Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Like Tree390Likes

Thread: Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse

fgg

the pictures that TMZ posted of the little boy's injuries just made me sick! i was never spanked as a child so i just don't understand it. and because this little boy pushed one of his other children??? for god's sake! no excuse whatsoever and i see him going to jail over this.
    Sarzy likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

This whole subject just pisses me off. I don't believe it's right to hit kids at all. And what this guy did is sick.

I never did get punishing a kid for hitting, by hitting them.
    Bellatheball likes this.

I hope the many baby mommas of his other kids take notice.

I normally love Charles Barkley - everything about him is wrong but he amuses me. Yesterday he made me furious and I'll never look at him the same. He tried to justify it saying though AP may have taken it too far, black parents in the south spank their kids and give them whippings and we need to be careful about telling parents how they can discipline their kids. REALLY? The fact that he tried to say it was acceptable in the southern black community is rediculous and I hope he is called out for this. The description AP gave of how he conducted this "whoopin" and the injuries he gave to this child makes me think of how masters whipped their slaves in every movie I have seen. How could he possibly believe this behavior is acceptable.
    Nevan and nana51 like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I saw that yesterday sluce and could not believe what I was hearing. Boomer Esiason said that he hopes that AP never plays football again. He was pissed.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

honestly, spanking and beating are on the same spectrum, and sure, one is worse than the other but IMO spanking or any other kind of corporal punishment of children should be eliminated. and yes, i know, a simple spanking won't usually traumatise a kid for life, and the vast majority of people over the age of 30 were probably spanked at least once or twice, but i still it's one of those practices that should die out and that absolutely aren't necessary to discipline and educate your kids. if you don't spank your kids it doesn't mean they'll turn into spoiled, feral little bastards. they'll turn into spoiled, feral little bastards if you raise them to be spoiled, feral little bastards and don't actually parent and discipline them. there are lots of horrible little shits out there that are regularly spanked, because parents use spanking instead of parenting and don't bother explaining to kids why something is wrong, instead they just hit them out of anger and frustration and no valuable lesson is learnt other except maybe to turn the kid violent himself, or that parents are to be feared, which is not the same as respect.
    Sarzy, sluce, twitchy2.0 and 9 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

My Dad used to tell my sister and I to go "get a switch," and he would use it if we did something especially egregious, but it hurt him more than it hurt us. Now, my sister always got it more than I did because she was bad! Anyway, he never left a mark and it was a method of punishment that he resorted to when he was at the end of his patience and he was and is an extremely patient man.

According to my NFL mobile app, Peterson is expected to play Week 3... nice
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I agree that it is never acceptable. I once asked a mother if she ever made mistakes at work and she said yes. I then asked if her boss had used physical violence against her so that she would learn her lesson. She stared in on how she would sue him so fast and have him arrested and so on. I looked her right in the eye and asked why her boss should be arrested but she shouldn't when she used physical violence to reprimand her son to "teach him a lesson."
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    According to my NFL mobile app, Peterson is expected to play Week 3... nice
    Wow, that is unreal. Where do they draw the line? Beating your child with a switch, injuring their testicles, and drawing blood...that's ok. Getting caught with pot? using performance enhancing drugs? I just don't get it.

The Minnesota Vikings announced Monday that running back Adrian Peterson will return to practices and meetings this week and is expected to play Sunday against the New Orleans Saints.
    Peterson was deactivated for the Vikings' Week 2 game against the New England Patriots after he was indicted by a grand jury on charges of reckless or negligent injury to a child.

To be clear, we take very seriously any matter that involves the welfare of a child. At this time, however, we believe this is a matter of due process and we should allow the legal system to proceed so we can come to the most effective conclusions and then determine the appropriate course of action.
    ”- Vikings owners Zygi Wilf and Mark Wilf
    "Today's decision was made after significant thought, discussion and consideration. As evidenced by our decision to deactivate Adrian from yesterday's game, this is clearly a very important issue," Vikings owners Zygi Wilf and Mark Wilf said in a statement.
    "On Friday, we felt it was in the best interests of the organization to step back, evaluate the situation, and not rush to judgment given the seriousness of this matter. At that time, we made the decision that we felt was best for the Vikings and all parties involved. To be clear, we take very seriously any matter that involves the welfare of a child.
    "At this time, however, we believe this is a matter of due process and we should allow the legal system to proceed so we can come to the most effective conclusions and then determine the appropriate course of action. This is a difficult path to navigate, and our focus is on doing the right thing. Currently we believe we are at a juncture where the most appropriate next step is to allow the judicial process to move forward. We will continue to monitor the situation closely and support Adrian's fulfillment of his legal responsibilities throughout this process."
    At a news conference on Saturday afternoon, Montgomery County, Texas, first assistant district attorney Phil Grant said Peterson was charged with one count of injury to a child and could be sentenced to as many as two years in state jail as well as a $10,000 fine. Probation is an option, Grant said, for defendants with no prior criminal record.
    Peterson's attorney, Rusty Hardin, issued a statement Friday saying his client's conduct "involves using a switch to spank his son." According to a report by Sports Radio 610 in Houston, Peterson removed the leaves of a tree branch, which he referred to in a police report as "a switch," to strike his 4-year-old son.
    In Texas, Grant said, "parents are entitled to discipline their children as they see fit, except when that discipline exceeds what the community would say is reasonable." In Peterson's case, Grant said, the grand jury found Peterson's discipline exceeded a reasonable standard.
    Peterson will likely make a court appearance in the next several weeks, Grant said, but it could be several months before the case would go to trial.
    On Saturday, the NFL told ESPN.com it would review Peterson's case under the league's personal conduct policy.
    Peterson didn't accompany the Vikings to Sunday's game. He did, however, tweet a copy of religious text on the topic of judging others.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Why hasn't the NFL spoke or made a statement and/or suspended him for some games yet?

And isn't Ray McDonald up on charges of beating his pregnant girlfriend, but still playing? Why hasn't the NFL or team done anything with this guy, either?

What happened with Michael Vick when he was charged with the dog fighting? Was he ever suspended, or did he just go to jail, so he was out of the NFL until his prison release.

Jeez,....you would think they just would keep Adrian out until he goes to trial. No clue what the team or NFL is thinking on any subject, anymore. But in the same breath, a guy I use to work with was charged with DV, and he didn't lose his job. He had to serve 30 days or so in jail and was on probation,...but he did keep his job.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.

Now, he's out there saying he's not a child abuser! Uh, yeah, ya are! Anytime you strike a child until you leave bloody marks, you are an abuser. Maybe not a serial or repeat abuser, but make no mistake, you are an abuser.
    Serendipity likes this.

Got my American Profile magazine with my Monday paper as usual, and on page 2 they have an interview with Adrian Peterson that was done before the news of the abuse. I was wondering why the magazine couldn't have edited the interview out of this issue, or at least added a note acknowedging the interview took place before they knew of the abuse charges.

I think the mentality is (and I'm not promoting or agreeing with it) that because it was done to you, or it's so widely practiced somewhere, that it's okay/acceptable. "This is how I grew up and I turned out okay, so this is how I need to discipline my own kids." Charles Barkley saying that when he was growing up, "everybody got a whooping". Group agreement is a strong force to be reckoned with, and it allows people to justify bad or questionable behavior.

And yes, this is child abuse. Swatting one's kid on the butt is one thing; asking the child to cut his/her own switch, strip naked, and stand there while you cover his/her body with bloody cuts and welts is unacceptable. Even if "everybody did it".
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread Information