Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree237Likes

Thread: 7th Heaven's Stephen Collins is a child molester

Interestingly, or rather, shockingly only about 5% of pedophiles are caught. So most psych studies on offenders are based on this small percentage of outliers. We really know very little about pedophiles from a psychological perspective.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I disagree with that Witch. Many are known in the therapeutic setting but not in the legal system, and are included in studies. Often the abuse is within the family and victims are still discouraged from going public. The majority of pedophile are attracted to just one gender, and more often than not, the attraction is adult men towards young girls. It is a mental illness, one that unfortunately claims young victims. Last year there was huge backlash when the American Psychiatric Association reclassified pedophilia as a sexual orientation in the DSM V. (WTF!!!) They reversed that decision quickly. I remember laughing at the press release when they reversed it and told us all to go by the DSM IV. I'll try to find their statement because it was interesting in how they have chosen to classify pedophiles.

ETA - found it.

In the case of pedophilic disorder, the diagnostic criteria essentially remained the same as in DSM-IV-TR. Only the disorder name was changed from “pedophilia” to “pedophilic disorder” to maintain consistency with the chapter’s other disorder listings.

“Sexual orientation” is not a term used in the diagnostic criteria for pedophilic disorder and its use in the DSM-5 text discussion is an error and should read “sexual interest.” In fact, APA considers pedophilic disorder a “paraphilia,” not a “sexual orientation.” This error will be corrected in the electronic version of DSM-5 and the next printing of the manual.

APA stands firmly behind efforts to criminally prosecute those who sexually abuse and exploit children and adolescents. We also support continued efforts to develop treatments for those with pedophilic disorder with the goal of preventing future acts of abuse.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I think it is funny that we can say a pedo looks creepy. Well sure he or she does after you know what they did or suspect what they did. Gives you creepy goggles if you will.
    witchcurlgirl and Lalasnake like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I disagree with that Witch. Many are known in the therapeutic setting but not in the legal system, and are included in studies.
    That's OK, we don't have to agree. But our laws make it seem less likely that pedophiles will seek help in a therapeutic setting. And most literature seems to say that the studies are mostly done on the convicted.

But the reason we don’t know enough about effective treatment is because research has usually been limited to those who have committed crimes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/06/opinion/pedophilia-a-disorder-not-a-crime.html

One challenge in the scientific literature is that most of the studies on pedophilia have involved men convicted of crimes against children, and experts estimate that only one in 20 cases of child sexual abuse is reported. It remains unclear how prevalent pedophilia is in the general population. Research on convicts may not apply to people with pedophilic tendencies who live without detection in the community or suffer silently while controlling their impulses.
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Mental_Health_Letter/2010/July/pessimism-about-pedophilia

Studying the disorder is complicated by the fact that, in the U.S., laws that went into effect in the 1990s require therapists and physicians to report to child protective services (and other authorities that vary by state) anyone they believe poses a threat to a child. The legislation trumps patient-doctor confidentiality in these circumstances. Since reporting a potential pedophile results in legal action, the law has deterred many pedophiles from voluntarily seeking psychiatric help—which troubles some researchers, since the disorder can be easier to prevent than treat.

As a result, almost all research on pedophiles is based on convicted sex offenders—those who have already acted on their desires—most of whom are or have been in prison. As Judith Herman, a psychologist who works with abused children at the Victims of Violence clinic in Boston told The Daily Beast in an e-mail: “Truthfully, I don't think the psychiatric profession has much of a clue about pedophiles. Most studies are based on…the 5 percent who get caught—a very unrepresentative group

What Science Reveals About Pedophilia - The Daily Beast

What do you think David means when he refers to people being "too scared of the legal and social consequences" to seek help?
    Many jurisdictions have passed mandatory reporting regulations for psychologists and other health care providers. Consequently, when someone who thinks he might be a pedophile comes in for counseling or therapy, the psychologist may be compelled by law to report the person to the authorities. That, of course, can lead to loss of the person’s job, family, and everything else. So, these people have simply stopped coming in at all, and instead of getting help to them, we now have pedophiles circulating in society receiving no support at all.

What Can Be Done About Pedophilia? - The Atlantic
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; October 10th, 2014 at 11:37 AM.
    Shinola and stella blue like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

After reading a lot of the things out there, especially that email from the wife, I think she's almost as disgusting as he is.

She knew this was happening or had happened. She even thought it was going to continue. She decided to sit on it for whatever reason.

Witch - that is all in a perfect world. Trust me when I say, therapists are not reporting people who come in for treatment because they say they have done something inappropriate with a child. The wording is so carefully presented that it gives the "out" for reporting. Many therapist also struggle knowing that treatment will stop if the person is reported, and are faced by family members and victims who beg that it not be reported. I don't have answers, and I actually lose sleep over trying to figure out a solution, but victims are often victimized even more once a case enters the judicial system, and it's difficult to decide the best action. Years ago, when I was fresh out of school and worked for the State, we reported a case believing it was best for the young girl. Her father was arrested, it hit the papers, she was the only daughter in the family, so everyone knew it was her. She was tortured in school and killed herself before her father ever had a hearing. I often feel like the arrest records should be sealed to protect the victims, but US laws prevent that. I could go on and on, but will end just saying the laws are far from realistic, and studies are not all they seem.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Therapists may not be reporting it, but the general public and therefore the pedophiles don't know that. The belief that it is being reported probably keeps many from seeking help.

Sluce does treatment work? I thought I'd always read it's pretty hopeless.

I'm obviously not an expert in this area, but I remember watching something not too long ago where one of the doctors/psychiatrists/profiler said that it's nearly impossible to rehabilitate a child molester. He said it was like changing your sexual preference. This is how they are born. They can sometimes suppress it, but that can be tricky and cause more problems. Where a fear of getting caught makes the molester do things that are even worse.
    chartreuse likes this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if I ever had those type of urges towards kids, and was afraid of acting on them, I would kill myself. I realize that I would have no positive place in society if I was sexually attracted to children.

I know it's controversial, but I wish more child abusers felt like this. They're most likely not going to change and you sometimes just have to do what is best for society, not yourself.
    Wilson likes this.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

This predator and his wife should both be in the clink.
    mostroop and BelledeJour like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, if I ever had those type of urges towards kids, and was afraid of acting on them, I would kill myself. I realize that I would have no positive place in society if I was sexually attracted to children.

I know it's controversial, but I wish more child abusers felt like this. They're most likely not going to change and you sometimes just have to do what is best for society, not yourself.
    The thing is you feel like that because you are NOT a child abuser
    Bellatheball likes this.

There have been some interesting AMAs by pedophiles on Reddit. The two I saw seemed pretty realistic and genuine. Anonymous, of course. One guy, I recall he talked about how something seemed to go wrong with his wiring around the age of 7 or 8. Like, at that age he liked girls his age in a normal way, got crushes or whatever. But then he never seemed to move on. At 14 he still felt the same way, though he was beginning to realize there was something wrong with him. He emphasized that he has sex with and feels attraction towards grown women but that's it's just not the same; little girls are almost magical for him, he just loves them so much. I believe he actually used the word magical, or at least conveyed that. He claimed, moreover, to have never done anything to a child and was determined not to. But either way, what a lousy life. It was interesting and very, very depressing to read. Because I mean, how could something like that be fixed? It seems so hopeless.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I would say the success rate is very, very low. There are many who have the urge, but do not act. That is the only population that I have seen find success but it is a constant struggle for them. They know it is wrong and work hard to fight the desire.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.

Sluce, they can't report it can they? Rock and a hard place. State laws that dictate reporting and then HIPAA and also confidentiality of the therapist/relationship.

Kathie, really? I don't know what to say. Except I am going to find some words. I rarely get all "up in there."

Reddit should shut that shit down. Now. By providing a discussion, they are potentially preventing someone from getting help.

Yes, I read this article about pedophiles and support groups: Meet pedophiles who mean well - Salon.com

Here's the thing: That thread gives those with the inclination to molest children jerk off or masturbate while reading.

You may be able to tell me it resulted in good things, at the end. I could not read it. I think it beyond the pale that there is a AMA about pedophilia.

US Laws require reporting if the person has, or has urges, to behave in a sexual manner with a child if they have kids, or work with kids. Germany is really the only country I know of that has put programs in place to help people with this sexual disorder before they act. In the US therapists find ways to get around reporting but will often set their own rules; require that the spouse also participate in some sessions if there are kids in the home. But tell me, what would you do when a family comes to you with a teen girl crying that Daddy touched her in a bad place, Mom and Dad are admitting it happened, Dad has moved out because of this, the family wants treatment,the teen is adamant that she doesn't want it reported because it will hit the papers, she is the only female child in the home, so everyone at school, church and the neighborhood will know what happened to her before she has had an opportunity to even begin to heal, she knows her Dad will lose his job, her family will have no money, and she will have to deal with all that on top of finally telling her Mom what happened. Do you say sorry honey, the government says we MUST report this, the law lets the press have access to all arrest records even before cases are heard in court, your Dad will be court ordered to treatment, probably won't really serve any time, but your life will be exposed so would you like to come in Wednesday at 4 so we can talk about it?

Keep in mind the legal mandate to report (Covered in the Child Protection Act from 74) overrides the patients rights an expectation to privacy and confidentiality. A few states give limited discretion in reporting if families are already in treatment when the abuse is disclosed but even they make it difficult.
    Last edited by sluce; October 13th, 2014 at 02:33 PM.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread Information