Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zara Phillips breaks her collarbone as horror fall kills favourite horse

Default Zara Phillips breaks her collarbone as horror fall kills favourite horse

Zara Phillips was ‘in pain and upset’ last night after breaking her collarbone in a riding accident which claimed the life of one of her favourite horses.
    The Queen’s grand-daughter was riding Tsunami II in a cross-country event at Pau near the French Pyrenees when the mare fell at the relatively easy 15th fence and broke its neck.

Zara, 27, who is 11th in line to the throne, was taken to a local hospital, given strong painkillers by medical staff and had her arm put in a sling to support her broken bone.

Impact: Zara took an awkward tumble from Tsunami II in Yorkshire last year
    She returned to the competition ground at the HSBC-sponsored three-day event, called Les Etoiles de Pau, to discover that the horse she has ridden for four years had been put down.
    Zara, the European and world eventing champion, made her way back to Britain last night to be reunited with her boyfriend, England rugby player Mike Tindall.

A close friend said: ‘The horse hit the fence and broke its neck. Zara fell off and broke her collarbone. She was taken for professional medical treatment at a nearby hospital and is pretty drugged up with painkillers.

‘She is in quite a lot of pain and is very upset about the death of Tsunami, who was one of her favourites.’

Zara came off the same horse in June last year when it nosedived over a 7ft fence at the Bramham International Horse Trials near Wetherby, North Yorkshire. Though she struck the ground with a sickening thud to her neck, Zara was only dazed and Tsunami cantered away.

At the same event in the Pyrenees a year ago, Zara, daughter of Princess Anne and Mark Phillips, came off another horse, Red Baron, and ended up in a water-filled ditch.

Before the fall: Zara on Tsunami II yesterday, just before the accident

A spokesman for Les Etoiles de Pau last night confirmed that Zara’s horse, Tsunami II, had been put down and that Zara had been ‘badly injured’.

After the fall, the horse was immediately transported to the course veterinary centre, where it was found that one of its neck vertebrae was fractured. Vets immediately took the decision to put her down.

‘The horse fell after jumping over a small hurdle of laurel. It was the easiest obstacle on the course,’ spokesman Pascal Sayous added. ‘Zara broke her collarbone. Her shoulder is in a very bad way. We’re waiting for a full medical report.

‘The horse broke a vertebrae in the neck. This is terrible for a horse, it cannot recover from this. The vets decided to put the horse down.

‘It was a very ordinary accident, but it’s not common to see such a terrible outcome. In the 20 years that I’ve been doing this job, we’ve only had to put down two horses, including this one.

‘Zara has never been lucky in Pau; she always seems to fall when she comes here. It’s a great pity, because she’s a great rider.

‘Zara’s parents are normally with her, either her father or mother, but I haven’t seen them this year.’

Zara Phillips breaks her collarbone as horror fall kills favourite horse | Mail Online

sorry to her, but poor horsey.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Poor horse... it pisses me off when horses get hurt in these types of accidents and have to be put down. I understand there's no other alternative, but I don't understand why someone would want to ride a horse and risk it getting hurt like this. So sad.

Hit By Ban Bus!

It's why I stopped watching horse races, I can't deal when the horse has to be put down.

Glad Zara is OK but it seems to me her horses don't fare well with her as a rider. She missed the Olympics because her horse was injured. I guess when you have that many horses you can deal with them getting injured so often

Sad, but she is also lucky she didn't break her neck, too.

Gold Member

I'm glad Zara is okay after such a nasty fall, but it's very sad that her horse had to be put down

This isnt' a sport, it's animal abuse. At least people know what the hell they are doing and they have a choice about breaking their neck. The horses don't.

Poor horse.

I don't like horse racing or horse sports

I still feel sorry for Zara, however I'm more sorry for the horse
    ssabmud

Ouch. Poor Zara, and poor horse. I have no problem with equestrian sports (so long as the events are monitored and the horses are treated humanely), but of course it sucks when the poor things get hurt and have to be put down. Thankfully, it's actually not as common as people think.

How horrible I love riding but I definitely wouldn't want to do these events, way too dangerous for horse & rider.
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by CCkissesx View Post
    I don't like horse racing or horse sports

I still feel sorry for Zara, however I'm more sorry for the horse
    Amen to that.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by KandyKorn View Post
    How horrible I love riding but I definitely wouldn't want to do these events, way too dangerous for horse & rider.
    For some reason the 3 day eventing governing body has not required the use of safety break away cups on the jumps as we have in my end of the sport which is showjumping. If you have safety cups when the horse touches the rail, it comes down. Instead, eventing has telephone poles hard wired into place. There is zero margin for error. At the speed they are galloping in the cross country, it limits the rider's ability to be accurate when finding the place to jump from. Even highly experienced world champions crash sometimes too.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    For some reason the 3 day eventing governing body has not required the use of safety break away cups on the jumps as we have in my end of the sport which is showjumping. If you have safety cups when the horse touches the rail, it comes down. Instead, eventing has telephone poles hard wired into place. There is zero margin for error. At the speed they are galloping in the cross country, it limits the rider's ability to be accurate when finding the place to jump from. Even highly experienced world champions crash sometimes too.
    True.

And this is why I think that this particular sport is animal cruelty. They should start using safety cups, but not using them makes this somehow the ultimate equestrian sport; it is so hard to even get through the 3 days and on top of that the danger makes this sport the most demanding.

The accidents that happen with the 3 day eventing are gruesome.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    I hope they make changes sometime soon before there are too many injuries or deaths. I enjoyed showjumping in my younger days and never felt it was dangerous (every sport has its risks) but I think they could do a lot better safety-wise for the cross country horse & rider.
    Ride safely, scooter and have a great time!!
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information