Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kylie Minogue's bid to crack States fails as album bombs

Default Kylie Minogue's bid to crack States fails as album bombs

Despite an operation which would have put the military top brass to shame - Kylie's bid to crack the US has been a resounding flop.

The Aussie singer's tenth studio album limped into the Billboard charts at No.139 yesterday, selling just 5,500 copies.

The star landed in the US at the beginning of April with a great hurrah, hoping to conquer the States with the same loveable pop princess image which has cemented her popularity in Britain.

Scroll down for more...

Disappointing: Kylie's bid to crack the US has resulted in disappointing sales, and she failed to crack the Billboard 100 after her album debuted at No.139

She dressed up in a bondage-style outfit and dragged over sister Dannii Minogue to sing with her on one of the most popular shows in the U.S., Dancing With The Stars, and opened her heart about her cancer misdiagnosis on the Ellen DeGeneres Show.
    But sales of X have been disastrous, especially when compared with Leona Lewis's astonishing performance. The X Factor winner became the first British woman to top the American charts for 20 years.
    A source said of Kylie: "She'll be very disappointed not even to make it into the top 100."
    The pop singler had dazzled audiences with live performances of new single All I See and shocked viewers of chat show Ellen with the revelation that doctors initially missed her breast cancer.

Scroll down for more...

Publicity: Kylie's publicity blitz was carefully orchestrated with appearances on all the major US chat shows

So where did it all go wrong? Critics have blamed the flop on Kylie's choice of single.
    All I See was yet to be tested in Britain – a country in which she has had seven No.1 singles.
    But one person unlikely to be surprised by the prolonged failure Stateside is the singer herself.
    She said: "'It's a notoriously difficult market. To know where I fit is very difficult."
    Scroll down for more...

Kylie performed new single 'All I See' on Dancing With The Stars in a racy bondage style outfit - but failed to win over the American music-buying public

The 39-year-old last made it into the top three in the US 21 years ago with The Locomotion – and now she'll be hoping she doesn't have to wait another 21. Meanwhile, in stark contrast to Kylie, singer Leona Lewis is expected to sell more than 200,000 copies of her album and she looks set to be the first British female to go straight to No1 with a debut.

Flop in the USA: Kylie's bid to crack States fails as album bombs | the Daily Mail

Ha. Ha. HA. Take that you crooked eyebrow bitch.

A*O

She only cracked the UK market because she appeared in a very popular Aussie soap there 25 years ago so people knew who she was when she stopped acting and started her 'singing' career. She's too old now to sell the pop princess bullshit and she's not a particularly good singer anyway. It's all window dressing.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

kylie's variety of dancey eurotrash pop has never been big in the US.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

when will kylie realise that her music is not good and her singing ability is zilch.. and like A*0 said her popularity here and in England is because of Neighbours.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

I didn't know she released an album over here. It probably would've sold had she not tried to pretend she was still 20 yo.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

wasn't she 39 when can't get you outta my head came out?

Hit By Ban Bus!

I saw her on Craig Fergusen and thought she didn't have a very good voice. I wanted to like her though, all the rough time she's had and all but I don't like her enought to plop down money for her music.

A*O

She's a big gay icon here in Oz but that's probably because she's so camp and trashy. She could just about get away with it in her 20s and early 30s but she's 40 now so the whole 'cute princess' thing look ridiculous.
    Dame Edna Everage

I blame the botox

She thinks shes still sexy and cute. But she is middle aged and had her time in the sun. America doesnt go for middle aged women. Does anyone? Nope. Give it up Kylie, the shows over.
    Jack I swear.

I still like some of her songs, but her image would'nt sell here in the states. She was trying to be like Madonna in a way (older but still young) and she failed at it. Sad

A*O

Poor Kyles. She's stuck forever in a 1980s timewarp. Unfortunately she just doesn't have a good enough voice to 'mature' into more appropriate material so she will forever be the singing budgie. I think she should just retire while she still has some dignity and go and work in a donkey rescue sanctuary or something. Or perhaps settle down with a man who's prepared to put up with her high maintenance diva shit.
    Dame Edna Everage

I love her, but she is too old now. You can listen to songs like Where the wild roses grow and Confide in me, but when you listen to that new stuff it is hard to believe it is from the same person.

I think she has lost her way in the music business, she had times when she was really interesting and now she tries too hard to be like everyone else.

She probably is too tired now because she had had cancer and now she is just trying to do things she is not capable. I think it is sad, she had had such a bad luck in everything lately.
    we don't have to make love to have an orgasm

I saw her on Craig too, and thought she seemed
    like a nice cute lady. I've only ever heard her name
    through GR and really have no idea who she is or
    what she does.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information