Thread: Viggo Mortensen director's choice for Dances with Wolves the sequel

Default Viggo Mortensen director's choice for Dances with Wolves the sequel

A History of Dancing with Wolves?
    Date : May 8, 2008</B>Writer :Ramius ShareThisKevin Costner needs a hit like deodorant needs an under-arm. Not that he realizes it.
    Had an interesting chat with someone today (she is someone who should know!) about the long-awaited "The Holy Road", the follow-up to book/film "Dances with Wolves", which Costner hit the big time with in 1990.
    Seems the film, which again fixes on the character Costner played in the original, is progressing nicely. Just one hiccup, really : Um, Costner doesn't want to do it.
    Yeah, I said the same thing. "What!?, is he crazy?! He'll do rubbish like Dragonfly and Mr. Brooks, but he won't reprise his best role?".
    So, he's out.
    Director Simon Wincer ("The Man From Snowy River", "Free Willy") is on the search for a new 'Dances with Wolves' and the name we've heard that's the favourite to play the role right now is Viggo Mortensen. If Mortensen can stand pulling himself away from David Cronenberg for a couple of months, the role might do him so good. I think he'd be rather super in it, too.
    The producers seem to be treating this as a direct sequel to the original film so we can assume they'll be going after Graham Greene, Mary Mc Donnell and Wes Studi to reprise their roles from the film. Strongly doubt they'll, like Costner, knock an offer back.
    "The Holy Road", which is on target to film sometime in 2009, picks up eleven years later, with 'Dances with Wolves' married to Stands With Fist - they have kiddies, too - and the white man encroaching further on the lives of the Sioux as they build a railway, the titular 'Holy Road'.
    I'd say it's safe to say some subtitles are in order.

Moviehole.net - A History of Dancing with Wolves?
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Well if Costner won't do it (and more fool him), then Viggo sounds like a good alternative. But one of the things that made the original such a winner was Costner's direction. So how come that job's gone to Simon Wincer? Has KC really lost all interest in the character?
    A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.(Lana Turner)

Would this even make a good movie? It doesn't sound like there's much story there. Or is this based on an existing book?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Dances with Wolves doesn't need a sequel.

I love Viggo but I have to say that most sequels are not made well and don't help many actors. jmo
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Hit By Ban Bus!

Whoever choose Viggo hasn't seen A History of Violence, I was a big fan until that movie.

And just FYI, Kevin Costner's reputation may need a hit like deodorant needs an armpit BUT I can garunDAMNtee you his bank account does not! (which is prob. why he's passing)

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    Whoever choose Viggo hasn't seen A History of Violence, I was a big fan until that movie.

And just FYI, Kevin Costner's reputation may need a hit like deodorant needs an armpit BUT I can garunDAMNtee you his bank account does not! (which is prob. why he's passing)
    You didn't like a History of Violence. I thought it was good but then that is why we all have different opinions
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Hit By Ban Bus!

I freakin hated Dances with Wolves. It was a hundred years to long and the best actors died, the horse and the wolf.

Back away Viggo, just back away. Remember Hildago and leave with some dignity.

Water World, Dances with Wolves, Wyatt Earp, Robin Hood - put them together and you've got a years worth of sitting on your butt in the theater. I thought my kidneys were going to pop over Wyatt Earp.

^^ I don't know maybe it's me but I liked Hildago

As for Dances with Wolves I have to say that I didn't really watch it as it was way too long.jmo
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Thread Information