Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Russell Brand in trouble over lewd phone calls to pensioner-Manuel from Fawlty Towers

Default Russell Brand in trouble over lewd phone calls to pensioner-Manuel from Fawlty Towers

The corporation has already apologised to Mr Sachs, 78, after the presenters left answerphone messages claiming Brand had slept with his granddaughter, 23-year-old Georgina Baillie, an aspiring model.
    More than 1,500 complaints have been sent into the BBC, including phone calls and emails, and politicians have led calls for the pair to be fired immediately.
    David Davies, the Conservative MP for Monmouth, said: "In no other organisation paid for by the taxpayer or otherwise, would you be able to get away with behaving like this.
    "These two men are paid millions - from our pockets - and they think it is entertaining to call up a pensioner and shout lewd, disgusting things about his granddaughter down the phone.
    "I do not understand how anyone can claim it is funny or entertaining to do that to an elderly man."
    Paul Farrelly, Labour MP for Newcastle-under-Lyme, said: "Russell Brand should be sacked and the BBC's editorial standards team should be hauled over the coals as well. How could this have been given the green light to go out on air?"
    Mediawatch-UK, the pressure group which campaigns for "decency and accountability" in the media, called for Brand and Ross to be removed from broadcasting while the BBC investigated the incident.
    John Beyer, its director, said: "I think the BBC should look at the possibility of putting other presenters on air while it conducts this investigation to reassure the public it is taking the matter seriously."
    Mr Beyer said he had received several calls from people who were angry about the incident.
    "People strongly object to licence fee payers' money being used to fund these sorts of immature pranks," he said.
    Will Wyatt, former BBC deputy director general, said "someone should take some pain" for what had happened.
    He said: "It was completely inappropriate. It is like a couple of drunken teenagers in a phone box trying to rag one of their chums.
    "But actually this was broadcast over a licence fee paid for network and it was to an ageing actor who hadn't done anyone any harm. One way or another, someone should take some pain for this."
    There were even calls for the pair to be prosecuted. They would face six months jail or fines if they were convicted under the Telecommunications Act or the Protection from Harassment Act.
    Although the BBC has been overwhelmed by irate licence-payers Ofcom has also received complaints.
    It will assess them against the Broadcasting Code, which sets out standards including fairness and privacy.
    The watchdog does this in order to determine whether it should investigate further.
    Ross has already sent an apology to Sachs while Brand is understood to be in the process of putting one together.
    The pre-recorded calls were aired on Brand's Radio 2 show.
    The host and Ross, who presents a show on the same radio channel, began making calls after Sachs apparently did not answer his phone for a pre-arranged interview to promote a television show.
    Ross, 47, left a message telling Sachs: "He –––––– your granddaughter."
    Brand, 33, denied this, but added: "Oh no, I have revealed I know her name."
    After discussing how Sachs might hang himself as a result, the pair made a string of calls in which they ostensibly attempted to apologise for what was "just a joke", but continued to leave lewd messages.
    At one point, Brand sang: "I said some things I didn't of oughta, like I had sex with your granddaughter..."
    Sachs, who played waiter Manuel in Fawlty Towers, was said by his spokeswoman to be "upset" by the incident and did not wish to comment further.
    Speaking near his house in Hampstead, north west London, Brand was asked if he regretted making the prank calls.
    He said jokingly: "What is your name? I'm sorry, I'm confused now I can't go on."
    Brand was later spotted chatting on his mobile phone and refused to answer reporters' questions as he entered his house.
    The comedian was reprimanded by rocker Rod Stewart in 2006 for making similar claims.
    He angered the singer when he told the audience at the GQ Man of the Year awards ceremony he had had "a little go at his daughter".
    Stewart delivered a firm telling-off to Brand for the remark about Kimberly, prompting the presenter to admit that he had not slept with her.
    In July this year, Brand's on-stage routine prompted a police warning about hoax calls, after an audience in Northampton watched him prank call the local force to claim he had spotted someone responsible for a number of assaults in the area.
    The Sachs incident has also reinforced the aptness of the title for Ross's recent book, Why Do I Say These Things?
    Brand delivered a light-hearted apology over the calls on his latest radio show, aware that a Sunday newspaper was preparing a story about the October 18 broadcast.
    He said: "I'd like to take this opportunity to issue a personal Russell Brand apology to Andrew Sachs, the great comic actor who played Manuel, for a message that Jonathan and I left on his answerphone, but it was quite funny.
    "Sometimes, you mustn't swear on someone's answerphone and that's why I'd like to apologise personally."

Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand prank sparks calls for BBC inquiry - Telegraph

Ugh...is this what passes for entertainment these days? Prank calling pensioners and getting paid millions to do so?

This is all over the news in the UK at the moment...still I suppose it makes a change from credit crunch stories.

I can't make up my mind whether I want to kick Russell Brand in the face or testicles, which is annoying because I do find him to be funny sometimes. And Jonathan Ross should know better, really.

Still, Andrew Sachs seems to have taken it in quite good grace.

I heard ont he news last night that he's rep is supposed to have put a complaint into the BBC about it - but the BBC can't find the complaint...

Its a can of worms & why I prefer Katy Brand to Russell, any day!

(http://www.itv.com/Entertainment/com...w/default.html)
    Free Charmed.

Manuel should sic his Siberian hamster on Russell Brand
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

"Que?"

Russell Brand is the Dane Cook of the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by katerpillar View Post
    "Que?"
    Hehehe

Shit! Questions is parliement & everything!

From Times Online

October 28, 2008
    Ofcom to probe lewd Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross calls to Andrew Sachs

Patrick Foster, Media Correspondent, and Jenny Booth

Transcript: the calls made by Brand and Ross
    Ofcom, the broadcasting watchdog, announced today that it was launching an investigation into a succession of lewd phone calls made by BBC presenters Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross to Andrew Sachs, the Fawlty Towers actor.
    The regulator said that it would probe the calls, which were made during Brand’s Radio 2 show one week ago, in which the pair left messages for Sachs claiming that Brand had slept with his granddaughter, Georgina Baillie, 23.
    Some MPs and media pressure groups have called for Brand and Ross to be sacked, as the row entered its third day showing no signs of abating. One government minister today raised the temperature further by saying the behaviour was not "in keeping with broadcasting".
    Related Links

Multimedia

Mr Sachs' agent confirmed this afternoon that Ross had sent a letter of apology, including a bunch of flowers.
    David Cameron, the Tory leader, said that the BBC had a lot of questions to answer about why the pre-recorded programme was cleared to go on air, and why it took so long before an apology was issued.
    "The BBC needs to be transparent about how it takes decisions so that everyone can see what more needs to be done," said Mr Cameron. "We need to know who made the decision to broadcast it? How high up the editorial chain did it go? Who examined it? Why did they conclude it should be broadcast?"
    David Hanson, a Justice Minister, today urged Ross and Brand to say sorry. "I do feel that both Mr Ross and Mr Brand do have to make an apology with regard to the broadcast that was made," he said, during his department's fortnightly question time in the Commons. “I don’t think it was appropriate. I don’t think it was in keeping with broadcasting.”
    Nigel Evans, the Tory MP for Ribble Valley, and Andrew Mackinlay, Labour MP for Thurrock, tabled an early day motion condemning the abusive calls as base, vulgar and likely to diminish the reputation of the BBC.
    Mr Evans went further and suggested that the police should launch their own investigation. "I would sack both comedians," he said. "Who do they have to offend, and in what manner do they have to offend people, before the BBC takes action?"
    The BBC yesterday apologised for the "unacceptable and offensive" material. The corporation also said it would investigate why the programme was approved for broadcast. More than 4,700 complaints have now been lodged about it.
    It emerged today that Brand and Ross have made personal apologies to Sachs for the series of messages they left on his answerphone after he failed to answer calls for a pre-arranged interview. Ross sent flowers with his letter, said Sachs' spokeswoman. "(Sachs) appreciated it was a nice letter and (Ross) meant what he said."
    Today the BBC Trust said that its editorial standards committee was waiting to hear an account from BBC management of what had happened, and that a full report would go to a meeting of the Trust's board on November 20.
    In the offending messages, left on Sachs' answerphone, Brand told listeners: "What Andrew doesn’t know is, I’ve slept with his granddaughter."
    Ross, 47, shouted: "He f***** your granddaughter." Ross also speculated that Brand had "enjoyed" Georgina on a swing, and the pair also joked that Sachs, 78, could kill himself over the incident.
    A spokesman for Ofcom said: "Ofcom has launched an investigation into the Russell Brand show broadcast on BBC Radio 2.
    "All UK broadcasters must adhere to Ofcom's Broadcasting Code which sets standards for the content of television and radio broadcasting. It also deals with issues such as fairness and privacy."
    "Ofcom carries out investigations into possible breaches of the Code to protect audiences and citizens from harm."

Video: Ofcom to probe lewd Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross calls to Andrew Sachs - Times Online
    Free Charmed.

Don't mess with an icon. This man was on the best TV show ever.

Brand isn't fit to lick Sachs' boots. I hope some rabid Fawlty fan kicks his ass.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; October 28th, 2008 at 03:04 PM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Silver Member

I heard it and I couldn't believe they'd broadcast it. This'll do wonders for Georgina's career though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rondette View Post

Wow, could these two look any more like flaming douchebags if they tried?
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

I quite liked Brand, but he is a dickhead sometimes

The only person that is allowed to be mean to Manuel is Basil Fawlty!!!!

"Nevermind him...he's from Barcelona."

[youtube]U7IHJ66wj9g[/youtube]

Wino's twin brother, Russell Brand, and his prank calling partner, Jonathan Ross, were suspended by the BBC today after leaving gross messages on the voicemail of 78-year-old Fawlty Towers star Andrew Sachs. The pre-recorded show aired during Russell's Saturday night time slot.
    In the voicemails, the two tell Andrew that Russell fucked his granddaughter Georgina Baillie. They also joked that Andrew Sachs might kill himself after finding this shit out. Above is the offending clip. I listened to the whole thing and I want my 9-minutes back so that I can use it for something productive like cleaning my dildo. Nothing offends me anymore, but it did give me a slight headache. I think our childhood crank calling sessions were more interesting than this shit.
    The BBC received around 18,000 complaints. Because of this, they have announced that both Russell and Jonathan's shows are temporarily suspended while they investigate this shit. Russell makes around £200,000 a year for his show and Jonathan Ross makes £6 million a year for his hosting duties.
    The Prime Minister even commented on this fuckery, “This is clearly inappropriate and unacceptable behavior, as is now widely recognized. Ofcom have said they will investigate the matter and it is for the BBC, the BBC Trust and Ofcom to take any appropriate action.”
    Andrew Sachs said that he was not surprised about the suspension, but he isn't going to report the matter to the police. WHAT?! Go to jail for talking trash?! I'm a goner.
    Andrew's granddaughter, who performs as Volptua in a burlesque group called the Satanic Sluts, told The Sun that she wants them both fired for her humiliating her. She said, “Russell Brand has embarrassed me by making a private relationship very public in the cruelest way imaginable. We were lovers but I trusted him as a friend as well. He has betrayed me for a few cheap laughs and left my grandfather distraught. Is that what the BBC calls entertainment?”
    Okay, what's more embarrassing here? The world knowing that you effed Russell Brand? Or the fact that you're in a group called the Satanic Sluts? Click here to see Volptua's MySpace.
    And here's some pictures of Russell dressed as Lindsay HoHan as he leaves his home and THE CLINIC (dun dun dun) in London yesterday.
    UPDATE: Russell Brand quit that bitch today. He issued this statement: "I have apologized to Andrew Sachs for the rude messages I left on Oct 18th and he has graciously accepted. As I only do the radio show to make people laugh I've decided that given the subsequent coverage I will stop doing the show."

Russell Brand Is In Trouble | Dlisted
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Russel Brand has resigned from his Radio 2 slot.

I cannot believe how big this got. I was in our local WH Smiths and overhead some old geezer discussing it with a rather bored looking counter-staff member.

I wonder if Brand will do a Kate Moss and come back even bigger from this? I think he will.

^^
    True, but remember this is the guy that made a career comeback after turning up at work dressed like Osama Bin Laden, jacked out of his mind on Heroin the day after the 9/11 attacks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information