Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree390Likes

Thread: Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse

Ooof, Texas. I glazed over that part. I'm not surprised. Texas government (courts, child welfare, etc.), generally, seems to be of the "spare the rod, spoil the child" mindset.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

mjw
    Elite Member

Reggie Bush defends Adrian Peterson, says he’d ‘harshly’ discipline his one-year-old daughter

Adrian Peterson's controversial parenting methods sit just fine with fellow NFL running back Reggie Bush, who said he'd consider "harshly" disciplining his own one-year-old daughter if the situation arose.

Bush spoke out in defense of the embattled Vikings star Tuesday on WFAN's "Boomer and Carton" show, claiming the severe discipline Peterson meted out to his son was similar to what he experienced as a child.

"I was punished the same way," the Lions RB said. "And I know a lot of my friends and a lot of the guys I played with, they were punished the same way, too.”

"I got what we call whoopings."

Peterson was indicted on child abuse charges in Montgomery, TX., for beating his son with a tree branch switch, leaving bruises and welts on the unnamed four-year old. He was also investigated for allegedly abusing another one of his children, according to reports.

Despite initially benching Peterson in the wake of the criminal case against him, the Vikings had a change of heart this week and activated the 2012 NFL MVP for Sunday's game against the New Orleans Saints - a decision Bush agrees with.

He also appears to favor the type of parenting that got Peterson in trouble.

“I definitely will try to — will obviously not leave bruises or anything like that on her. But I definitely will discipline her harshly depending on what the situation is.”

When asked if he’d use a tree branch “switch” like Peterson did on his four-year-old son, Bush said “I would possibly consider it, depending on what she did.”

He later backtracked on that statement, saying he misspoke.

“I said spanking. Spanking is different than a branch or a stick.”

Reggie Bush defends Adrian Peterson, says he’d ‘harshly’ discipline his one-year-old daughterÂ* - NY Daily News

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post

For example, my 11 year old blurted out "What the f*ck?!" this Saturday and went immediately upstairs for a 30-minute time out.

I was hit growing up. Usually a belt or a cutting board. I maybe got spanked half a dozen times. My brother, on the other hand, was a weekly offender, always getting his ass handed to him. Obviously, it was not an effective tool for him. Boy took a licking and kept on ticking.

I always thought I'd "spank" since I was raised with that mentality. I know I've said it before but I swatted my daughter once when she was about 2. I will never forget the look on her face. Shock and then FEAR and then sad. When i saw the fear my heart broke. When I saw sad, I scooped her up, apologized and swore to myself never again. And I never did. IDK maybe if she was some psycho hellion that was a risk to herself or others I'd have to consider extreme measures, but short of that, I can't. It's my job to protect her, not harm her. I am her safe place, not someone she should physically fear.

One swat and I almost puked when her little face crumpled. How that man repeatedly struck a four year old while the child presumably screamed and bled is beyond me.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    One swat and I almost puked when her little face crumpled. How that man repeatedly struck a four year old while the child presumably screamed and bled is beyond me.
    After seeing the pictures of the child's injuries I would say that his anger blinded him to everything else. That wasn't controlled corporal punishment, that was rage.
    Angeli likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Bronze Member

it boils my blood, this story. several years ago, a neighbor lady got pissed off bc her husband hit on me. i decked his ass. 2 days later, cops showed up here wanting to search my cabinets as they'd been informed i didn't feed my children. i was PISSED. the bitch woman was sitting on her front porch watching this all go down, falling over drunk, cackling. i told the cop to return with a warrant. he didn't, but within a week, child protective services showed up at my door.

i broke down in tears. i hadn't even done anything wrong but i was petrified!

i invited her in, allowed her to speak privately with my kids (teenagers) and she ended up closing the case on the spot, calling it ''malicious and unfounded.''

when i read about peterson and the utter lack of consequences for behavior that, imo, is clearly wrong, it just infuriates me.

on a sort of related note: i think it speaks volumes that covergirl hasn't pulled out of sponsoring the NFL. if a cosmetic company doesn't care about domestic violence in the nfl, well, that kind of says it all.

Sending kids to their room. That cracks me up. Mine would be like, "ok? Cool!" I did make them sit on the couch, hold hands and then give each other a kiss at the end. They cried and screamed that I was trying to "turn them gay!" That works waaaay better than sending them to their room.
    Bellatheball likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Sending our three year old to her room is like exiling her to Siberia. She screams and cries like I've never heard. I'm afraid our neighbors must think we beat her. All we have to do is threaten her with her room and no Octonauts (cartoon).

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    Reggie Bush defends Adrian Peterson, says he’d ‘harshly’ discipline his one-year-old daughter
    so are all these assholes going to come out of the woodwork and admit their shitty parenting, only to be forced to backtrack when faced with people's reactions to what they think is good old-fashioned parenting?

texas laws are fucked up.
    chartreuse likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

My four year old daughter mocks you from time-out. She LIKES being sent to her room. You can take her toys away and she will show no reaction. Lecture? Lol. She is a delightful, intelligent, confident girl who will clearly be a leader one day, but she is also willful and not easy to discipline. We do spank occasionally, we feel there are certain situations when it's an appropriate punishment. She is happy, healthy, and extremely close to us and her siblings. For us, an occasional spanking works for her. I would say that it's not appropriate for every family or, more specifically, every child. To me, it's a decision that every parent should make for themselves based on

When I say spanking, I'm talking about a smack on the behind or hand. I grew up down South and I am familiar with a whoopin'. I only remember being spanked once, and I never got a whoopin'. My parents did not do that. But it was definitely a feared punishment amongst all of the kids I knew when I was growing up.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

First, I am going to hug and thank my parents the next time I see them. The most I ever got was a swat on the butt, which was deserved. Second, I'm going to hug and kiss my kids. I realize each generation has it's own baggage and ideas about what is right/wrong. As a parent, I can't imagine intentionally inflicting physical or emotional pain on the very people I wanted to bring into this world.

Apparently the MN governor issued a statement that AP should not play. Interesting.
    sluce, sputnik, KrisNine and 2 others like this.

IMO when you spank, whoop, beat or swat a child, you have made a mistake. Physical violence against another human is never acceptable. There are other methods that don't teach our child that using physical violence is acceptable. There are no circumstances that would make me change my mind on this. Maybe it's because I see too many abused kids in my business. I just know that I was a wilful, spirited and sometimes bad kid as were 2 of my brothers. My parents never raised a hand to us. I will never be able to reconcile a parent hitting a child and then telling them they can't do the same to friends, teachers, neighbors, etc.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I agree, Sluce.
    And at the risk of bringing up the elephant in the room, this idea that some apologists have suggested in the media -- that what AP did is ok because it's a typical punishment employed and experienced by southern black people -- is disturbing as hell, given the practice of whipping slaves. Internalized Stockholm Syndrome passed down through generations? It's sick, whatever the supposed justification is.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Bahahjaha, kris! Taking away my son's octonauts you figurines when he doesn't pick up his toys in a timely manner is pure torture for him.
    KrisNine and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Jimmy, his 4 sisters and 3 cousins would not go to sleep one night while aunt Louise was watching them. Well aunt Louise proceeded to make a pot of coffee and made all of them sit up in the living room. Any time one of them would start drifting off, she'd smack them with a wiffle ball bat. I always laughed at that story. New Yorkers......
    KrisNine likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
    Bahahjaha, kris! Taking away my son's octonauts you figurines when he doesn't pick up his toys in a timely manner is pure torture for him.
    God help us if Shellington or Captain Barnacles is missing!! She loves those things.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Jimmy, his 4 sisters and 3 cousins would not go to sleep one night while aunt Louise was watching them. Well aunt Louise proceeded to make a pot of coffee and made all of them sit up in the living room. Any time one of them would start drifting off, she'd smack them with a wiffle ball bat. I always laughed at that story. New Yorkers......
    Now, that's just some funny shit. Aunt Louise sounds like my kind of lady. My grandparents thought up great punishments. My uncle got so drunk one night, he was throwing up all over the place. He puked outside and my grandfather left it, woke my uncle up at the crack of dawn (with a massive hangover) and made him hose down his puke. He continued to puke while he was doing it.

I guess I'm an old softie. I just can't hit my kid. It's not in me. I never even hit my dogs. No rolled up newspapers, nothing.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information