Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: According to Sir Paul McCartney, Yoko Ono did NOT Break Up the Beatles....

As for as solo stuff goes, I can only listen to John or George. I find Paul's stuff awful, and he's my least favorite Beatle.

Although there is pretty awesome picture in my dad's office that a friend took- an extreme close up of Paul's face, with both middle fingers held up high in front flipping the bird, b & w. It's quite cool.
    sputnik, Wilson and Kathie_Moffett like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Yoko wasn't evil, but she was a terrible singer. I don't hate her or love her. Courtney is vaguely evil, but I don't think she killed Kurt.

All in all, I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle and that both Yoko and The Beatles themselves broke up the Beatles. They were fighting a lot as it was and not touring hardly or at all anymore, then Yoko came into the picture and the ship started sinking even faster. She was very controlling of The Beatles for someone who wasn't even in the band. Partially John's fault because he gave her free reign, but that doesn't get HER off the hook for her behavior.

Fun fact: I had one of those pretend-the-egg-is-your-baby projects in psych in high school and I almost named it Egg Yoko. I was very into John and Yoko at the time.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.

unpopular opinion: i like yoko and i think she's cool.
    my late dad knew her sister (she's married to a political scientist/writer friend of his) and met yoko a bunch of times and said she was wicked smart and funny. and he was a good judge of character so it only reinforces my liking her.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    As for as solo stuff goes, I can only listen to John or George. I find Paul's stuff awful, and he's my least favorite Beatle.

this.

Brookie, Wilson and Kathie_Moffett like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    unpopular opinion: i like yoko and i think she's cool.

me too. i've never met her, but the people i know who have all have positive things to say.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I love Paul so there! I think Yoko's music sucks and I hate that she really seems to screw Julian at every turn and there appears to be no reason for it.
    Bluebonnet and ikmccall like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I liked the Beatles as a group, but never liked any of them solo. I'm that way with just about every band that breaks up; I just don't think they're all that by themselves. Certainly not as much as they themselves do.
    JazzyGirl and Rusalka like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    i don't see Yoko Ono as a demon that split up the Beatles, I don't care enough about the Beatles, however I have heard her interviewed for her own projects & I find her mind-numbingly boring in her own aesthetic.
    ^^ This, this, this.

The Beatles broke up the Beatles, but I can't stand this pretentious, boring bitch.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Of course, that line of thinking isn't exactly shared by Beatles fans, many of whom assert that once Yoko and John fell in love, that marked the beginning of the end for the Fab Four as Lennon wanted to strike out on his own.
    I've had this argument with my Beatle-maniac mother so many times it's not funny.

When you look at the history of the Beatles - the real history, not the 1960s glossed over version that Mum and her cohorts got at the time, this is so true. The four of them were growing apart, musically and as friends, as the insanity of their pop sensation whooha ground them down over a decade.

Go and listen to the White Album. Really listen closely. You can hear it there - it's a double album not because they had 2 albums worth of songs, but because no one was prepared to negotiate and made trades like they did in the past. So they all did their own thing, and George Martin had to work out how to get it all together.

The end was coming for ages and Yoko was just a convenient scape goat because she was new, she was non-Western and she was a woman.

There endeth my rant!

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Yoko Ono sang like a flock of macaws on meth getting sucked into a jet engine.

Lennon had to be REALLY IN LOVE to think that that crap sounded good and that the rest of the world needed to hear it. I'm not saying it broke up the Beatles - just our ear drums.

Yes! as I said, I love the white album but holy fuck The Continuing Saga of Bungalow Bill makes me want to stick my head in the oven thanks to Yoko's squawking solo.

Her art is interesting and I like all the work she's done for human rights and peace. But just don't fucking sing. Please!

I love the Beatles. I love their shitty teeny bopper music, their gritty brit invasion sound, their experimental music, their goofy late seventies garbage...flawed though it may be, I think it's all good music in one way or another. I also like a lot of the solo work *everyone* did afterwards, (solo as in apart from the Beatles. Ringo's only enjoyable post-Beatles work was with the Heartbreakers, I feel) And I've had a crush on George (poor George) since I was six or seven.

That being said, from the interviews, documentaries, exposes and all else I've read, I'd say John was the biggest asshole and the one I would least like to meet in person. I've never really had a problem with Yoko. I don't think she 'broke up the Beatles.' John and Paul were grown ups, though they didn't always act like it, and despite George's very clear talent, they were the two running the show. When it became too difficult/boring/whatever for them to work together, the group moved on...and made more good music separately. I don't think it was any great crime that they broke up and don't see why there needs to be blame laid for it, anyway
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information