Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gwyneth Paltrow: Being a mom may hurt a career

Default Gwyneth Paltrow: Being a mom may hurt a career

Gwyneth Paltrow Photo by: Dennis Van Tine / Landov

Gwyneth Paltrow says that taking time off to be mother to daughter Apple, now 4, and son Moses, 2, made her feel forgotten by Hollywood.

In Cannes to promote Two Lovers, in which she costars with Joaquin Phoenix, the Shakespeare in Love Oscar winner, 35, expanded upon a comment made by Jodie Foster, who noted that Hollywood has a short memory.

"I really did not know if there would be a place for me," said Paltrow. "Jodie Foster was right, especially if you are a woman and especially if you are not 25. Hollywood is pretty cutthroat, and everybody has a short memory. There is always someone who is younger or hotter or prettier."

In terms of her own career, "I was very realistic of that fact there would not be room for me," said Paltrow. "I definitely knew I had lost my place."

She considers Two Lovers, a romantic drama set in Brooklyn, a shot in the vocational arm.

"It has given me a lifeline, because I had taken a long time off work," said Paltrow. "Going from being a mother at home for a long time, which was the greatest time in my life, but also feel like an artist again ... that was a gift for me."

Gwyneth Paltrow: Being a Mom May Hurt a Career - Movie News, Gwyneth Paltrow : People.com

Well, that's right, sadly, and not just in the movie industry...

Quote Originally Posted by Melyanna View Post
    Well, that's right, sadly, and not just in the movie industry...
    Yes, it's very true.

I stayed home with my kids for the first 10-12 years of their lives and then had to start completely over when I went back out into the world. No one would hire me for anything despite being perfectly capable for the jobs I applied to. It was quite discouraging.

Gold Member

Bitch needs to shut up. She will never understand what it's like for moms in the real world. She feels neglected by Hollywood? Awww, poor baby. She should try raising kids on minimum wage sometime.

She is a bit dingy from never knowing a moment's strife, but I can't really hate her for that. They interview her, she answers the questions honestly, and she has good intentions.

I really don't get all the hate directed at Gwynnie.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Dear Gwyneth,

I have tried to defend you for years. I thought you were so pretty and talented and cute, and charming and funny. But lately I just want to grab you by the hair and throw you into traffic.

You have no idea what it's like in the real world. You have no idea what it's like to be a mother with no nannies, with no money, who has to work all the time to scrape by. You have no idea what it's like to feel the panic that you may lose your job because you're pregnant. You have no idea what it's like not to take time off and not be penalized or stigmatized.

YOU are glorified. YOU can work whenever you want. So you're not Hollywood's sweetheart anymore, so what? You're still working, you have money coming out your ears, you struggle for nothing.

To sum up: SHUT THE F*CK UP YOU STUPID SPOILED BITCH.

Love,
    Lily

it's true.
    it's true whether you're a poor working mother or a rich one or a middle class one. so why shouldn't she say so if she's asked the question?
    i don't understand why the hell this pisses people off so much.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

It certainly is true

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

It's not true for Gwyneth. If it were true, she wouldn't be starring in a blockbuster, and appearing at Cannes.

It pisses me off, because she talks like she struggles. She doesn't struggle. At all.

WHICH IS FINE, but just stop pretending like you know what it's like to really, really have to deal with real life. She doesn't have a real life, and needs to stop talking. She seriously needs to shut her trap. Entitled twatwaffle.

I am SO glad she cut her boring ass hair!

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    Bitch needs to shut up. She will never understand what it's like for moms in the real world. She feels neglected by Hollywood? Awww, poor baby. She should try raising kids on minimum wage sometime.
    Word. Spend some time in the real world.

That's one of the most revolting thoughts I've ever heard from a mom.
    Three reasons to be teacher: June, July, August.

while i agree with her to some extent, this fucking bitch knows where her next meal is coming from, her kids have health care, she has money in the bank, and she actually has someone asking her opinion about this subject. my boycott of her started officially now.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Dear Gwyneth,

I have tried to defend you for years. I thought you were so pretty and talented and cute, and charming and funny. But lately I just want to grab you by the hair and throw you into traffic.

You have no idea what it's like in the real world. You have no idea what it's like to be a mother with no nannies, with no money, who has to work all the time to scrape by. You have no idea what it's like to feel the panic that you may lose your job because you're pregnant. You have no idea what it's like not to take time off and not be penalized or stigmatized.

YOU are glorified. YOU can work whenever you want. So you're not Hollywood's sweetheart anymore, so what? You're still working, you have money coming out your ears, you struggle for nothing.

To sum up: SHUT THE F*CK UP YOU STUPID SPOILED BITCH.

Love,
    Lily
    Word!
    In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on.
    Robert Frost

Gold Member

I do remember her saying when Apple was born that she knew how lucky she was to be able to stay home and have help.... I don't think her head is completely up her ass. She knows she's privileged.

Sorry, I can't help but defend her! I love me some Gwynnie P!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information