Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree390Likes

Thread: Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse

I don't follow football, so I'm looking at this as strictly news. I don't care one way or the other if these guys ever play again or not. Adrian Peterson may be a great player and personality, but this is a guy who has a brood of kids by several different women and obviously conducts himself in a way that I personally find disgusting. Not that one thing is worse than the other, but I tend to be more outraged by child abuse (animal and elderly, too) than by almost any other thing. Children have no choice and are stuck. A four year old can't call a lawyer, a domestic abuse hotline, police, or a friend to pick them up. They are at the mercy of these people, the very people that are supposed to make sure nothing happens to them and protects them.

The Greg Hardy thing is interesting. I was listening to 911 calls over the weekend and he was the one calling 911, saying that the police needed to come because his girlfriend/wife was beating him. Police came and took him away. I'm not sure if it was the same incident, but that's pretty shitty. I know that stuff like that does happen. It happened to someone I know. His girlfriend was punching him, the police came and arrested him and took him to jail. He didn't lay a finger on her.

I agree with sluce, the NFL is reacting to public outrage and, in my opinion, sponsors pulling out.
    Serendipity likes this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Mandatory training on how to be a decent person?
    They've instituted mandatory financial advising courses. That didn't work either.

Actually the rookie symposium touches on a lot of various issues. Rookie Education

If these stories do anything, hopefully it is to bring light to the subjects. America needs the awareness, accountability and education.

Elite Member

It's probably almost inevitable when a person of low character (or maybe just one who grew up hard without good examples) gets coddled or at least gets a pass for bad behavior, probably from their teens onward, and then gets a shit-ton of money and adoration, and more enabling.
    twitchy2.0 and Shinola like this.
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

fgg

i was at an event where the GM for one of the NFL teams spoke and he told an anecdote about how they tried to get all of their players to participate in the 401K and all but one finally did so they approached him and he said he couldn't run that far. LOL. they definitely need financial advising...
    CL** and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Truthfully, a lot of the players in professional sports, whether football, basketball, etc... are really just thugs who got a big money contract. For those with a more disadvantaged upbringing, ghetto if you want to call it that, see sports as their only way out of the projects. It's not education, it's sports. I actually read a great article a couple a years ago about how a child can have the same talent whether they are affluent, middle class or poor, and the poor child will work harder at sports simply because they don't feel they have the same options that the same talent child from the other categories. I wish I could find that article. It was quite interesting.

I also made the same correlation of this being acceptable punishment for "Southern Blacks" and maybe relating back to slave times. I didn't say it, but I'm glad someone did.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

On a side note, how much longer is football going to be around as it becomes clearer that it is shortening the lifespan of its players by an average of 20 years? What other profession wouldn't be obliterated by a class-action lawsuit over outcomes like this?

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Mandatory training on how to be a decent person?
    Unfortunately, it's not something that can be taught. I don't think it can...you can only teach a person what the repurcussions will be...I'm not like Anne Frank...I don't believe people are truly good at heart.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    I wish someone would deactivate Ray McDonald that beat his pregnant girlfriend. No talk about him and he has been playing all along. Where is the public outcry there? And wasn't Greg Hardy found guilty in his case? Why wasn't he suspended/fired like Ray Rice? If your going to clean house in the NFL, then FUCKING clean the damn house!!! Don't punish and then punish again due to public outrage and sponsor pressure. The NFL is reacting to the reactions of the initial offenses. Nothing else has changed since any of these players made the original mistakes. Rice will probably win his case with the Players Assoc because of this.

Adrian just needs to get through his legal issues, get counseling and education on anger management and parenting. Take the year and get your personal issues fixed. Not only for yourself, but your children. Football will come. Look at Roethlisberger, Ray Lewis and Michael Vick. They were all given second chances, so why not the guys we are dealing with in these cases???

So all these guys are NFL and all of them beat their SO??
    A pregnant wife-beater. Wow, it gets from bad to worse. Are they on steriods? Does that get tested in the NFL?

The entire NFL and the policies for these players is in DIRE need of an overhaul. Yes, they are tested for drugs... testing positive for PED will now earn you a 2 game suspension, I think. Thats yet another thing they are working on: dealing with positive marijuana tests, DUI's - shit like that. Seriously, the NFL is getting the shit hammered out of them right now - deservedly so!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

ABC News‏@ABC·1 hr
    Attention on NFL's domestic abuse policy brings renewed scrutiny to league's nonprofit status: Renewed Spotlight on Why the NFL Has Nonprofit Tax Status - ABC News - @skimm
    Shinola likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

So I guess AP is deactivated again. He'll continue to get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by kasippu View Post
    So all these guys are NFL and all of them beat their SO??
    A pregnant wife-beater. Wow, it gets from bad to worse. Are they on steriods? Does that get tested in the NFL?
    Roethlisberger raped some women, Ray Lewis killed somebody, and Micheal Vick ran a dogfighting ring. I'm not sure I agree with giving any of them a second chance.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    On a side note, how much longer is football going to be around as it becomes clearer that it is shortening the lifespan of its players by an average of 20 years? What other profession wouldn't be obliterated by a class-action lawsuit over outcomes like this?
    I have never been a big football fan, but this aspect of the game is troubling, downright sickening. When you consider the former players who have suffered from early dementia, cognitive difficulties, behavioral problems, other neurological issues, and the "nice guys" who have gone abusive, suicidal, or homicidal, it's really hard to watch a game and wonder about the long-term consequences of every hit to the head.

Like I said, it was never my favorite sport but now it's increasingly clear that it's violent and brutish, not particularly ennobling, and the whole idea of taking a hit and getting back up is often a stupid thing to celebrate.
    chartreuse and Sarzy like this.
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

It's not just football though. Most professional sports have seemed to encourage drug use in order to perform.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information