Thread: Martin Sheen - I taught Charlie Sheen all he knows: rage, violence & addiction

Default Martin Sheen - I taught Charlie Sheen all he knows: rage, violence & addiction

Sheen: 'I Was A Drunken, Raging Monster'

23 January 2009 9:27 AM, PST
    Actor Martin Sheen is set to destroy his good-guy image in a shocking new book, which will expose his past booze-fuelled rages and alcohol problems.
    The former TV president has teamed up with writer Christopher Kennedy Lawford to reveal all about his darkest days in Moments of Clarity.
    In the book Sheen says, "When I drank, it gave me permission to do things that I normally would not do."
    And he tells Lawford that he regrets being so violent towards his children when they were young.
    In a book extract, obtained by America's the Globe, the former West Wing star recalls one morning when his actor son Charlie - then 16 - became the victim of his father's bad temper.
    Sheen explains Charlie had come into his sleeping parents' bedroom to look for lunch money and when he found his mum's purse was empty, he swore and woke his father, who punched him to the ground.
    Sheen remembers, "He looked up at me and for the first time in my life I saw myself. I saw what I looked like in his eyes. I was a monster. I was this raging lunatic who would physically assault his son."
    The veteran actor changed his ways at that point, but still fears Charlie's infamous problems with drugs and alcohol were a result of his own bad parenting.
    He adds, "I taught him everything he knew. I never got into drugs that way, but I used to drink with the lads on a few occasions."

Sheen: 'I Was A Drunken, Raging Monster'

There was a 2 page article in the UK edition of NI this week, but this is the most I can find on it. The last quote is about sending Charlie back to court having broken his probation
    "That was the most important moment in my life, because it took someone that I adore to show me myself" and he questions "What have I done to these kids all these years?"

About the book
    'Moments of Clarity' puts addiction in perspective Posted 12h 41m ago | Comments 3 | Recommend 1 E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions | Enlarge
    Moments of Clarity by Christopher Kennedy Lawford is dedicated to "all those who die from this disease (addiction) so the rest of us can get sober."

THE LAWFORD FILE
    Background: Age 53, son of late actor Peter Lawford and the late Patricia Kennedy Lawford, the younger sister of President John F. Kennedy. Degrees from Tufts, Boston College and Harvard. Has worked in politics and the movie industry.
    Now: Consultant with Caron Treatment Centers, a non-profit provider of addiction treatment. Divorced, has three children, lives in Marina Del Ray, Calif.

By Janice Lloyd, USA TODAY
    Christopher Kennedy Lawford's first book was about his recovery from alcohol and heroin. Now, Lawford has a new book out, Moments of Clarity: Voices From the Front Lines of Addiction, a compilation of 42 essays by ordinary people and celebrities including Martin Sheen, Susan Cheever, Alec Baldwin and Judy Collins, describing moments that led them to reach out for help.
    In it, he describes his own "moment of clarity" on Feb. 17, 1986. He was standing at the windows of a brownstone in Boston and realized his addiction had reached the point of hopelessness.
    He dedicates the book to his father, actor Peter Lawford, and cousin David Kennedy, and "all those who die from this disease so the rest of us can get sober."
    Q: What caused you to write another book on addiction?
    A: When I was touring with the first book, people were desperate for the knowledge they or somebody they knew could use to change their lives like I did. I had no idea there were 26 million people who suffer from this disease, less than 10% who get treatment. Very few people get there. That was the issue for me. It was eye-opening, and I'd been in recovery for 17 years.
    Q: What happened during your moment?
    A: I knew I either had to die or change, and I didn't have a gun to put in my mouth, so I had to change, and the only way I could change was to surrender. So I did. I said, to whatever was out there, "You know what? I give up. … Whatever you want me to do, I'll do it." And I realize now, that was it. That was the opening through which grace entered my life.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Boston | God | Malibu | Alec Baldwin | Vicodin | Martin Sheen | Jamie Lee Curtis | David Kennedy | Judy Collins | Peter Lawford | Susan Cheever | Front Lines of Addiction

Q: Can you forget about Feb. 17 now?

A: No. I remember being at those windows. I remember the hopelessness deep in my gut and the incomprehensible demoralization in every fiber of my body. It's very important to remember the moment. People who don't … can end up using again.
    Q: The people in your book — what was it like to listen to their stories?
    A: Every single one of these interviews is profound to me. I cry when I read this book still. I was a basket case listening to Jamie Lee Curtis. She had wished for sobriety and kept it a secret. She knew she was close to dying from Vicodin and alcohol. I know Jamie. We grew up together. Our parents were best friends. We'd go ice skating together as kids. To connect with her and feel, it was just amazing.
    Q: How did you get them to open up and trust you?
    A: I didn't know Martin Sheen. I sent him a copy of my first book and asked him if I could talk to him about this book. He called me up and said, "Come to my house." I went to his house out in Malibu and he said, "I'm going to tell you a story about my moment of clarity that I would never tell you if I hadn't read your book. But I know if you can be that honest, I can be that honest."
    Q: How is life different after that moment?
    A: Kelly McGillis had been killing herself for 12 years with alcohol. She ended up overdosing but heard this voice, "Not yet," speaking from inside her soul. She checked herself into treatment. These are razor-edge kinds of things. She talks about the miracle and grace. Before we get sober, we've heard about grace and God, but few of us have ever trusted it. I have seen grace transform my life. The people in this book agree.
    'Moments of Clarity' puts addiction in perspective - USATODAY.com
    Last edited by Novice; January 28th, 2009 at 08:12 AM.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

So much to be proud of.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

The veteran actor changed his ways at that point, but still fears Charlie's infamous problems with drugs and alcohol were a result of his own bad parenting.
    This explains why Martin Sheen was tearing himself up in public over Charlie's bullshit back in the day. Guilt. But the fact is, Charlie was a druggie and a drunk because he chose to be. It was nobody's fault.

god, why do they all have to go on about grace and god? it's like fucking twelve-steppers... i'm sorry but i can't stand recovered-addict lingo. it makes me want to get drunk and high.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I thought that he'd always been fairly religious? I'd read somewhere that this was why Charlie's highschool gf didn't have an abortion, since Martin said that he's support/pay/etc and that Cassandra grew up in their (the parents house) for quite some time?....

But I could have it all wrong...

there are religious drunks.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yeah, plus he might have already been in the program by then.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    there are religious drunks.

like irish catholics

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Not every 12-stepper is a religious nut - I'm atheist, but the rooms have helped me to not use for many years.

I cannot stand to hear this bullshit of "some have to die so others may live" that many, like Sheen, subscribe to. What kind of god would operate that way anyway? Life fucking happens, and you don't need a sky fairy to try to make sense of it. Just accept that death is a very real possibility when you play with fire. How self-centered is it to think that "god" made someone die so another person could stay sober?

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

Quote Originally Posted by crackho View Post
    Not every 12-stepper is a religious nut - I'm atheist, but the rooms have helped me to not use for many years.

I cannot stand to hear this bullshit of "some have to die so others may live" that many, like Sheen, subscribe to. What kind of god would operate that way anyway? Life fucking happens, and you don't need a sky fairy to try to make sense of it. Just accept that death is a very real possibility when you play with fire. How self-centered is it to think that "god" made someone die so another person could stay sober?

as someone that know very little about 12 steps, that sounds like a really b/s statement to me! What? their death is an example so the others get sober? Not in my experience.

The book sounds really good. I will read it. I wish he would write a book about his dad and Marilyn and the Kennedys though.
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

god, why do they all have to go on about grace and god? it's like fucking twelve-steppers... i'm sorry but i can't stand recovered-addict lingo. it makes me want to get drunk and high.

WORD!
    "Bigfoot may well be an extraterrestrial because- remember Chewbacca?" - George Noory

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    as someone that know very little about 12 steps, that sounds like a really b/s statement to me! What? their death is an example so the others get sober? Not in my experience.
    There is so much good that goes on in the rooms of recovery - that I almost hate to pick at that one statement. But I hear it all the time, and I just can't stand to hear it. Of course, I think we can all agree that we can look at others' mistakes and learn from them. But that doesn't mean God made it happen in order for us to do so.

I go to mostly gay meetings now, though, and we are a much more liberal group than old school AA, thank Dog.

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

^Pretty much...

Now I feel like I need to knock back a few shots and do a line or two of something...

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

Thread Information