Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matt Damon: USA's problems could be solved if "people had thick passports"

Red face Matt Damon: USA's problems could be solved if "people had thick passports"

Matt Damon thinks Americans should be more internationally-focused.

"I think many of our problems as a country would be solved if people had thick passports," the actor, 37, tells Conde Nast Traveler in its September issue.

"There's just no substitute for actually going and seeing things," he says.

Damon, who says only 21 percent of Americans have passports, says that fame has made him want to do good.

"You start to feel a level of responsibility to direct attention to things that actually matter more than to silly things like who you're dating," he explains.

"For a lot of actors, our biggest fear is that we're going to start talking about things we don't fully understand and sound like idiots," he says. "In the long run, I'll do much more good if, when I open my mouth, I have something worth saying."

The father of 2-year-old daughter Isabella and step-father to 10-year-old Alexia is expecting a baby girl this fall with wife Luciana.

See photos of stars' bumps this summer.

Damon described a trip to Tanzania, where he visited a clinic and witnessed children receiving anti-malarial medicine.

"I realized that because of President Bush's malaria initiative, this baby had survived," he told the magazine. "American taxpayer money saved this baby's life."

He has encouraged both presidential candidates to increase aid to Africa.

"When you go to a country and see your fellow Americans feeding people or getting clean water or saving their lives, you are really seeing the best of us. We are exporting the best of who we are and who we should be," he says.

Damon also reflected on his rise to global stardom.

"I remembered as a kid sitting with Ben Affleck, dreaming of someday going to New York and becoming actors," he recalls. "Dreaming is a great thing."

source: Usmagazine.com | Matt Damon: USA's Problems Could Be Solved "if People Had Thick Passports"
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

Maybe you'd like to finance all these trips abroad for the average person who can't afford to travel.

Gold Member

Previously we didn't need passports to travel to the countries we visit most often, so duh...a lot of us didn't have one. Now that we do need passports to travel to Canada, Mexico, etc. that number will shoot up.

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    Maybe you'd like to finance all these trips abroad for the average person who can't afford to travel.
    Ain't it the truth,Honey!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Gold Member

I've met people who are content to never leave their hometown or home state and I'm like I wish I could afford to travel more - every long-distance trip I have has been a great experience - meeting interesting people, seeing spectacular places, exploring, having an adventure and I've only been around North America and some parts of Europe. I have friends from around the world and American friends who've traveled extensively and there are so many places I wish I could go. I have a coworker in her 40s who'd never been outside Indiana and then the job gave her the opportunity to go to China (I wish I could have gone) and since then she's been to India, probably 10 different European countries, Turkey, maybe other places. She's like a wide-eyed kid about her travels. I love seeing her photo albums afterward.

It's so sad when people say they don't want to be around people speaking a "foreign" language or eating "weird" food". I tell that that differences can be good, and in the immortal words of Depeche Mode, meeting people from around the world can help some people realize that "people are people."

ETA: Maybe Matt Damon can start a study-abroad program for us

Why even leave? There is so much to see here! This country is huge! And don't forget Hawaii and Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

"For a lot of actors, our biggest fear is that we're going to start talking about things we don't fully understand and sound like idiots," he says.
    Plenty of those actors/actresses say things coming outta their asses and they do sound like idiots.
    Rock the fuck on!

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    Why even leave? There is so much to see here! This country is huge! And don't forget Hawaii and Alaska.
    Because there is a big, very interesting world out there. It's good to experience other people's way of life and cultures. I'd love to be able to travel to lots of places. If people can afford to travel and are able to, then I say go for it.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    I've never been to Hawaii but I have been to Alaska, and I'm up to 40 states now and nothing can replace seeing the sites (the Grand Canyon, the Badlands, the Redwoods, the Everglades, the fog in Maine, etc. so many great places) and meeting the people all over, learning the history and seeing how people live. I once served as the "translator" between a shopkeeper in "backwoods Mississippi" (his words) and my friend who has a strong Chicago accent when they couldn't understand each other. Sometimes it's even silly little experiences like that that help me appreciate connecting with people.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by heart_leigh View Post
    "For a lot of actors, our biggest fear is that we're going to start talking about things we don't fully understand and sound like idiots," he says.
    Plenty of those actors/actresses say things coming outta their asses and they do sound like idiots.
    It doesn't help that some of them are kind of clueless to start with, e.g., Cameron Diaz is very well traveled, but she still made the faux pas with the Shining-Path-style bag in Peru.

SVZ

or drew barrymore when landed in some remote village and was like "we're in the middle of nowhere!!" actually no, you're in those people's homeland

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I have an affinity for losing passports. It's funny how the last page says "this is a replacement for a lost or stolen passport" The next one I get will say "This girl is a fucking idiot and this passport must be stapled to her forehead."
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    I have an affinity for losing passports. It's funny how the last page says "this is a replacement for a lost or stolen passport" The next one I get will say "This girl is a fucking idiot and this passport must be stapled to her forehead."
    You're probably going to end up microchipped Just kidding ... I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post

It's always good when you can laugh at yourself.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information