Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Ferguson makes herself at home in a council estate on ITV reality show

Default Sarah Ferguson makes herself at home in a council estate on ITV reality show

Her privileged background was of little help as the Duchess of York battled with her fluctuating weight.

So perhaps that's why she felt she could advise a family of six living on only £80 a week how to overcome their obesity problems.
    Sarah Ferguson has warned Britain is eating itself "to death" after spending the last six months with the family in Hull for a TV documentary. Scroll down for more...
    Part of the family: the Duchess of York spent time with the Sargersons at their Preston Road estate for her new reality show

Fergie described the Sargersons, including mother Tonia, as 'a lovely family'

She also says she could live in a council home and cope on handouts.
    The Duchess was challenged to improve the diets of the Sargerson family – who live on benefits in one of the poorest areas of Britain – for the ITV programme.
    During the months of filming, she stayed in a £40-a-night bed and breakfast, far away from the Manhattan penthouse she has made her home.In an interview with the Radio Times, she said: "I could live in a council house andbelow the benefit line, of course. Anyone could. Scroll down for more...
    Advice: Fergie tackles the issue of healthy eating in the upcoming two-part series

Lights, camera, action: Fergie spent several days a month for the past five months in Hull

"But I wouldn't smoke and I'd make it nice inside and eat green vegetables because I was brought up on a farm.
    "My daughters (Beatrice and Eugenie) might try fast food.
    "If, when they were young, I had $5 (£2.50) left at the end of the day and they were crying and I wanted them to sleep, I'd probably have put fast food into them – if it was the only thing I knew.
    "The problem is how do we get mothers to spend the $5 on fruit and vegetables and not fast food?"
    Asked if she could live like the Sargersons, she said: "That's a ridiculous question … Tonia (the mother) and I have identical views on certain issues, but we're not the same.
    "I come from a privileged background and have been educated.
    "However, it doesn't matter if you're titled or not.
    "You can always have weight problems and mood-altering days – and that's why it was lovely to feel the compassion of this family."
    A WeightWatchers ambassador for 12 years, the Duchess says obesity is an issue that must be tackled urgently.
    "One in three children is already diagnosed as obese and unless someone speaks up there will be an epidemic," she said.
    "We're eating ourselves to death .
    Healthcare will increase out of proportion,hospitals stuffed full. It upsets me when I'm put down, but on this subject critics can say all they like. I know my facts. I've spent 12 years studying sedentary lifestyles, poor nutrition and BMI (body mass index)."
    She added: "I used food for comfort and ballooned to 220lbs.
    "I didn't preach to the Sargersons and say, 'Stop smoking, and eating these things.' I said, 'This helped me, and it might help you.'
    "I asked how they wanted to change, and they had the selfrespect to do it themselves."
    The Duchess said that, despite their differing backgrounds, she got on well with the Sargersons.
    "It took the family 20 minutes to get used to me," she said.
    "They're very special – the salt of the earth, kind, loving."
    In the documentary, to be shown in the summer and provisionally entitled The Duchess in Hull, she is seen sitting round the kitchen table and watching TV with youngest daughter Olly.
    She is also seen discussing weight issues with the Sargersons' teenage daughter Terri. In the Radio Times interview The Duchess said she hoped to return to Britain permanently after 12 years abroad.

To Hull and back: Fergie makes herself at home in a council estate on ITV reality show | the Daily Mail

I love Fergie, but she and this "obese" woman she's counselling are honestly almost the same size.

And while we're on it, is this the fattest England has to offer? These people are overweight, but not the HUGELY morbidly obese folks you encounter in the U.S.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Silver Member

i can't wait to see this. I'm originally from Hull and that council estate is the pits. Makes Britney's trailer park look like Mayfair.

Look at that girls hair! Oh, my God!

shouldn't Posh be doing this? Telling everyone about the 900 calorie diet?

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I love Fergie, but she and this "obese" woman she's counselling are honestly almost the same size.

And while we're on it, is this the fattest England has to offer? These people are overweight, but not the HUGELY morbidly obese folks you encounter in the U.S.
    Not by a long shot; people in the UK are almost as obese as Americans are. We're talking one hand's worth of percentage points, almost within the statistical margin of error.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post

Look at that girls hair! Oh, my God!
    It's CHAVTASTIC innit????

Ooh, she's wearing a white scrunchie. Quick, somebody get Alice in here to see it.

Silver Member

The Royal Family are the ultimate benefits scroungers, so she fits right in.
    You just smile and roll your eyes to the back of your head.

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
    i can't wait to see this. I'm originally from Hull and that council estate is the pits. Makes Britney's trailer park look like Mayfair.
    I still live in Hull and totally agree with you - For anybody else in the UK that is going to watch this; we don't all have the same Hull common accent.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

The Uk has taken over as the most obese western country per capita. It was in the papers a few months ago and shocked the shit out of alot of people because they always ragged on the yanks for being so porky.

Anyway, Fergie should really shut up because I do not believe for one second that she could cope, long term, with living in a council estate on benefits. She'd last a week, tops.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

If I lived in a country where clotted cream was readily available, I would be as big as a house. SF would have to live with me 24/7. You gotta say, one of the big arguments, even here in the States, for obesity in poverty is that fattening food is cheaper. If she can show people how to find better food for less money, it is a good thing.
    “Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?” George Carlin

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by jlo25 View Post
    I still live in Hull and totally agree with you - For anybody else in the UK that is going to watch this; we don't all have the same Hull common accent.
    lol! Well my accent gets stronger when I'm visiting Hull I must admit but it's no where near as bad as the family in this doc. I'm in West Yorkshire now but gawd, i've been getting joke texts of friends about my roots in Hull since they broadcast it. One of them said 'are you the only person from Hull with their full set of teeth and doesn't wear gold creole earrings'

I can't really scoff too much as I come from a similar council estate, although it's not all boarded up like Preston Road!

A*O

Sarah Ferguson is full of shit. For someone who says that 'having a title isn't important' she never fails to remind everyone she has one. She's the worst kind of snob.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

what is she doing on some lame reality tv show? is she really that broke?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information