Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 226
Like Tree390Likes

Thread: Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse

  1. #106
    fgg
    fgg is offline
    Elite Member fgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    33,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Also, we had just gotten hold of a book called "1-2-3 Magic" which talks about disciplining your child with an escalating system of warnings, so that they can get an intuitive sense that their behavior is out of bounds. It worked so quickly I don't think we even read past chapter 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
    1-2-3 magic saved my sanity at one time
    cliff's notes, please!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

  2. #107
    Elite Member Charmed Hour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,786

    Default

    I was spanked as a kid, belt with buckle still on by my dad. My mother was a huge fan of using her house slippers or a plastic spatula. She once tossed a glass ashtray at me and it lodged in my knee. She told me it would have been my head but I was sitting in front of her china. I don't feel either of my parents went too far, expect once where my mother pulled my father off of me. He just totally lost his shit and snapped. I was the kid that laughed and said, "That didn't hurt", etc.

    That being said, I grew up with a healthy amount of fear of/for my parents. Made my not so little ass think twice before I acted up, especially during my teen years. My sister, my father never touched her because in his words she was "small". He's 6'4" and she's barely 5 foot. She wild the fuck out as a teenager because she thought the only one to fear the beating from was my mom. She was wrong- major incident and my dad smacked the shit out of her very much deserved.

    I don't feel I was ever abused by either of my parents. They did the best they could with the tools they had. Each came from abusive homes of their own, my father's physical and my mother's mental. Both saw their mothers beat regularly, both needing hospital treatment many times over. IMO, my parents overcame their childhoods to be wonderful, caring parents.
    greysfang and Mel1973 like this.

  3. #108
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    32,445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    cliff's notes, please!
    Basically, you explain the system in advance to your child. So, they know what the deal is.

    When your kids starts to act up, you go , "That's 1".

    If they push things a little further, you go, "That's 2". And reiterate that one more is going to land them in their room/timeout.

    If they get to three, then it's "That's 3" and send them to their room for a time that is appropriate for their age.

    The book acknowledges that there are instances from your child that are so egregous that they immediately go to "3" and their room. For example, my 11 year old blurted out "What the f*ck?!" this Saturday and went immediately upstairs for a 30-minute time out.
    CornFlakegrl likes this.

  4. #109
    fgg
    fgg is offline
    Elite Member fgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    33,761

    Default

    ok, got it. when did you start doing it? does it work for a (sassy) 3 year old?
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

  5. #110
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    57,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    I was spanked as a kid, belt with buckle still on by my dad. My mother was a huge fan of using her house slippers or a plastic spatula. She once tossed a glass ashtray at me and it lodged in my knee. She told me it would have been my head but I was sitting in front of her china. I don't feel either of my parents went too far, expect once where my mother pulled my father off of me. He just totally lost his shit and snapped. I was the kid that laughed and said, "That didn't hurt", etc.

    That being said, I grew up with a healthy amount of fear of/for my parents. Made my not so little ass think twice before I acted up, especially during my teen years. My sister, my father never touched her because in his words she was "small". He's 6'4" and she's barely 5 foot. She wild the fuck out as a teenager because she thought the only one to fear the beating from was my mom. She was wrong- major incident and my dad smacked the shit out of her very much deserved.

    I don't feel I was ever abused by either of my parents. They did the best they could with the tools they had. Each came from abusive homes of their own, my father's physical and my mother's mental. Both saw their mothers beat regularly, both needing hospital treatment many times over. IMO, my parents overcame their childhoods to be wonderful, caring parents.
    That's abuse. I'm sorry you had to go through that but you shouldn't justify it and say it was ok that your mother threw a glass ashtray at you or that she had to pull your father off you to stop him from hitting you. That's not a "healthy amount of fear".
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  6. #111
    Elite Member JadeStar70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    BFE, Iowa
    Posts
    7,566

    Default

    I feel the same way, Charmed. My parents did the best they could with their backgrounds, education and tools at hand during that decade. I learned enough to change some things and keep others. I hope my girls go a few steps further when,and if, they are parents.

  7. #112
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    32,445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    ok, got it. when did you start doing it? does it work for a (sassy) 3 year old?
    From what I remember, that is almost exactly the time frame to start doing this.

  8. #113
    fgg
    fgg is offline
    Elite Member fgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    33,761

    Default

    ok, i'm going to start trying it because this particular little guy says up when you say down, black vs white, etc. and just generally loves to push boundaries.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

  9. #114
    Elite Member Charmed Hour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    That's abuse. I'm sorry you had to go through that but you shouldn't justify it and say it was ok that your mother threw a glass ashtray at you or that she had to pull your father off you to stop him from hitting you. That's not a "healthy amount of fear".
    Sorry, I can't agree with you. Living my childhood from the inside I don't feel like I was abused- not in any way.

    ETA: I'd like to clarify one point. The belt came out maybe twice a year. The belt went away and never came out again after it slipped and the buckle slashed me across the back. I took a lot of shit before either of my parents resorted to a spanking.

  10. #115
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    34,662

    Default

    If I hit another adult with a belt that would be assault. Why isn't it assault if I do it to a kid? It's certainly abuse. I'm sorry for those of you that suffered abuse from your parents.
    sluce, mjw, Serendipity and 7 others like this.



    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  11. #116
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    57,107

    Default

    if my husband hit me but only did it once or twice a year, that would still be domestic abuse.

    i think Jadestar makes an excellent point. our parents all come with their own baggage from the way they were raised, whether it's physical violence or something else. it's ok to acknowledge the ways in which your parents fucked up - even if they were just doing the best they could with their backgrounds, education and tools at hand - and then try not to perpetuate certain cycles.

    my mom has 3 brothers. 2 of them gay. their father was homophobic and was a pretty shitty parent in general. that doesn't mean my mom and her siblings don't love their father but they're the first to admit that by today's standards, some of his parenting definitely fell into the abuse category. not so much physical - he wasn't a hitter - but his sons could never come out to him, or to anyone, not publicly anyway, at least not until after he died. he was often absent and when he wasn't, he was emotionally abusive in many ways and was a horrible husband who cheated on my grandmother throughout their entire marriage and was domineering and definitely fucked up his kids in a lot of ways.
    mjw, sluce and witchcurlgirl like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  12. #117
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    23,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    If I hit another adult with a belt that would be assault. Why isn't it assault if I do it to a kid? It's certainly abuse. I'm sorry for those of you that suffered abuse from your parents.
    That's how I feel. If this Ray Rice character would have whipped his wife with a switch or a belt because he didn't like her behavior, would that be ok? If it's ok for our smallest and most vulnerable, why isn't ok for any situation? When does it stop being ok? When you move out? turn 18?

  13. #118
    mjw
    mjw is offline
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Peterson cleared

    5:05 PM PT -- Sources close to the investigation tell TMZ the reason the case went nowhere is because Adrian did NOT strike the boy in the forehead -- but instead the child accidentally hit his head on a carseat while Adrian was punishing him.


    We're also told the form of discipline was "not impermissible." Under Texas law parents are allowed to administer reasonable punishment.

    Peterson's attorney tells us an adult witness backed him up, saying Adrian "did nothing inappropriate with his son."


    Read more: Adrian Peterson -- ANOTHER Child Abuse Investigation ... AP Cleared | TMZ.com

    This was the second child abuse claim.

  14. #119
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    34,662

    Default

    Under Texas law, lol. Don't they still have laws against sodomy in Texas?....I think it's time to update some of the laws.

    I wonder if he knocked the kid's face into the car seat while he was hitting him.



    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  15. #120
    Elite Member Kittylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'
    Posts
    21,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    It was very, very easy to not spank my kids. For the main reason that they absolutely HATED being sent to their rooms -- you would think the rooms were spanking them.

    Also, we had just gotten hold of a book called "1-2-3 Magic" which talks about disciplining your child with an escalating system of warnings, so that they can get an intuitive sense that their behavior is out of bounds. It worked so quickly I don't think we even read past chapter 2.
    That's pretty much what we grew up with, except instead of being sent to our room we were spanked with a hand over clothes. Very, very rarely did we make it to 3. We still pushed it to 2 quite a bit though.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

    How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona


Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Gov. Rick Perry of Texas Is Indicted on Charge of Abuse of Power
    By sputnik in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: August 21st, 2014, 10:31 AM
  2. Adrian Peterson's Son Dies From Injuries
    By Froogy in forum Latest Gossip
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: October 30th, 2013, 06:54 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: May 14th, 2008, 10:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •