Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andrew Lloyd Webber 'weary' after working with American Idol finalists on their songs

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Andrew Lloyd Webber 'weary' after working with American Idol finalists on their songs

Andrew Lloyd Webber works with 'Idol' finalists

Andrew Lloyd Webber works with 'Idol' finalists
    The six contestants will sing the British composers works tonight.

God of theater though he may be, a day of rehearsing with the six remaining contestants on "American Idol" left Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber ready for a break. "We have a rather weary composer here," he said by telephone moments after finishing up with the Idols. "It's probably best to define him as de-composer."

An American television singing competition may seem the oddest place to find the man who has owned musical theater for three decades, dominating Broadway with a string of sensations, including "Jesus Christ Superstar," "Evita" "Cats" and "Phantom of the Opera," but the grand man of the stage had flown in to serve as "Idol's" guest mentor, guiding the surviving six warriors of song through their Tuesday night performances, which were devoted to his songbook.

Looking back over his day with the contestants, Lloyd Webber was cautiously hopeful that his works would survive their encounter with American reality television, and he enthused about the singers whom the show has fielded. Not having seen the show on air this season, he said after working with the group, "The six kids were really in their own ways all very talented. I think that in their own way they're a pretty diverse bunch, and in their own way they've all got something."

Although Lloyd Webber was barred "under pain of death" from revealing the song choices, he did speak of being struck by one moment in particular. "The girl who I was really quite impressed with was Brooke. She was really -- I got something out of her. I mean, whether or not, you know, that is there at the end, I really couldn't tell you.

"The one thing is working with me, one on one, where I'm on the other side -- I'm sort of actually, in her case, holding her hand to get the performance out of her. It's very different than sitting in a great big television studio with a big audience and you've got a camera in front of you. So, one will have to see."

For the contestants, having to transition from the pop hits of Mariah Carey and Dolly Parton to the character-driven songs of the Lloyd Webber catalog counts as one of the season's major tests. Asked how he trains pop singers for a song such as "Memory" from "Cats," Lloyd Webber said, "With that song in particular, it's very much about understanding the words, because they're very heavily based on T.S. Eliot and the four quartets. And it's a song that is very, very much word-driven as much as it's music-driven, of course. The relationship of the music to the words is important.

"It's a different value that happens," he said, speaking of pop singers taking on his works, "because you get people who've got the -- as they say -- the money notes. And with a song like 'Memory,' you absolutely can get through it on those. But it may not be the performance, if I was there, I would direct them to do."

If he seems to be speaking from experience, it is because "American Idol" is not Lloyd Webber's first step into reality television. Back home, the composer has helmed a series of TV competitions to cast West End productions of beloved musicals, starting with the search for a Maria for "The Sound of Music"; the title role for "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat"; and the series now airing, auditioning the role of Nancy in "Oliver."

Lloyd Webber summed up the experience of watching the "Idol" cast perform his work. "I hear my songs all over the place, all over the world. You hear versions of them where they work, but they're not necessarily what I would do if I were there and were able to have input to the artist, which is why it is quite interesting to have a bunch of kids singing my own music. Very strange choices some of them made as well." He laughed. "But I'm not allowed to tell you about it."

Source

Gold Member

ALW has very odd mannerisms...he's just an odd dude.

^^^I have found most artistic geniuses are at least a little out of their minds.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I thought he was pretty arrogant, actually. And, seriously, Brooke?? She's the least talented and she gets the most praise. Is she fucking for compliments or something?

I don't care how whacky he is, the man gave the world the music from Phantom of the Opera, so with me he can do very little wrong.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

i was REALLY pissed at him for remarking about Jason and picking Memories. so fucking what if he picked it? he picked it, move on. but that old fart just couldnt do it. i dont care how famous you are, there's no call for the insult to Jason. I bet Jasons fanbase had no clue that 'a cat' sang it.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

^LOL when he blew a kiss at the end of his interview segment.
    Also,when he told David Cook to pretend he was the object of his affection.
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    i was REALLY pissed at him for remarking about Jason and picking Memories. so fucking what if he picked it? he picked it, move on. but that old fart just couldnt do it. i dont care how famous you are, there's no call for the insult to Jason. I bet Jasons fanbase had no clue that 'a cat' sang it.
    I agree. It was pompous and uncalled for. I liked the fact that Jason understands that he doesn't have a Broadway voice and so he sang the song in a way that he's capable of- mellow, heartfelt, low-key, and as a male instead of dressing up like a cat and belting out the song as a power ballad, which is probably what ALW wanted him to do. At least he remembered the words and stayed on key, unlike ALW's favorite. If he wants to talk about a "trainwreck" and snootily wonder aloud how someone could possibly be pleased with their performance, he needs to talk to Brooke.

And yes, Jason did seem somewhat like a kid being forced to sing at a wedding, but that's understandable. He was being forced to sing a cheesy Broadway song that's totally out of the scope of this competition on a night with a theme that never should have been considered in the first place.

A*O

ALW is such a precious luvvy. I know he's married, etc but he SCREAMS musical theatre queen to me. He is everything I dislike in a man [shudder].
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

What? You don't like stubby eccentric prissy-pot hobbits?
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

He looks like the fricking Hunchback of Notre Dame.

I laughed when Jason said 'I didn't know a cat sang it'. The musical is only 'Cats'. Good thing you're gorgeous, boy.

No idea why everyone sucks up Brooke's ass, I see through her. Her 'YOU MUST LOVE ME' acting almost made me throw up.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    What? You don't like stubby eccentric prissy-pot hobbits?

Well apart from the one I married, no
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I don't care how whacky he is, the man gave the world the music from Phantom of the Opera, so with me he can do very little wrong.
    ITA. He is a genius,not beauty contest winner or there to be Miss Congenaility. Look how many wonderful musicals he has given us!
    Also, he was trying to help Jason. He almost got axed because he wouldn't listen to someone whose whole life is music. The others seem to make the most of this opportunity. Look for Sayesta on Broadway or maybe she'll get a whole show written just for her!
    I love this man and his talent.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

It's not his looks, it's his luvvy demeanour. Gives me the creeps. But then again I can't watch musicals of any kind - I don't know why but once someone starts singing it makes my toes curl with embarrassment.
    Dame Edna Everage

I remember Sarah Brightman saying he had a big dong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information