Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heath Ledger's daughter entitled to 'entire' fortune, legal experts say

Elite Member

Default Heath Ledger's daughter entitled to 'entire' fortune, legal experts say

Heath's daughter entitled to 'entire' fortune

Heath Ledger's toddler daughter Matilda Rose is entitled to the late Hollywood star's entire fortune, according to two New York legal experts.

The latest twist in the drama surrounding Ledger's multi-million dollar estate would give his parents and sisters nothing, despite being left the actor's fortune in his will.

A love child, a daughter now aged 11, who his family believe Ledger may have fathered with an older woman, would also miss out to Matilda if she challenged the will under Australian law, the lawyers conclude.

The will, filed with a Manhattan court after 28-year-old Ledger's death from an accidental drug overdose in January, was written two years before the birth of his daughter and puts the bulk of his assets into a trust.

The beneficiaries of the trust are his father Kim, mother Sally Ledger-Bell, sister Kate and half-sisters Ashleigh and Olivia.

However, under the intestacy laws of New York and California, Matilda cannot be "accidentally disinherited", lawyers Joanna Grossman and Mitchell Gans - both professors who lecture in law - have said in a paper published on respected legal website Findlaw.

"In this case, New York's intestacy laws lead us to a somewhat striking result," they write.

"Matilda, who was omitted from her father's will entirely, would be entitled to everything."

They cite a precedent in a 2003 New York probate case where a man's entire estate was given to his infant daughter even though he had executed a valid will leaving everything to his parents.

In a statement issued shortly after the will was made public, Kim Ledger said Matilda would not be left without an inheritance.

It is not known whether her mother, actress Michelle Williams, has challenged the will.

Williams, who met Ledger on the set of Brokeback Mountain, was estranged from him when he died.

However Williams' Sydney-based father Larry Williams yesterday said that he believed the will would be automatically revoked in favour of Matilda under New York law and no challenge would be necessary.

"Michelle is an independent person who will do what she believes is best," Mr Williams said.

The will listed $145,000 of assets belonging to Ledger in the US but his fortune, estimated to be worth $20 million, is mostly held in Australia.

Kim Ledger could not be contacted yesterday.

His spokesman said he was on a plane and anything to do with the will was "no one else's business."

Heath's daughter entitled to 'entire' fortune | NEWS.com.au Entertainment

Hit By Ban Bus!

I agree with that completely.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

i do too the poor girl, what a bastard he is for leaving her like that!

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^I know! If he was responsible enough to write a will years earlier taking care of his parents and sister, why couldn't he be responsible when he was older and richer and make sure his baby daughter didn't have to fight his parents over what is rightfully hers?

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    ^^I know! If he was responsible enough to write a will years earlier taking care of his parents and sister, why couldn't he be responsible when he was older and richer and make sure his baby daughter didn't have to fight his parents over what is rightfully hers?
    Because when you're downing the amount of pills this guy was, along with god knows what else, your brain probably isn't functioning clearly. I doubt when you're stoned, writing a will is at the top of your to-do list. Maybe we should ask Pete Doherty?

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah i think he's a bastard for killing himself. im sure she'd much rather have her dad than some $$$

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^True, that.

eta: to Alice and aabbcc

I agree, it should all go to Matilda.
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

Not very much left,was there?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

It should all go to his daughter. What bugs me is that this is even an issue. Why aren't his parents just giving her the $

Do you all think that his parents are going to fight for their part? against this litle girl?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    It should all go to his daughter. What bugs me is that this is even an issue. Why aren't his parents just giving her the $
    or at least dividing it up giving his daughter the bulk...... they seem to be less than honest.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Because apparently the dad is an uber greedy arsehole who defrauded his own brothers out of money from their (grand?) dad's estate. He has grossly misrepresented Heaths assets imo. There is no way that Heath didn't have millions, yet Kim submitted to the court documents saying he was worth only tens of thousands, and that amount included a cheap car and some furniture! I call BULLSHIT and he should be sanctioned by the court for that fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Because apparently the dad is an uber greedy arsehole who defrauded his own brothers out of money from their (grand?) dad's estate. He has grossly misrepresented Heaths assets imo. There is no way that Heath didn't have millions, yet Kim submitted to the court documents saying he was worth only tens of thousands, and that amount included a cheap car and some furniture! I call BULLSHIT and he should be sanctioned by the court for that fraud.
    Getting as much money as possible from his dead son. Nice.
    Maybe it's a new way of grieving

I don't blame him for not updating his will to include Matilda... I guess he thought he was invincible. I don't for a second believe it was ever his intent to not provide for her. I look back on photos where he is with her and he was so taken by her.

I think the money should have been shared between Kim, Sally, his sisters, Michelle and most importantly, Matilda. Kim's record proves he can't handle money. He sounds like a money grubbing asshole, and I think Michelle has a fight on her hand to provide Matilda with what she should be entitled to. I think Heath is worth millions, if his father is saying anything to the contrary it's a lie. I think his role in the Dark Knight would have paid handsomely, he also had real estate and I'm sure he had money somewhere from all his other movies. I'd be really shocked if he only had tens of thousands.
    ssabmud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information