Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: Actor Johnathon Schaech: I Was Molested by Director Franco Zeffirelli

You summed it up better than I could have Mo.

Plus, he was looking rough for quite awhile. Hearing this story explains a lot. Hot or not, it's great that he seems happy now.

I guess this Zeffirelli asshole is going to play the confused old fart now that he's 94 and dying.

No telling how many lives he ruined.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    The other thing is, a number of people were having a hard time placing the name with the face/body. He was known for being an extraordinarily good-looking guy.
    Exactly, there is that.
    Nevan likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by Taedium View Post
    It isn't about being "allowed" to find him hot or not. It's about it not being an appropriate response to someone sharing the story of their sexual assault.
    when have we ever been appropriate around here?
    Nevan, Kittylady and firebrat1229 like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    To clarify, if someone has been sexually abused, we're supposed to shun him or her from what our eyes and minds find physically attractive? Or we're allowed to mentally think of that person as hot, but we have to keep it to ourselves like a dirty little secret? That sounds like a positive for the victim. Good idea. It kind of reminds me of back in the day when women would be found in a compromising position, or raped, and they weren't able to get married because they were damaged goods and were sent off to convents or became governesses and shit. Stigmas are fun!

And it's not like anyone said, "That guy is hot, no wonder he got molested." That's the difference.
    There's nothing wrong with finding a person who has been sexually abused attractive and there is nothing wrong with expressing that you do. But there is an acceptable time and place to do so; that time and place isn't in response to them revealing that the were sexually assaulted. Quit the false equivalency, it isn't at all like treating women like damaged goods (P.S. in many places women, and sometimes men, are treated like damaged goods in those circumstances and much worse things happen to them than not being marriage material) because they were raped. However, if you'd like to talk about women, we can talk about how the response to a woman likely wouldn't be centered around her how hot she is/was and, if it were, it likely wouldn't be tolerated (by most people).

On this thread, there's been more focus on his sex appeal than him being violated by Franco Zeffirelli. More of a focus on his looks than condemning his abuser. That's fucked up. Regardless of whether you or anyone else wants to admit it, that means something about how we react to and treat male victims of sexual violence. If you had a son who was assaulted, how would you feel if the response was centered around his looks vs him being violated by a much older man in a position of power?

That's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    when have we ever been appropriate around here?
    Perhaps "appropriate" was the wrong word on my end. "Respect/Respectful" would've been a better choice.
    Last edited by Taedium; January 13th, 2018 at 02:39 AM.
    secretgoldfish likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    And Leonard Whiting, from Romeo and Juliet. He was 17-18. Touted as the next big thing, all the young girls swooned, (I was one of them) and then he pretty much disappeared. Per wiki, he abandoned his film career for theater work.

Zeffirelli quote: Director Franco Zeffirelli described his discovery, made from 300 youngsters who auditioned during more than three months: "He has a magnificent face, gentle melancholy, sweet, the kind of idealistic young man Romeo ought to be."

He and Olivia Hussey were so gorgeous together. She was 15-16 when it filmed.

He was the first person I thought of when I read Johnathonís story. I donít know whether he wanted a film career or not, but I do know I would have gone to see anything he was in. I was crazy in love with Leonard Whiting after Romeo and Juliet came out.

God, the lives these predators have ruined.
    Trixie likes this.

Honest to god, hand to heart I didn't think anything about (it being disrespectful) sharing any of the pics I did. To me this is like a part of looking at someone's bio as an actor/model. It's a face and a body. One that he shows of his own volition on his social media. Him being good looking certainly doesn't give some douchebag director the right to abuse him. Given his profession it never occurred to me that posting pics like this of him, which are essentially a part of what he does for a living, was something disrespectful.

And after reading his story I wonder if it hadn't been for his bad experience with this perv if he would have had a completely different career trajectory? One where posting pics to remind people who he was/is wouldn't have been necessary.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Gold Member

To clarify: I don't think anyone was being deliberately/intentionally disrespectful and I'm very sorry if my comments came across as such.
    czb and Waterslide like this.

I remember I came across a picture of Jonathan on set and Christina was there too. I'm not sure if he was changing his shirt or getting out of wet clothes (it was strictly his upper body), but he was taking his shirt off and was making Christina hold up a towel or sheet to hide his body from prying eyes (they looked like they were on location and had no trailers or anything). It struck me as really odd, because no one can deny that Jonathan has a smoking body and didn't seem like the type to be shy. Now I really wonder if this residual guilt or inadequacy from this assault. Makes me really sad and mad.
    lindsaywhit, weathered1 and MsDark like this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    He was the first person I thought of when I read Johnathon’s story. I don’t know whether he wanted a film career or not, but I do know I would have gone to see anything he was in. I was crazy in love with Leonard Whiting after Romeo and Juliet came out.

God, the lives these predators have ruined.
    Me too. I really haven't thought about him in years, but whenever I hear Zeffirelli I think Romeo and Juliet. I just assumed he decided he didn't want the limelight but now I really have to wonder. He did a few crappy movies in the 70s but that was it.

I did some googling and saw that he reunited with Olivia Hussey for a movie called Social Suicide in 2015, playing the parents of Olivia's real-life daughter. It was a modern day play on Romeo and Juliet. It was his first film appearance in 40 years.

lindsaywhit likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

A friend of mine has known Leonard Whiting for many years (pre-Romeo & Juliet I *think*). I believe Leonard either had a severe stroke or has some other mobility inhibiting disease (like MS) and that's why he keeps a low profile.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information