lengths to undo what happened", when asked if he felt guilt over Ms Hutchins' death, he replied: "No. No. I feel that... someone is responsible for what happened, and I can't say who that is, but I know it's not me.
    "Honest to God, if I felt that I was responsible, I might've killed myself if I thought that I was responsible. And I don't say that lightly."
    Baldwin, along with other producers, has had two civil lawsuits filed against him by Rust crew members. Police investigations are ongoing, and no criminal charges have been made.
    Baldwin says he was told the gun was "safe" by other crew members in charge of checking weapons, and that he does not believe he will face criminal charges. He said he has "nothing to hide".
    "I've been told by people in the know... that it is highly unlikely I would be charged with anything criminally," he said.

Image:Writer and director Joel Souza was also injured in the shooting. Pic: Ron Adar/SOPA Images/Shutterstock

Reports of safety issues on set
    Baldwin, who was also a producer on the film, said there was no indication to him that crew members were unhappy with safety conditions on the set, despite a resignation over the issue before Ms Hutchins' death.
    "I never heard one word about that, none,'' the actor said. He also said that complaints about cost-cutting on the film have been misguided.
    "Everybody who makes movies has the responsibility not to be reckless and careless with the money that you're given,'' he said.
    Asked by Stephanopoulos whether the cost-cutting compromised safety, Baldwin said: "In my opinion, no... I personally did not observe any safety or security issues at all in the time I was there."
    In a statement, the producers of Rust, including Baldwin, have previously said: "The safety of our cast and crew is the top priority of Rust Productions and everyone associated with the company.
    "Though we were not made aware of any official complaints concerning weapon or prop safety on set, we will be conducting an internal review of our procedures while production is shut down.
    "We will continue to cooperate with the Santa Fe authorities in their investigation and offer mental health services to the cast and crew during this tragic time."

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/alec-...agedy-12485046
    Sarzy, OrangeSlice, tulip and 1 others like this.

He is not helping himself at all. What an asshole.

"She goes down," he said. "I thought to myself, did she faint? The notion that there was a live round in that gun did not dawn on me till probably 45 minutes to an hour later."
    This is absolute bullshit. Hmmm, loud bang, she collapses, two people bleeding? What could it be?
    tulip, Novice, Trixie and 5 others like this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Elite Member

He feels no guilt? Really? I think I'd feel guilt, even if I didn't load the gun. It was his actions that made the gun go off. Not wrapping my head around it. Is he just parsing words here so he doesn't put himself in any more legal problems?
    Novice, Sarzy, DawnM74 and 2 others like this.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread Information