Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: FHM Magazine doesn't care about black people?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default FHM Magazine doesn't care about black people?

FHM doesn't care about black people

posted at XXL online
    I understand that King and FHM Magazine have different readerships, but the latter's "100 Sexiest Women" list is just absurd.

Megan Fox, the actress who starred in last year's Transformers movie, tops this year's list. I'm not too mad about her position. I know FHM usually only picks a few token black chicks for these lists, but this is a bit extreme. Out of 100 selections, only four black women, Rihanna (14), Beyonce (20), Selita Ebanks (27) and Halle Berry (33), were featured on this year's list. [See Entire FHM List Here]

Women like Gabrielle Union, Stacey Dash and Melanie B, were all excluded. At first I thought the aforementioned women were omitted because they weren't big enough, but I'm not convinced that college white boys know Selita Ebanks like that, so I doubt fame is that big of a factor.

According to FHM, nearly 9 million readers cast their votes for this year's list. I'm thinking the list was fixed. I mean, even huge stars like Alicia Keys and Mariah Carey didn't make it. Meanwhile, dudes had the nerve to put Ellen Page, the chick from Juno, on the list. Even worse, they put Maggie Gyllenhaal on there. Pfffttt! I'm no Polow Da Don, but I don't discriminate. I'd personally pick Alyssa Milano over Rihanna any day. But you can't tell me Gabrielle Union isn't more shaggadelic than Ellen Page or Maggie freakin' Gyllenhaal. Beg to differ? Speak on it!

Source

I was wondering when the race card would be raised. Really, I think it's a reflection of the industry in general, the fact that like 99 percent of the women in the industry (with the biggest roles, publicity, etc. etc.) are white. Of course it doesn't overlook the fact that overseas white starlets like Kiera are always on the list. But hey, it's the voters that voted so sorry this racism conspiracy by the magazine doesn't fly, if you want to be upset at someone be upset at the people that voted. Cripes already

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^ good point. Unless you can prove FHM rigged the voting it's the fault of the voters.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Mel B & Stacy Dash are way too old for FHM's readership. I'd say Mariah Carey & Alicia Keys are the only glaring admissions

Scary Spice isn't all that pretty imo.

Gold Member

Some people will cry about anything. The FHM list was decided by readers' votes. Should they start using affirmative action to determine the list if the voters don't vote for enough black women?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz, Can I complain that Megan Fox is brunette and not blonde! Blonde-ists! (Sarcasm) *Gets knickers in a twist*

It's a FUCKING POLL!!!!!

Besides, aren't women supposed to be judged on more than their appearances, like say, "talent" or other more worthy aspirations? Or is everything in society about looks.

Gold Member

The question I have is why all of the "hot black chicks" in the industry are mixed race, or at least multiracial with obvious European features. Look at the black women mentioned in this thread - Halle, Mel B, Alicia Keys, Mariah (doesn't even look black) are all the children of mixed marriages, and Selita, Rihanna, Beyonce, etc. all obviously have white heritage.

Why can't a 100% black chick be considered hot? It seems that even in the black community, there is this huge issue of colorism, where the mixed race, lighter skinned women are considered hotter.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I've always thought Naomi and Iman were hot but her daughter by David Bowie is cute too. I say to each his/her own!

Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post
    The question I have is why all of the "hot black chicks" in the industry are mixed race, or at least multiracial with obvious European features. Look at the black women mentioned in this thread - Halle, Mel B, Alicia Keys, Mariah (doesn't even look black) are all the children of mixed marriages, and Selita, Rihanna, Beyonce, etc. all obviously have white heritage.

Why can't a 100% black chick be considered hot? It seems that even in the black community, there is this huge issue of colorism, where the mixed race, lighter skinned women are considered hotter.
    I understand what your saying. The media does use mostly half black people or really light skin black people. But most, if not all people of African desent in the Americas have mixed ancestry. Blacks have been mixing with other "races" for a while, so you wouldn't really find an 100% black person there. You'd be more likely to find a 100% black person in Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by tragicallyflawed View Post
    I understand what your saying. The media does use mostly half black people or really light skin black people. But most, if not all people of African desent in the Americas have mixed ancestry. Blacks have been mixing with other "races" for a while, so you wouldn't really find an 100% black person there. You'd be more likely to find a 100% black person in Africa.
    I totally agree with Purple and your posts. They always pick Black females that look light or mixed. I've discussed this before but same thing happens with the 'Black' themed magazines and many of their models/cover models are very light. I understand many Black Americans have some mixed racial background in their family history, but I think what Purple's trying to say is why don't they consider "darker" Black women to be beautiful? I think dark Black women are very beautiful and don't subscribe to the 'whiter is better' mentality so prevalent in the world today.

Hit By Ban Bus!

So is Naomi 100% black?

It was really awesome when Alek Wek became a supermodel in the fashion industry, but she never has had the crossover marketing success that more light skinned women have. So I think that is a very valid point.

However, who the f*** would put Scary Spice on a sexiest women list?? Come on. Gabrielle Union, for sure. Stacey Dash... dunno. Meagan Goode? Oh hell yeah. Sanaa Latham? I'm with you.

But then my list of the sexiest 100 women would be far far far different from FHM's in every respect. I dunno if their readership's problem is racism so much as stupidity and bad taste!!!
    The Gen X Eurotrash Jetsetters Club:
    A place for internationally minded celebrity haterz to come together in peace and harmony

Quote Originally Posted by ingi View Post
    So is Naomi 100% black?
    Dark skin isn't an indication of not being of mixed ancestry.

Dark skin black women are usually more accepted in Europe.

This is Iman and David Bowie's daughter

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information