Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Actor Rick Moranis sucker-punched in head in New York City

This would never have happened had he been wearing his hat...

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    He canít run in 2021 due to term limits. Heís frankly been a terrible mayor.

Hereís a perfect example of how heís mismanaged. He gave $1 billion in city funds to his wifeís mental health charity. She/the organization cannot account for $850 million of it.
    That's pretty shocking.
    Angeli likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    NYC's downward trajectory isn't solely due to COVID, poverty, etc. A lot of the blame lies squarely with DeBlasio and City Council. He/they have decriminalized many quality of life crimes- things that were nothing more than a desk appearance ticket. Public urination, open containers, littering, etc. They are now civil summonses and most cops just won't bother to write those tickets. The police are retiring in droves and they are not filling/funding replacements.

I was a kid in the Bronx during the crack years and a young adult under Giuliani. By no means am I fan, but NYC made great strides back in the 90s. IIRC crime was down close to 60%. Sure, arrests and incarcerations were up but we finally had a measure of safety in many communities. Nearly every time my Citizen App goes off, it's another shooting, stabbing, physical assault, murder, death, rape. Like the old days where the cover of every Daily News relayed horrific crimes taking place. Every local new channel reported the THOUSDANDS of murders.
    As a kid, I had great memories of the few times I visited NYC. Visiting the Met, the Empire State Building, etc. Even driving through Times Square. That being said, the thing that has always freaked me out about NYC since I became an adult was the shocking randomness of violent crime. Examples were the kid who was with his family and got stabbed to death in the subway on the way to see the US open. Or the guy just a few years ago who was scouting out a place in Brooklyn, looked at someone the wrong way and got stabbed to death. When I read stories like this, and about Moranis, it really feels like there are just a bunch of random homicidal lunatics roaming the streets, waiting to go off like time bombs. By contrast, two years ago, we had our kids with us in Bangkok, with twice the traffic and people jammed together and I felt incredibly safe, without one police officer in sight.

By the way, I wouldn't take our kids to downtown Baltimore, either, and that is literally like 20 minutes from here. Sad!
    crayzeehappee likes this.

czb

we took our kids to NY in summer of 2019 and they did not like it. at all. too noisy for them. and unfortunately, it was also gay pride week and seeing all the nearly nekkid mens around kind of freaked them out.

and i won't even talk about the trojan condom truck that mr czb took them to because he thought it was a hot dog vendor.

eta: not the original pic but the truck looked like this:

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    and i won't even talk about the trojan condom truck that mr czb took them to because he thought it was a hot dog vendor.

eta: not the original pic but the truck looked like this:

This just made me laugh out loud at work. That is too damn funny.
    czb likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

we took our kids to NY in summer of 2019 and they did not like it. at all. too noisy for them. and unfortunately, it was also gay pride week and seeing all the nearly nekkid mens around kind of freaked them out.

I think it depends on the age of the kids. Our kids would have been endlessly entertained by the nearly nekkid contingent.

czb

i dunno. there were literally swarms of people and no space. it was the most crowded i had ever seen new york, except maybe during christmas time. during one of our walks, a giant guy in a spiderman outfit - he was wearing some really high-heeled boots so appeared ginormous - tried to touch ET's hair and it freaked her out. i had to get between them and tell him BACK OFF. i don't think he meant any harm, but it was completely inappropriate. so throw nekkidness into that frenzy and it was too much.

i dunno. there were literally swarms of people and no space. it was the most crowded i had ever seen new york, except maybe during christmas time. during one of our walks, a giant guy in a spiderman outfit - he was wearing some really high-heeled boots so appeared ginormous - tried to touch ET's hair and it freaked her out. i had to get between them and tell him BACK OFF. i don't think he meant any harm, but it was completely inappropriate. so throw nekkidness into that frenzy and it was too much.
    Generally speaking, we are not big fans of crowd scenes, either, in any capacity. However, if a giant gay Spiderman in heels were nearby, our daughter would have found him first and handed her phone to her brother so he could take a picture of them together.

czb

and he tried to touch her? this giant stooped down and tried to touch my kid. sorry, boundaries.

and he tried to touch her? this giant stooped down and tried to touch my kid. sorry, boundaries.
    If he had touched our daughter before she even saw him, our daughter would have flipped out, too.

czb

exactly my point. boundaries.

Elite Member

I'm from NYC and value my personal space. On the subway during rush hour, even if all you could be was a millimeter away from me, I didn't expect to feel you touch me, if you did, I had issues.
    Don't stand too close and even if I know you, don't touch me uninvited.

I remember once in HS, I had washed my hair and put too much hair oil in it. I was speaking to a classmate about this and another girl said something about relaxing my hair. I told her that I just blow dry it. She then stood up and parted my hair so she could see my roots and said, oh, you do have 'good hair'.
    I was furious, both by the good hair comment (I HATE that term), and by the fact that she put her hands in my hair.
    I remember I jerked my head away and said, "Don't you ever touch me again! "
    I don't think she spoke to me for the rest of the semester. I was so quiet in HS, I think I shocked her and scared her at the same time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information