Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree390Likes

Thread: Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse

My dad was the same. My mom never really spanked us or used any real discipline, it was always "I'm telling your daddy when he gets home" and most times, that was a lie. My dad would say "Line up" and that meant all 6 of us was getting our ass tore up. That was usually the belt. And you better not squirm because he's still going to hit you but now you're probably going to get your back all welted up too. I hated that shit and when he did it, I hated him too. He would beat my brothers with his fists sometimes too. He usually didn't do that to me... he did on occasion when super pissed or hungover snatch me up by my hair. Oh, and one time when I was a little kid, I got into a fight with my cousin - a boy. I lost the fight and my dad did pick up a stick in the yard and beat my legs till they bled.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    My dad was the same. My mom never really spanked us or used any real discipline, it was always "I'm telling your daddy when he gets home" and most times, that was a lie. My dad would say "Line up" and that meant all 6 of us was getting our ass tore up. That was usually the belt. And you better not squirm because he's still going to hit you but now you're probably going to get your back all welted up too. I hated that shit and when he did it, I hated him too. He would beat my brothers with his fists sometimes too. He usually didn't do that to me... he did on occasion when super pissed or hungover snatch me up by my hair. Oh, and one time when I was a little kid, I got into a fight with my cousin - a boy. I lost the fight and my dad did pick up a stick in the yard and beat my legs till they bled.
    Mel, I am so sorry you experienced this. My heart goes out to you and your brothers.
    kasippu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkles View Post
    Mel, I am so sorry you experienced this. My heart goes out to you and your brothers.
    Thanks. I think if/when you live through shit like that, you (if you have the sense of a fucking goose) DON'T want to repeat those things with your kids. Of the six of us, only one brother has ever gotten out of line with his kid(s). And he fucked up and did it in front of Stackhouse... Stackhouse lined his ass out for him.
    Shinola and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

Thanks. I think if/when you live through shit like that, you (if you have the sense of a fucking goose) DON'T want to repeat those things with your kids. Of the six of us, only one brother has ever gotten out of line with his kid(s). And he fucked up and did it in front of Stackhouse... Stackhouse lined his ass out for him.

Thank god for that because sometimes it becomes a vicious circle.

I feel for you, a parent should be a 'safe' person and of course. kids can be naughty and need to be punished but in my opinion, never by hitting them. There are so many better ways of punishing someone.
    My friend works at child services and she had the most horrible stories. And the kids always try to cover up for the parents.
    This guy is obviously a child abuser and in my eyes the scum of the earth. He is so so much worse then that Rice guy and he is pretty bad too.

You do not have to answer Mel I wonder if your dad ever hit your mum. Was she angry when he would hit you so badly?

Oh yeah, he beat my mother worse than he ever beat us.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

The guy needs some major counseling. He was brought up with the mentality that beating your child shows your love. All it does is instill fear and the knowledge that the bigger guy wins. I am immensely sadden for his children and disgusted and disappointed in him. He needs to be educated and penalized (legally & financially/career wise) so the cycle can stop.

Oh yeah, he beat my mother worse than he ever beat us.
    Oh Mel. How awful. I just cannot imagine. You must have so much anger harvested for him.

He's dead, that tends to negate some of the anger.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

I don't think my dad ever spanked me. He probably did, though, because when I was around 9, he said something like, "You are too big to punish by spanking or hitting. Because to hit you hard enough to actually feel some pain, I'd injure you." He also said, "People who physically abuse their kids get killed in their sleep by their kids. And deserve it."

My mom, however, spanked me when I was pretty small with a yard stick. Eventually, she gave up when she broke the yardstick on me. She wasn't even hitting me that hard. I think there was a quality control issue with that batch of yardsticks.

That being said, my parents taught me about the consequences of my actions, and that did a lot more for me than fearing physical punishment.

I had an uncle, though, who spanked his kids with a belt. He even did it at our house one time. They must have been 9-11 at the time. He lined three of them up against a wall and smacked them with what was super thick belt. It was almost like watching an execution. So demoralizing to see what they were going through.

I was spanked with a belt (buckle cut off) as a child. Spanked...not beat. Always fully clothed, and with my Mother present. Was my ass sore and red for an hour after?...yes. Did I ever suffer welts, cuts or bruises,...no. I was told why I was getting the spanking and how many licks before hand, and then talked to after about my actions and the consequence. This was the mid to late 70's til the early 80's. For the time, it was what society and my family were brought up with, and what they felt was the correct way to handle punishment. I was also brought up in a Christian home, so religion played a big part in the actions, as well. Do I have any ill will toward my parents?...no.

But,..did I take a belt to my girls when I became a parent?...No! I respected and loved my parents, but I FEARED my Dad. He would get that belt out and sometimes I would pee my pants out of fear and anxiety. I didn't want my kids to fear me. I did spank, but with my hand, occasionally. I feel I did learn great lessons from my parents, and in turn, when I had kids I used that knowledge and my own personal experiences to become a better parent. I used new information, education and awareness I had learned and also incorporated what my parents had taught me, in a different, less violent way. Was I perfect?....No way!! Will my kids do things differently? I sure hope so. I hope they grow beyond me and become even better parents than I and their Father were. That is all one can hope,...that each generation grows and becomes better men, women, parents and citizens, and that my grand kids will do an even better job.
    Last edited by JadeStar70; September 16th, 2014 at 10:48 AM.

It was very, very easy to not spank my kids. For the main reason that they absolutely HATED being sent to their rooms -- you would think the rooms were spanking them.

Also, we had just gotten hold of a book called "1-2-3 Magic" which talks about disciplining your child with an escalating system of warnings, so that they can get an intuitive sense that their behavior is out of bounds. It worked so quickly I don't think we even read past chapter 2.
    idunno, chartreuse and Serendipity like this.

I didn't get spanked much (hello, angel child), but when I did it was usually by hand. Though she did occasionally break out the tool of so many Italian mothers - the wooden spoon. Never hard enough to leave marks, but I always learned my lesson, and I love my mother more than I can say. Sending me to my room never worked because I loved to read :-)

When my oldest was about 12, he was going through a hormonal/rough time. Once, he got in my face and screamed at me. So I grabbed my spatula and whacked him on the ass with it til he got out of my face. Broke my favorite spatula. In the heat of the moment like that, I really don't think rational talk about consequences was going to help. I miss that spatula, though. It was just the right size and fit beautifully in the dishwasher.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

1-2-3 magic saved my sanity at one time, about 1-2 years ago. It still works, but we just don't need to use it as much. It has been a very successful tool for us, though. I'm also digging "parenting with love and logic" these days. I have learned quite a bit from using that system, and it is good for teaching kids accountability, which I am all about.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    When my oldest was about 12, he was going through a hormonal/rough time. Once, he got in my face and screamed at me. So I grabbed my spatula and whacked him on the ass with it til he got out of my face. Broke my favorite spatula. In the heat of the moment like that, I really don't think rational talk about consequences was going to help. I miss that spatula, though. It was just the right size and fit beautifully in the dishwasher.
    You should have thought about the consequences before you broke it. *whups louis with heavier duty kitchen utensil*
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information