Thread: Up All Night With Amy Winehouse: Rolling Stone interview

Default Up All Night With Amy Winehouse: Rolling Stone interview

Up All Night With Amy Winehouse

Over beer, tea and banana sandwiches, the singer opens up about her jailed husband, her next record and her unraveling life

CLAIRE HOFFMAN

It's dawn on a hot sunday morning in June, and Amy Winehouse is inside her North London home, staring at her reflection in a dark tinted mirror, looking the tiny little body in front of her up and down, assessing the emaciated tattooed limbs, the jungle of a black beehive weave, the hallucinatory glow of her transparent green eyes. All around her, Winehouse's home is in disastrous disarray: Discarded bags of potato chips, crumpled nuggets of tinfoil, beer bottles, lingerie boxes and scattered old credit cards tell of a long night that hasn't ended in weeks, maybe months.

While Winehouse's Saturday isn't really over, her Sunday has begun with a shriek. The tabloids have hit the pavement and slapped her out of her weekend reverie with yet another high-decibel scandal. This time it's photographs and videos — leaked from a lost digital camera — that show Winehouse in various states of dereliction, all shot by her now-imprisoned husband, Blake Fielder-Civil. What's scandalous this time isn't the pictures of Winehouse surrounded by crack pipes (there have been too many of those this year) but a video of her singing to Fielder-Civil a ditty chockablock with racial slurs: "Blacks, Pakis, gooks and nips . . . deaf and dumb and blind and gay," she and a girlfriend sing goofily.

The morning headline reads "Sex, Drugs and Racist Rant," but at Winehouse's place, there's no publicist or manager to be seen, no crisis-management squad deployed to save one of the decade's most successful female vocalists from public shame. That's not Winehouse's style — it's just her and a girlfriend. British singer Remi Nicole pores over the paper, annoyed, telling her friend that all this scandal has to stop.

"All right, Remi, it's over," says Winehouse bluntly.

"No, but how did anyone know about you and Alex and Kristian?" Nicole asks her, referring to alleged extramarital dalliances by Winehouse reported in the press.

[The rest of 6-page interview is at Rolling Stone site]

I found the interview really pretty sad. She seems to have no desire to quit, and doesn't really acknowledge that she's playing Russian roulette with her life doing drugs like she does everyday. There is a profound denial there. It's like she accepts that living like that is normal and refuses to see it's waaaay fucked up.

smf

sad and the way he described her house

It is sad and it sounds like she's surrounded by sycophants.

she's an idiot crackhead who knows better, but chooses to get fucked up anyway.

No sympathy.

and clean your fucking house you slag.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

With each clip I watch of her, or each interview I read that she's part of, I dislike her even more.

I think she is an honest, open person. I know plenty of people like her - nothing is off limits to talk about. But her honesty is going to kill her. She's too flippant about doing drugs, she's not reserved at all. And she DOESN'T want to stop. It's not even the people around her, it's HER. She admits she was taking drugs throughout her rehab stay!

... and 'ew' about the photo of her giving head. I hope that never leaks out to the press.

She'll be dead soon enough.
    ssabmud

It really does sound like she is racist though. There were a few choice bits in the interview:

'It's 9 a.m., and outside the last paparazzi leave, shouting up, "Thank you, Amy!" "You're welcome!" she yells back, then she mutters, "You fucking gooks." And cracks up.'

and

'She opens the door, and on cue a firestorm of flashbulbs surrounds her, voices crying her name. "Amy! Amy! Amy!"

"I guess I should apologize," she starts, fluttering her eyes, swaying her hips, flipping and tucking her hair innocently.

"Don't apologize, Amy, don't apologize!" the photographers shout as they blast her with their flash fusillade. "We love you, and your friends love you!" "What next, Amy?" they cry. "What are you going to call your new album?"

She smiles, making them wonder if she'll answer, and then wickedly says, "Black Don't Crack."

I guess that last one isn't racist per say, but its just so inappropriate.

Oh, and its only a matter of time before this one leaks:

' She hands Nicole her laptop, which is caked in fingerprints and smudges, and asks her to show me the photographs of Winehouse and her husband making out, the two of them mugging for the camera like Mickey and Mallory, passing pills to each other with their tongues. Winehouse gets up for more food. Nicole continues the slide show, and suddenly the screen flashes Winehouse's blurry face, taken from above with a phone in one hand and a gigantic penis in her mouth. Nicole and I both look away. '

I haven't seen ONE live performance where she isn't slurring unintelligibly. Only her recordings sound good.

Interesting...she's a "Racist"...yet her music style sounds pretty "ethnic"...I honestly don't care if she dies or not over drugs...there will always be someone else with that rare singing talent, and looked upon as the next best thing...I just cannot feel sorry for anyone that chooses to kill themselves..sorry.

I know even good quality performers can sound bad or "different" live, but my point is that she so obviously SLURS and is clearly so high she can't really remember the words to her own songs that she wrote.

I guess in her condition though, it's still a feat that she lasted an entire hour up there.

i wanna like hug her

A*O

The first time I heard her on the radio I thought she was black anyway. She has that slightly 'cracked' (sorry that's not a pun) soul voice. A massive talent that's being totally wasted (oooops another pun).
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    she's an idiot crackhead who knows better, but chooses to get fucked up anyway.

No sympathy.

and clean your fucking house you slag.
    Ditto!

Thread Information