Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Actress Tatiana Maslany: Itís sexist to tell me to wax my mustache or shave my pits

She is an actress, of course she'll be told to display her assets and conform to society norms like shaving her hairy bits, and she is no doubt very well paid for it. I am not very hairy and what little is there is very light, but I would totally shave everything if I had a super well-paying job where I was expected to.
    holly and mostroop like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    idk, I think it's funny that so many people say that hair on women is disgusting or unnatural (which I've heard many men and women say), when it's... natural. It's seem as unnatural because we're told to shave it constantly. It's seen as disgusting because of conditioning. I've stopped shaving my legs for the most part, and I get comments on it, which is just so odd to me. What does hair matter? If it's not natural for a woman to have hair on her legs, then why do we need to shave it constantly?

Just because there's worse things happening in the world doesn't mean we can't get annoyed with the pressure to alter our appearance, because NOT altering it is what's unnatural or gross. I think being told that your natural state of being is gross is kind of awful. Good for her for saying it.
    It's called an opinion. I do not think it is unnatural for a woman to be unshaven. I just do not find it attractive.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    Sorry, but I do not find hairy women attractive.

A woman has a right to do with her hair as she wants. But i'm attracted to what I'm attracted to.

I'm not a "sexist". But my penis is tho.
    Yeah but this is the overall point she's making. The "pants feelz" of men trump even being able to portray a more believable female character, instead ending up with a weird caricature representing and catering to the perspectives of men. Ignoring the body hair bit, reading the rest of what she said, you've just demonstrated the point for her.

As if our priorities are always: Men > Our own lives.
    Mivvi21 likes this.

I like her and she's great in Orphan Black and I get what she meant too. She also said if the role called for it she would wax. She was against the pressure to be this ideal. Although if a woman is comfortable not shaving or waxing is up to her. Its not like concepts of beauty regimes have changed over the centuries such as people slathering poisonous paint to cover up sores in the 1700s!
    heart_leigh likes this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    Yeah but this is the overall point she's making. The "pants feelz" of men trump even being able to portray a more believable female character, instead ending up with a weird caricature representing and catering to the perspectives of men. Ignoring the body hair bit, reading the rest of what she said, you've just demonstrated the point for her.

As if our priorities are always: Men > Our own lives.
    I guess the opposite could be said about women when it comes to short men? Why can't most short leading men appear short on screen? Don't they usually have to look taller, so that the audience finds them more believable and attractive?

I'm still trying to figure out what character Maslany would play that requires a mustache. Does she play male characters sometimes on Orphan Black?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what character Maslany would play that requires a mustache. Does she play male characters sometimes on Orphan Black?
    Season 2 she played an intersex clone who was male.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    I guess the opposite could be said about women when it comes to short men? Why can't most short leading men appear short on screen? Don't they usually have to look taller, so that the audience finds them more believable and attractive?
    Leave Tom Cruise alone!!

joebob likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Elite Member

I know lots of guys who wax their armpits. It's not because they want to be more attractive but they say they feel it's more hygienic, at least during summer (less BO etc ). And I'm talking about engineers, not some kind of models/actors/singers ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information