Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 'Madonna's adopted son would be better off in Malawi' says his biological father

Default 'Madonna's adopted son would be better off in Malawi' says his biological father

The real father of Madonna's adopted son David feels bitterly disappointed that she is getting a divorce - and yesterday he declared: 'I am still a poor farmer with nothing to offer, but maybe he would be better off back with us.'
    Yohane Banda has remarried and now has a happy new family living in his thatched hut in Malawi.
    His new wife Flora, her daughter Tiyamike, three, and their seven-month-old baby son Dingiswayo - David's half-brother - live a simple life but it is filled with love.

Worlds apart: Yohane with his new wife, baby son and stepdaughter in Malawi

Bewildered David with Madonna, her manager and her entourage
    Yet Yohane was filled with regret and sadness as he looked at a photograph of David.

The little boy was walking the streets of Athens, one of his hands held by Madonna, the other by Guy Oseary who jointly manages the singer and basketball player Alex Rodriguez - the man to whom she has been romantically linked.
    Guy Ritchie, David's adoptive father, was nowhere in sight.
    Divorce woes: A gaunt looking Madonna leaves the Kabbalah centre in New York today

Yohane, 34, said: 'He doesn't look happy in this picture. He looks bewildered. If there is no love in the family, is there any love for him?
    'This is a new and terrible thing to happen to him. I am too upset to think clearly. He is only three years old and he has been through so much.
    'I have the joy of a new family and I even have a new son. But now when I think of David in danger of living outside a family life I find it unbearable, I find it hard to believe God intended this.
    'This woman Madonna told me herself that David was beautiful and made her happy and she promised to take good care of him.
    'Now I see him in a big bewildering crowd in the street with people pushing and shoving, and many cameras around, and without a mother and father to hold his hand. I'm feeling bad for him.'
    The peasant farmer placed David in the Home of Hope orphanage at seven weeks old after his mother died from childbirth complications.
    When Madonna and Guy Ritchie adopted David two years ago his father was assured the little boy had a stable family life ahead of him.

But that dream has been turned on its head. David now faces a life spent shuttling across the Atlantic between Madonna and Guy's homes.

One of the recurring rows between the couple was over her wish to adopt a second child from Malawi, three-year-old orphan Mercy James.
    Yohane recalled: 'When Madonna decided she wanted David, I was very undecided.
    'I was face-to-face with Madonna and her husband for about 30 minutes. I knew nothing about them really. They just seemed a loving couple, committed to each other, committed to marriage and committed to my son.

New family: David with Madonna and her two other children, Lourdes and Rocco

'They promised to take good care of him and always remember he was from Malawi. That's why I let them take him. Now I feel let down and disappointed, really shocked.
    'It feels like yesterday that Madonna promised me a happy life and good education for him.

'I thought she would take him away from the danger of malaria and other diseases that kill children here, and that she would let me know that he was happy.
    'I have never heard from her since the day I agreed to let her adopt David. She has sent no photographs or news. I suppose she just wants him for herself.'
    The Bandas live in an isolated village with no running water or electricity, growing vegetables and keeping goats. But they say they feel no envy for Madonna's £300million fortune.
    Yohane and his first wife Marita had two baby sons who died of malaria before David's birth and his mother's own tragic death.

Yohane remembered: 'All I wanted was for David to have a better life.'
    He does not intend to intervene in Madonna's marriage crisis but wants to know more about his son's future.

A long way from London: David Banda's former home in Malawi

At the time of the adoption, critics accused Madonna of using her fame to circumvent Malawi's law.

A £50,000 donation to the Ministry of Women and Child Welfare is rumoured to have helped.
    Adrina Mchiela, then principal secretary at the ministry, said yesterday: 'I was very involved in the Madonna case.
    'It was my job to ensure she took full responsibility for this child. All I can hope is that David's future will be a priority in divorce proceedings. No one could have known this would happen.
    Malawi's Chief Social Welfare Officer Simon Chisale, who compiled glowing assessment reports to support Madonna's case, describing her as a 'perfect mum', said: 'I think we reported fairly. No one can really know what goes on between two people even when they seem close. No one expected this to happen.'
    Justin Dzonzi, the lawyer who tried to prevent the adoption on behalf of 67 children's rights groups, said: 'The ideal in adoption cases is for lost parents to be replaced by a set of new parents. David is now losing his new parents, it is indescribably sad for him.
    'There is no provision in Malawi law for us to take any steps now.'

'Madonna's adopted son would be better off in Malawi' says his biological father | Mail Online

Hit By Ban Bus!

What part is media and what part is truth?

How come Davids family is so dressed up for the picture and yet they live in a dirt hut? How come Davids face is blurred out and yet the children in his fathers family can have their face shown?

None of this ever seemed right to me, David has a family why did Madonna choose him why not a child with no family. Again she looks like she didn't care who she hurt.

I just don't know, a hut verses a nut

The African family looks so radiant. Madonna looks so miserable.

Fame and money can't buy contentment and beauty. It comes from the inside.

Did they call him on his cell phone for this interview or did he write it on his blog?
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I don't care if this guy is an opportunistic prick. this is nothing short of slavery. She basically went to Africa and bought herself a black baby. How can she think that when he gets older he will believe that this is ok? Its not ok. His family is alive and well. If she had any sort of decency she would send money to help his family and send him home with a provision for funds for the future. She should have never adopted him in the first place. There's something very very wrong about this.
    arie_skop likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Did they call him on his cell phone for this interview or did he write it on his blog?
    Brilliantly put!!!
    A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.(Lana Turner)

wow
    how's that for kicking a bitch when she's down
    LOL

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I still remain shocked that she went to the gym the day he arrived. I don't care what anyone says, that was bloody selfish and said more than any words.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    I still remain shocked that she went to the gym the day he arrived. I don't care what anyone says, that was bloody selfish and said more than any words.
    I agree with you. My God, you think she'd take at least one day off (as if her huge muscles would suffer for it!) to make sure her new son was settled and happy! Christ!

Quote Originally Posted by Dahli View Post
    I don't care if this guy is an opportunistic prick. this is nothing short of slavery. She basically went to Africa and bought herself a black baby. How can she think that when he gets older he will believe that this is ok? Its not ok. His family is alive and well. If she had any sort of decency she would send money to help his family and send him home with a provision for funds for the future. She should have never adopted him in the first place. There's something very very wrong about this.

It's sickening.

Default David Banda's dad: "Maybe he'd be better off back with us"

Madonna and son David seen on the streets of Manhattan on October 1, 2008 in New York City.
    James Devaney/WireImage.comBuzz up!

In light of Madonna's divorce from Guy Ritchie, David Banda's biological father is having second thoughts about giving his son up.
    "I am still a poor farmer with nothing to offer, but maybe he'd be better off back with us," he told Britain's The Sun.
    "This woman, Madonna, told me herself that David was beautiful and made her happy and she promised to take care of him," Yohane Banda added. "Now I see him in a big bewildering crowd in the street with people pushing and shoving, and many cameras around, and without a mother and father to hold his hand. I'm feeling bad for him."

Since Madonna adopted David in Malawi in 2006, David's biological dad has moved into a thatched hut with his new wife, their three-year-old daughter and their seven-month-old son.
    "I have the joy of a new family and I even have a new son," he told The Sun. "But now, when I think of David in danger of living outside a family life, I find it unbearable."
    Despite reports, Madonna and Guy Ritchie - who announced they were divorcing last week after 7 1/2 years of marriage -- have not finalized a custody arrangement, her rep says.
    The two reportedly clashed over adopting another child. Madonna favored the idea, Ritchie did not.

Usmagazine.com | News - David Banda's Dad: "Maybe He'd Be Better Off Back With Us"
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

So why doesn't he try to fight for him, instead of always harping to the media about it?

Hit By Ban Bus!

I would think harping is all he can do, he signed him away legally.

She's put her brand on David, red strings - probably peed on him too, poor kid.

Better off with him how? So he can become malnourished and starve, which supposedly was the reason he placed David in a orphange to being with. He didn't have the means to take care of him properly then, and he doesn't now. I think I read that he's re-married and fathered another child.

Default Sorry All The Way To The Bank

The guy may still have a claim - Malawian adoptions can be shaky, and a lot of rules were bent (Broken) for Madge. Also, that adoption has been under scrutiny in one form or another from the word go.

some background

CTV.ca | Judge to rule next week in Madonna case

Malawi's High Court said Monday it will rule in one week's time whether a coalition of Malawian human rights and child advocacy groups should help decide whether pop star Madonna is fit to adopt a motherless Malawian toddler.

Justice Andrew Nyirenda adjourned the case after hearing arguments from a 67-member coalition that includes the state-run Malawi Human Rights Commission and maintains that the adoption proceedings have been irregular. His ruling was likely to have far-reaching consequences in a country where, largely due to AIDS, an estimated 2 million children have lost one or both parents and hundreds are adopted by foreigners every year.

Madonna has said she met all the country's requirements. And David Banda's father, who put the toddler in an orphanage shortly after his wife died of childbirth complications, has said the human rights group's lawsuit threatens his son's future. But child advocacy groups have said the lack of clarity in Malawi when it comes to foreign adoptions could be exploited by child traffickers or pedophiles.

A High Court judge granted the Grammy Award-winning singer and her British filmmaker husband, Guy Ritchie, interim custody of David on Oct. 12, pending a decision on permanent adoption after an 18-to-24 months assessment period. Malawi regulations stipulate that the assessment period be spent in Malawi, but Madonna was allowed to take the boy to her London home soon.

"Basically what we are asking the court is that we want to be joined as a party to the assessment because we have a lot of legal issues we want to raise," Justin Dzonzi, chairman of the coalition known as the Human Rights Consultative Committee, told journalists after a 1 1/2-hour closed hearing Monday.

The judge said he would rule Nov. 20 on whether to admit the coalition as a party in the adoption proceedings.

Dzonzi has said his coalition was not trying to block the adoption, but wanted to be a party to the process to make sure Malawian laws were respected. His committee has petitioned the court to make sure no Malawian laws were broken and to allow the committee to help assess Madonna's fitness as a mother.

Dzonzi said Monday that Malawi's current adoption laws are archaic and routinely flouted to allow foreigners to adopt.

"Over 1,000 Malawian children are being adopted illegally every year and yet the laws says international adoption are not permissible," said Dzonzi, who is a lawyer. "There is no system to monitor how these adopted children are being treated, wherever they are."

"We want to use the Madonna case to make sure that the rights of children in Malawi are effectively protected."

The adoption has sparked debate inside and outside Malawi. Titus Mvalo, a lawyer the human rights coalition had hired to challenge the adoption proceedings, withdrew, apparently fearing he would be seen as trying to keep Madonna from adopting David -- even though coalition members have repeatedly said that is not their intention.

"I decided to withdraw because I thought that there was a high possibility of being misunderstood by society," he told reporters Monday, saying he thought it would be good for David to be adopted by Madonna.

On the eve of the hearing, the boy's father, Yohane Banda, reiterated his appeal for the human rights activists "to back off and leave my son alone."

"As David's father I consented. I see no reason why I should change my mind now," said the 32-year-old peasant who ekes a living from a modest onion and tomato garden.

Madonna's Malawian lawyer Alan Chinula told journalists as far as Madonna was concerned, all Malawian adoption laws were followed.

"If the laws are archaic it's not the Ritchie's fault," Chinula said.

Chinula said apart from complying with Malawian laws, the Ritchie's were complying with adoption laws in Britain. The couple has two other children, Lourdes, 10, and Rocco, six.

Malawi's Department of Gender and Child Welfare Development said a team of Malawian child welfare officers would fly to London to make the first assessment in May 2007 and one more assessment will be done by December 2007 before a report is filed on the suitability of the Ritchies as adoptive parents.

"We will work with child welfare officers in the county (where) the Ritchies are staying," said Penstone Kilembe, director of child welfare development.

Banda gave David to the Home of Hope Orphanage in the central border district of Mchinji, some 200 kilometers (120 miles)from the capital, Lilongwe, a month after his 28-year-old wife of 10 years, Marita, died of childbirth complications. His other sons had died in infancy from malaria.

The singer discovered David at the orphanage after visiting to promote Raising Malawi -- a charity she set up to assist orphans in the southern African country where.
    Malawi judge delays hearing in Madonna adoption

CTV.ca - Malawi child rights group to challenge adoption- CTV News, Shows and Sports -- Canadian Television

In Malawi, uproar over Madonna and child | csmonitor.com

Madonna's baby whisked out of Malawi - Times Online

That being said this is an obvious money grab. Madonna will whip out the check book and the guy will go away for awhile. Then there'll be another scandal (with Madge there always is) and he'll resurface with more second thoughts - "I'm not sure that this internationally notorious whore is really the right person to raise my innocent little son" - and his hand out. It'll go on until Madonna finally says "Okay take him back" - either to call his bluff, or out of sheer impatience. Of course then she'll be painted as even more of a bitch. Maybe she should just put the guy on her payroll - it would be less trouble in teh long run.
    Last edited by AgentOrange; October 20th, 2008 at 11:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information