Thread: Hitmaker Ne-Yo "bored" by urban music, would like to do Beatles-influenced tunes

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Hitmaker Ne-Yo "bored" by urban music, would like to do Beatles-influenced tunes

R&B singer Ne-Yo "bored" by urban music

As he prepares to release his third album in as many years, R&B singer/songwriter Ne-Yo says he is "a little bored" with urban music.

The genre has served him well, to be sure. His first two albums have both been certified platinum, and he has co-written such monster hits as Beyonce's "Irreplaceable," which spent 10 weeks atop the Hot 100 singles chart in 2006.

But "Year of the Gentleman," due June 24 from Def Jam, finds the 28-year-old Arkansas native -- real name Shaffer Smith -- venturing into "more worldly" territory.

"There's some stuff on there that sounds like something the Beatles might've done," Ne-Yo told Billboard. "There's some stuff on there that sounds like something Billy Joel might've done. I can't do just straight urban music no more, because to be completely honest with you, I'm a little bored with it. I'm just moving with what music excites me now."

An early preview does indeed indicate something a little different from traditional R&B: "Closer" is a Stargate-produced club track with pulsing strobe-light synths and a high-energy house beat that calls to mind Rihanna's "Don't Stop the Music."

"So You Can Cry" sports a mellow, easy-listening vibe, with Ne-Yo making a priceless rhyme of "pity party" and "calamari." Guitars and cymbals figure prominently in "What's the Matter," which Ne-Yo likens to "a Beatles-style rock record."

But will the little girls understand? Def Jam wants to expand Ne-Yo's audience beyond its core of 16- to 24-year-old females.

"The records he's written don't just speak to young black girls," says Ashaunna Ayars, Def Jam's VP of marketing. "We're trying to build an adult audience that appreciates his music as well."

Part of the strategy involves Ne-Yo opening for Alicia Keys on her two-month North American tour, which begins Saturday in Hampton, Va.

"That partnership gets him in front of the more mature fan base we're after," Ayars says.

But Ne-Yo is anxious about overdoing the stylistic experimentation.

"My worry is that I'll do something that's so far left of what I've already done that it's going to go over my fans' heads. I pray that my fans are smarter than that."

And he hopes they will understand that if he keeps writing songs like "So Sick" or "Sexy Love" or "Because of You," both he and they will eventually get bored.

"So Sick" -- a song that slyly predicted its own inescapability on the radio -- reached No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. It was drawn from his 2006 debut "In My Own Words," which has sold more than 1.5 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. His follow-up, "Because of You," has sold 935,000 copies since its release last May.

He says he always envisaged the third album would mark a musical departure, and was expecting "to chill for a minute and really take some time to figure out what I wanted that to be. Fortunately, it didn't take me that long, which is why the album's coming out now."
    R&B singer Ne-Yo "bored" by urban music - omg! news on Yahoo!

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

If he wants to do that, he should go for it. I just hope he receives support from his fans.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkly View Post
    If he wants to do that, he should go for it. I just hope he receives support from his fans.
    ^I agree!

It would put a cool and interesting new twist on today's r&b music.

I bet he could pull it off!

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

By all means, please explore new avenues. I'm getting tired of the same old shit as well.

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

SVZ

I like Ne-Yo. And Chris Brown.

I agree completely. But than I saw the picture and it kind of turned me off...lol.

Thread Information