Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree390Likes

Thread: Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse

Big man. I hope he gets his ass handed to him on a silver platter.
    Honeythorn and Kittylady like this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    I know a lot of people say they grew up being spanked and turned out ok, but I'll never understand why it's clearly wrong to hit an adult that won't do what you want them to do, but it's acceptable in some circles to do it to a defenseless little kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    ^Exactly, and teaching the kid that in situations where someone has done the wrong thing to you it's okay to react with violence. When you hit a kid it's discipline but when you hit an adult it's assault.
    I agree. And this is the reason it's illeagal to hit/spank/disciplin with violence children in Denmark, as I think it should be.

I'd say that all that's left for tomorrow is for an NFL player to beat his dog, but we already got Michael Vick.

I also heard on the news that a new medical study was released today stating that 30% of all NFL players will succumb to premature and "severe brain damage." Aside from ALS and other diseases, NFL players are 8x more likely to develop Alzheimer's before age 50 than the general population, 10x more likely up to age 55, and the odds even even more after that. What a retirement plan!
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Bronze Member

since i became a grandma it's all but impossible to even read about these cretins. i remember feeling horrible for this loser back when his younger child was murdered. if memory serves, he hadn't met that child. wish he'd not met this one. i worry for what this little boy endures while in the care of his mother.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Eleven months ago Adrian's 2 year old son was beaten to death by his mother's boyfriend. Now he is shocked that he is being charged for beating his 4 year old?
    Thank you for not letting me think I'm crazy. I knew I recognized the name from last year despite not following ball players. This is the so incredibly horrible. What kind of shape is this mother in?

Adrian Peterson's Son Dies From Injuries

Quote Originally Posted by CL** View Post
    I grew up getting the switch. Hell, we got paddled at school. We also got smacked on the hand or shoulders with wooden rulers and pointers. Freaking nuns man. I was born mid-70s and most of my age range peers got spanked, got the switch, etc. It was more acceptable then. But what this guy did wasn't a spanking...it was abuse. I'm not violent. I don't hit people. None of my friends who grew up with that type of discipline are violent. I can't tell you why that is. But maybe it does have to do with the context, the discipline versus abuse aspect. The frequency, intensity and all that. This guy sounds like a rager. That wasn't my experience with getting the switch.
    And in normal homes, the discipline vs. genuine love and nurturing--it balances out. I got spanked a couple of times in childhood. It did not traumatize me in the least because it was the punishment of last resort, and I knew I'd done something terrible, really crossed a line. The first was running into traffic, something I'd been told countless times not to do. I was being badass and I almost got hit. I was my parents' only child. I knew I was gonna get spanked and I knew I deserved it. Even more so, the second time, and I'm still ashamed to even say this, but I was mean to my grandma and made her cry. Fuck that. I OWNED that spanking.

But my parents never hit me otherwise. They were never even physically rough with me. My Dad had issues --mental illness stuff--but he was a very affectionate and caring parent, as was my Mum. To me, their usage of spanking in those extreme situations was entirely appropriate and damn, I never did those things again. I understood, moreover, that they didn't like doing it and that they loved me.

This guy....he sounded way too much like he was enjoying the shit out of beating his child. With a tree branch!! Disgusting wretch. I hope they kick him out of football.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    I'd say that all that's left for tomorrow is for an NFL player to beat his dog, but we already got Michael Vick.

I also heard on the news that a new medical study was released today stating that 30% of all NFL players will succumb to premature and "severe brain damage." Aside from ALS and other diseases, NFL players are 8x more likely to develop Alzheimer's before age 50 than the general population, 10x more likely up to age 55, and the odds even even more after that. What a retirement plan!
    I know this is a very unpopular viewpoint, but I really dislike football. So fucking violent, so full of violent, stupid men. I just can't. Sorry. If it makes anyone feel better, I hate golf too.

It amazes me how parents like this asshole are violent, live violently, beat their kids....and then cluelessly wonder later how/why they've raised another generation of violent men.

Quote Originally Posted by lulu09 View Post
    since i became a grandma it's all but impossible to even read about these cretins. i remember feeling horrible for this loser back when his younger child was murdered. if memory serves, he hadn't met that child. wish he'd not met this one. i worry for what this little boy endures while in the care of his mother.
    That child has not one but two shitty parents, evidently. I am so sorry for him. Poor little boy. I hope his life isn't already programmed for violent, hopeless misery. I feel like child abuse is really the root cause of most of the evil and cruelty in the world....behind most every sick creep lies a nightmarish childhood. It sure seems to stack up that way, anyhow.
    OrangeSlice, nana51 and Shinola like this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    It'll teach him to be a violent asshat like daddy! These guys are as dumb as hell.
    kind of ironic that one "whooping" was for shoving a kid and the other one was for scratching his brother 's face. Guess the cycle has already begun . ETA Not saying it is the kid's fault or tgat he deserved that, just to clarify

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    What kind of shape is this mother in?

Adrian Peterson's Son Dies From Injuries
    Mothers, plural. definitely not the same woman. He allegedly has 7 kids all with different mothers. He met the child who died for the first time a month before his tragic death.
    sluce likes this.

Elite Member

I've met AP several times we live close enough to each other, he's sweet but my husband pointed out he's stupid. He really is, he was beat as a child and doesn't have the common sense to realize it was wrong and continues the cycle with his children.

How a man who lost a son to similar violence does this though I don't know.
    ShilohJulia and Shinola like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    Yeah, when you're the victim of abuse, especially at that young of an age, it just shoots right up your spine. I was physically and emotionally abused throughout my entire childhood. So badly that I was taken out of my house by the state (always returned .... our state has a massive, ongoing problem with their child protective services system) FIVE times. I've never been able to shake the loss of my self-esteem and self-worth at such a young age. Especially when your parents are laughing in the room they just beat the shit out of you in front of friends and/or family. My sister and her family stayed here for an extended period of time and they spank (even though my sister was also abused; just no where near the level I was). I'd hear the sound of skin on skin slapping and then the screaming and I swear I'd walk around in a shock like state for a little bit because it just took me so far back. It was difficult to tolerate, but they parent their own way. My parents favored hammers, brush paddles, whatever was laying around. Of course, they used their hands too.

My older sister's (different mother) stepfather was in the military so they moved frequently. She spent a lengthy time in Texas and she told me horror stories of being paddled on the ass with a wooden plank in school. And it was legal. Again, I can't even imagine. How absolutely humiliating. And it was for something stupid, like being in the hallway during class. If something like that happened to my 10yo, he'd be devastated (he's very sensitive).

This poor little 4yo baby. I have memories of abuse from as far back as 2-1/2yo, so he'll most likely remember this. Then of course, he'll read about it online later in his childhood and it will feel like he just got beat again.
    Nevan - I'm so sorry you went thru abuse like that. No kid (or adult, but especially kids) should have to endure that. And, we love you.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

What is going on with US footballers?
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Eleven months ago Adrian's 2 year old son was beaten to death by his mother's boyfriend. Now he is shocked that he is being charged for beating his 4 year old?
    holy shit, you're right! that was him? i knew i thought it was weird that his name actually sounded familiar when i don't know any football players other than peyton manning because of levitt's weird obsession but i don't even know what team he plays for.
    what a fucking asshole. you'd think going through something like that (ok, indirectly since he didn't even know the kid) would make him question his own violence?
    CL** and mjw like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

mjw
    Elite Member

Adrian Peterson turned himself over to authorities early Saturday morning on child abuse charges ... faintly smiling for his mug shot.

Peterson was booked in Houston just after 1 AM and released a half hour later.

The football star is accused of beating his 4-year-old son with a tree branch ... hitting him so hard it left welts and caused him to bleed.

Peterson actually admitted to cops he gave his son "a whooping" and says it's the same treatment he got as a kid. Peterson's lawyer adds that his client "deeply regrets the unintentional injury."

The Vikings have deactivated Peterson for Sunday's game.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz3DDfngrmE

The Vikings have deactivated Peterson for Sunday's game.
    Deactivated? What is he? A cyborg?
    idunno, chartreuse, nana51 and 3 others like this.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Nevan - I'm so sorry you went thru abuse like that. No kid (or adult, but especially kids) should have to endure that. And, we love you.
    I read what you wrote as well, Nevan, and it broke my heart. I am so sorry that you were treated so badly as a child. There is just no excuse. None. My heart goes out to you.
    Nevan and Shinola like this.

I'm just so disgusted by this damn story. I also saw the photos of the child's welts and marks on the his body, which really broke my heart. And according to AP's texts, he hit the child in the scrotum too, wtf?! To me, corporal punishment should be a LAST resort, and do as much as you can to avoid it! However, this was an outright beat down, I don't care what anyone says. I've never understood parents who seem to take pride in beating a defenseless child at all. Too many people pass this pathology down one generation after another and take their anger and frustrations in life out on their children.

I was spanked as a child by my father with a belt. I would have to strip naked and he would strike me with a belt. I've even been whipped with an extension cord too. As I got older, he would hit me with his fists. To this day, I have a lot of anger and resentment issues towards my father and we rarely communicate. He was also a verbally abusive asshole and he still tries to turn every conversation we have into a power battle for control and to prove his manhood. He was severely beaten and abused by his father and he and his siblings like to sit around and laugh about it while the rest of us look in horror. One day he had the nerve to turn to me and say "see, you didn't really have it that bad compared to us, did you?" And I told him about how emotionally abusive he was and how he constantly made me feel like shit as I grew up. He acted as if what I was saying was such a surprise, gtfoh...

I know a lot of old-school people tend to think they turned out okay in spite of getting those types of beatings, but in my family, I can see how they can inflict damage on someone well into adulthood and the strained relationships they have with their kids. Several of my cousins have little or nothing to do with their parents/my dad's siblings. I had to learn that tantrums and reacting angrily all the time will get you nowhere in life.

I get a lot of shit from some friends of mine who wonder why I don't really visit my parents all that often anymore, but some of the memories are just too painful and I can barely stand to be in a room more than 30 minutes with my father to this day. My mother lives in her world of denial and delusions, so I learned long ago that she isn't the person to talk to about these issues. My brother has his issues with them and harbors a lot of anger and resentment towards them as well.

Nevan, my heart breaks for you and your story. People have no idea how this type of punishment can deeply affect people.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information