Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Aaliyah's family blast plans to make a Lifetime biopic about her

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by snoopqueen View Post
    I thought Lilo was lobbying for Stevie Nicks. Stevie nipped that in the bud with a beautiful burn.
    I missed that...what was it?

Quote Originally Posted by CL** View Post
    I missed that...what was it?
    Stevie said over her dead body when asked about LL playing her.
    snoopqueen and CL** like this.

^ Good for her. That would have been appalling.
    snoopqueen and CL** like this.

Elite Member

Looks like she's a no-go now.

Zendaya pulls out of Aaliyah Lifetime biopic days after furious family vow to stop the project in its tracks

By JULIE MOULT
    PUBLISHED: 17:18 EST, 29 June 2014 | UPDATED: 19:19 EST, 29 June 2014

Just last week she took to Twitter to express her delight at being cast to portray one of her all time musical heroines.
    But days later and Zendaya has announced she is pulling out of the Lifetime biopic about the tragically short life of R&B star Aaliyah.
    No reason has been given for the volt-face but it comes as the family of Aaliyah vent their fury at the TV project which they regard as demeaning to the singer who died in a plane crash aged 22.

About turn: Zendaya pictured at the BET Awards Debra Lee's Pre-Dinner event last night has given no reason why she decided to pull out of the project

Her uncle and former manager Benny Henderson told TMZ that the family would not oppose a big blockbuster movie but the Lifetime biopic was not good enough for their girl who died in 2001. He added that he would refuse the use of her music and has hired lawyers to block production. On Sunday it was unclear if Aaliyah: Princess Of R&B would go ahead now they have lost Zendaya.

A representative for the 17-year-old told E! News: 'Zendaya is no longer involved in the project.'
    And source added: 'Aaliyah has always been an inspiration to Zendaya. She was honored to portray her and pay tribute to her. 'If she is going to do it, she wants to do it right.'
    The project is based on the bestselling book Aaliyah: More Than A Woman, which chronicled her life from her debut on Star Search to her successful music and acting career and untimely death.

Before Aaliyah's family spoke out against the movie, the young star took to Twitter to express her gratitude for being cast in the film through a series of posts to her 4.48million followers.

The former Dancing With The Stars contestant began: 'She's been an inspiration and influence in my whole career, her talent still shines brighter then ever, all I wanna do is honor her.

'Show how much she accomplished in only 22 years....she's beautiful inside and there will never be another Aaliyah, I just hope to share her beautiful story, and make her proud up in heaven #babygirl #forever #OneInAMillion.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2674365/Zendaya-pulls-Aaliyah-Lifetime-biopic-days-furious-family-vow-stop-project-tracks.html
    dougie likes this.

Applauds.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

zendaya looks nothing like aaliyah.
    another year i claim of total indifference.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I have never understood the Aaliyah love. I don't hate her or anything, but I don't get the fanatical love either. She always grossed me out, because of the R. Kelly thing, so there is that.

Quote Originally Posted by BoogsBun View Post
    I have never understood the Aaliyah love. I don't hate her or anything, but I don't get the fanatical love either. She always grossed me out, because of the R. Kelly thing, so there is that.
    Well, in my humble opinion, I think a large part of it is that she passed away (so suddenly/unexpectedly).
    I grew up choreographing dances to her songs. I think she had a beautiful voice, an amazing dancer, and an all-around nice woman. She did one of those "MTV Diary" shows right before she passed, and she seemed like a cool chick - I think parts of it are on YouTube still....

It's definitely tragic what happened to her, but I (personally) don't hold her to an "iconic"-type of standard.
    I understand her family wanting to be involved in anything bearing her name/music, but not to a point to where it needs to be an "uproar"/anger or to a point where there's negativity towards Zendaya (who has/had nothing to do with the actual production process).

Another example, I feel the same way about Kurt Cobain. I'm not particularly a fan of his music, I understand his "contribution" to that genre of music, but don't understand the fanatical love/ "icon" status.

Some people/hardcore fans seem to forget that they (Aaliyah and Kurt) were normal people that made some questionable/bad decisions at one time or another (Aaliyah = R.Kelly) (Kurt = Drugs/Not getting treatment for his mental issues/Taking his own life).... and when they passed away, they got put up on this iconic pedal stool.

It's just what society/the media (in general) does when a "famous" person passes...

But hey, that's just my opinion
    rollo and hustle4alivin like this.
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

I loved her in Romeo Must Die. Her songs in that movie were where I first heard her music. Zendaya's show Shake It Up, makes me want to stick skewers in my ears.
    This kind of certainty comes but once in a lifetime.
    Clint Eastwood - Bridges of Madison County

A trailer to the movie:

rollo and SoCalMarie like this.

Wow, that was quick... (filming)...

That actress definitely looks the part.

ETA:
    Talk show host Wendy Williams, who is executive producing the TV movie, announced in July that Shipp, 23, was taking over the role after Zendaya Coleman dropped out.

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertai...fetime-biopic/

Wendy Williams is producing? Um... O....k...
    Last edited by SoCalMarie; September 30th, 2014 at 08:07 PM.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMarie View Post
    Esssh...I didn't know about all of that. Yeah, that's definitely icky.

the rumors about aaliyah is she met and started working with R.kelly by the time she was 14.
    he took her and got married to her when she was 16? and her parents got her back and got the marriage annulled
    she tried to make a comeback but she would get booed.

she then met a unknown guy named Timberland (now works with justin timberlake, usher, etc) who was willing to work with her and revamp her look and sound and she was bigger than ever

but then she died in an accident

lifetime said their movie will def be about R.Kelly in various articles and the family is not amused

Quote Originally Posted by Thighs View Post
    the rumors about aaliyah is she met and started working with R.kelly by the time she was 14.
    he took her and got married to her when she was 16? and her parents got her back and got the marriage annulled
    she tried to make a comeback but she would get booed.

she then met a unknown guy named Timberland (now works with justin timberlake, usher, etc) who was willing to work with her and revamp her look and sound and she was bigger than ever

but then she died in an accident

lifetime said their movie will def be about R.Kelly in various articles and the family is not amused

That comment was in reply to what Zendaya. I made a comment about how I haven't read any negative press about her and someone stated that she was dating her much older co-star on Dancing with the Stars.

But yeah, the Aaliyah and R. Kelly thing is definitely icky too, even moreso because of what we (the public) all know now (about their relationship/ and that R.Kelly is a gross perv) as opposed to what the when Aaliyah was alive.

Zendaya is wearing hula hoops in her ears.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I saw this biopic the other day and it was quite good. It wasn't done in bad taste. They didn't show the crash and barely mentioned it.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information