Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Viggo Mortensen may play Edgar Allan Poe

Default Viggo Mortensen may play Edgar Allan Poe

I never thought about him playing Poe before but he is so diverse imo that I think he might be good in that role.

Scoop: Viggo Mortensen Is Edgar Allan Poe

By Josh Tyler: 2007-11-14 01:46:54

Sylvester Stallone is currently busy finishing up work on Rambo IV, and may even end up doing a Rambo V, but the Sly project I’m most interested in is the one he’s doing after Rambo, a film about tortured poet Edgar Allan Poe. The movie’s traveled a rocky road to get going, but it’s starting to look like Poe will actually get made. If the film finally does happen, we may know who Stallone is casting as his Edgar Allan.

Tonight we got a fittingly strange email (Poe and weird just go together), which appears to be from one of our regular scoopers. This is a guy who’s given us at least somewhat reliable information before, so this could actually be something. Or, it could be just another Stallone related hoax, like the Stallone for Shutter Island rumor some fell for earlier this week. So read on, and take this for what it is: unconfirmed rumor.

Our source says, “Stallone has recently met with Viggo Mortensen and has offered him the role of Edgar Allan Poe in the film. Mortensen is consdiering the role although he wants some slight revisions in the script.” Yep, Viggo Mortensen could end up doing drugs and quothing the Raven for Sly. How cool is that notion?

At one point Robert Downey Jr. was rumored to be up for this part, but that was so long ago he’s almost certainly moved on by now. Viggo Mortensen is currently shooting a movie called Appaloosa for Ed Harris, but after that he may be free to squeeze something like Poe in. Of course with the strike on, who knows when they’ll be able to start filming Poe anyway, so scheduling wouldn’t be a problem. And if what our source says is true, then it sounds like he’s not only been offered it, but he’s at least a little interested in it.

As I write this it’s a little after midnight, which means there’s no chance of getting any confirmation until morning, and even then odds are slim I’ll be able to reach anyone. Isn’t everyone in Hollywood either at home or standing in the street striking? We’ll give it our best shot though, and let you know as soon as we’re able to get some sort of official word on the validity of this rumor.

Personally, I’d love to see Viggo try something like this. He’s done some amazing work since Lord of the Rings, but almost all of it has played in some way on his action hero persona. This would be a chance for him to toss out all the muscle-bound action junk and simply act.

UPDATE! We've been able to get a little more information from our source this morning, and a lot of what he's saying checks out. This is starting to look credible. Additionally, our source has also told us that if Viggo doesn't take the part, Clifton Collins Jr. (recently cast in Star Trek) and John Hawkes are being considered as backup options for the role.

Scoop: Viggo Mortensen Is Edgar Allan Poe
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

If anyone could freak out from a heart beating under the floor board, it'll be Viggo.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Imo, Viggo is such a diverse actor, I think he can play almost any role under the sun and nail it.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Viggo is 50 and Poe died at age 40. Poe married his 13 year old cousin.. that should make for uncomfortable romance on the big screen.
    Lets see Poe died in Baltimore; the cause of his death is unknown but has been attributed to alcohol, brain congestion, cholera, drugs, heart disease, rabies, suicide, tuberculosis, and other agents.. at the Richmond Museum they said he died of diabetes.

Well that should give old Viggo something to sink his acting chops into... quote the Peach "never more"

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    Viggo is 50 and Poe died at age 40. Poe married his 13 year old cousin.. that should make for uncomfortable romance on the big screen.
    Lets see Poe died in Baltimore; the cause of his death is unknown but has been attributed to alcohol, brain congestion, cholera, drugs, heart disease, rabies, suicide, tuberculosis, and other agents.. at the Richmond Museum they said he died of diabetes.

Well that should give old Viggo something to sink his acting chops into... quote the Peach "never more"
    Back then people marrying their cousins happened fairly often, seems strange today doesn't it? I think Viggo would be great in this role, but he is a bit too old for the part.

My favorite Poe store is "The Mask of the Red Death" while "Ligeia" would be a fantastic goth film.

Elite Member

I'd watch him in anything. Eastern Promises was fab. u. lous.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Too. Fucking. Cool.

Poe was unhealthy as hell. He probably looked more that 50 when he died, so Viggo will be fine in the role.

Annabelle Lee is my favorite poem andThe Murders in the Rue Morgue is the trippiest story, ever.

Franklin Roosevelt married his cousin, but in his defense they weren't very close. He spent much more time with his mistresses.

awesome.. can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
    Back then people marrying their cousins happened fairly often, seems strange today doesn't it? I think Viggo would be great in this role, but he is a bit too old for the part.

My favorite Poe store is "The Mask of the Red Death" while "Ligeia" would be a fantastic goth film.
    I'd rather see someone like Viggo Mortensen do this than a "pretty boy talking head' (Pitt/DiCaprio/Afflet/etc), but I guess it depends on the writing.
    Because of this I'm prepared to overlook the 10 year age difference.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Franklin Roosevelt married his cousin, but in his defense they weren't very close. He spent much more time with his mistresses.
    hahaha! Trust you!
    I found out recently that one of the Mr's employees married his cousin... not that they lived close to each other he was in the UK & she lived in the US.....
    Free Charmed.

Ohhh, I never thought of this, but I think he would be perfect. He is older than Poe at the time of his death, but he looks great for his age.

Even now, in certain communities, US included, incestuous marriages to keep the blood line "pure" is encouraged.

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

I simply adore Poe. I think Downey, Jr. would be better for the role, however. Poe was an incredibly tragic figure and endured such loss. I can see Downey in the role more easily.

Poe married his cousin, imo, because when he moved in with that family, it was the only time in his life he had a true sense of family and happiness. When her mother threatened to send her to live with cousins, the idea of their "family" being broken up is what made Poe step forward and declare his love for her. Apparently their married life was incredibly happy.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?” George Carlin

I think Viggo would make a fantastic Poe.

Viggo is a terrific actor and I can def. see him nailing this role. He has that inner freakyness about him.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Ed Norton would be my pick, ever see American History X - he can do off the wall.

My fav was "the Bells" by the time I finished saying The bells, the bells the bells bells bells.. I felt a little tortured and demented my darn self. To bad they didn't get paid for their work back in those days he died poor and yet is the father of the short story.

btw his cousin only lived 2 years after they got married.. and Poe was not a very good looking man.

Viggo does have the chops but I think he's to pretty but he does do ugly well too..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information