Thread: Chris Martin tells how he helped Gwyneth Paltrow back Mickey Rourke for an Oscar

Default Chris Martin tells how he helped Gwyneth Paltrow back Mickey Rourke for an Oscar

Chris Martin tells how he helped Gwyneth Paltrow back Mickey Rourke for an Oscar

Coldplay singer Chris Martin has revealed that he helped fill in his wife Gwyneth Paltrow's Oscar voting forms - and gave his support to Mickey Rourke.

By Alastair Jamieson
    Last Updated: 8:03PM GMT 11 Feb 2009

Mickey Rourke: Chris Martin told Manchester's Key 103 that he was allowed to suggest Rourke as one of the top contenders on his wife's list

Rourke, a former professional boxer, is among the contenders for the Best Actor award for his role in The Wrestler.
    Nominations are chosen through a secret ballot of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences whose members include actors and other film industry workers.
    In a radio interview, however, Mr Martin admitted peeking at an Oscar nomination form belonging to his wife, former Best Actress winner Gwyneth Paltrow.
    He told Manchester's Key 103 that he was allowed to suggest Rourke as one of the top contenders on his wife's list.
    He said: "I read the instructions, which is like you've got to put your top five in order and if the number one that you've chosen isn't really doing very well, then they move on to your number two and include that with the one that is doing well, if you see what I mean.
    "I did get a say on that form. I got to put a vote in. I voted for Mickey Rourke. Isn't he great in that film?"
    The nominations are chosen using a transferable vote ballot in which names with the fewest first-preference votes are eliminated until the Academy has the required number of nominees for each category.
    The winners are announced in Los Angeles on February 22.
    Martin also signalled his support for another resurgent act, the reformed boy band Take That who are taking part in next week's Brit Awards. "They should win," he said. "I just think that band are awesome."

Chris Martin tells how he helped Gwyneth Paltrow back Mickey Rourke for an Oscar - Telegraph

I wonder what else he "helps" her do?

What a dweeb. I suppose if Mickey wins, Chris Martin will be taking full credit?
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

This may be a stupid question but does anyone know how the whole nomination for an Oscar comes about?

I believe studios can campaign for a certain actor to be nominated...

But how soon do the nominations have to be in? Are there any qualifications that must be met? Can actors vote for themselves or co-stars?

Anyone know that can explain some of the process to me?

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

^^^ Apparantly, Oscar voters just leave the ballots laying around the house and whoever wants to fill them out can. I imagine housekeepers, nannies, children and dogs are all in on the fun.

This explains so many winners to me now.

^^ Well, it sure explains Marisa Tomei.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by MoodyJenny86 View Post
    This may be a stupid question but does anyone know how the whole nomination for an Oscar comes about?
    You have to receive a certain number of 1st place votes in your category. Actors nominate actors. Directors nominate directors. Writers nominate writers and etc.
    I believe studios can campaign for a certain actor to be nominated...
    Yes.
    But how soon do the nominations have to be in? Are there any qualifications that must be met? Can actors vote for themselves or co-stars?
    By the nomination deadline. To be eligible, a film must play in Los Angeles during the previous calendar year, so those that are nominated this year played in LA in 2008. All Academy members vote by secret ballot. They do not care whether you worked with a certain actor or not--secret ballot. Nothing prohibits you from voting for yourself just like nothing prohibited McCain and Obama voting for themselves.
    Anyone know that can explain some of the process to me?
    Rules are here: Rules & Eligibility for the 81st Academy Awards | Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    You have to receive a certain number of 1st place votes in your category. Actors nominate actors. Directors nominate directors. Writers nominate writers and etc.

Yes.
    By the nomination deadline. To be eligible, a film must play in Los Angeles during the previous calendar year, so those that are nominated this year played in LA in 2008. All Academy members vote by secret ballot. They do not care whether you worked with a certain actor or not--secret ballot. Nothing prohibits you from voting for yourself just like nothing prohibited McCain and Obama voting for themselves.
    Rules are here: Rules & Eligibility for the 81st Academy Awards | Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences
    Oooh thank you!

That helps a lot!

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    ^^^ Apparantly, Oscar voters just leave the ballots laying around the house and whoever wants to fill them out can. I imagine housekeepers, nannies, children and dogs are all in on the fun.

This explains so many winners to me now.
    His advice sounds invaluable.

Maybe she's the one who told him Take That are "awesome."

This is not fact checking...

I was looking up info about the Iron Man 2.....

The actress, married to rocker Chris Brown, played Tony Stark’’s faithful assistant and love interest Pepper Potts in the 2008 comic book blockbuster, opposite Robert Downey Jr.

Gwyneth Paltrow has no idea of her role in Iron Man 2

Thread Information