Thread: Sean Combs is the "king of design"

Default Sean Combs is the "king of design"

If Sean Combs' star turn in ABC's adaptation of "A Raisin in the Sun" and random appearances on MTV's "Making the Band" weren't enough, now comes the MTV documentary "If I Were King," premiering Wednesday night at 10.

The behind-the-scenes special offers an inside look at Combs' preparation of his fall 2008 collection for New York Fashion Week, his first runway show in five years. It also marked the Sean John label's 10-year anniversary.

Inspired by 1995's "Unzipped," about designer Isaac Mizrahi, Combs let cameras catch his every move and mood swing leading up to the show.

"This type of access is new for me and it wasn't always comfortable, but after a while, I forgot the cameras were there and you get to just see the truth," Combs told the Daily News yesterday. "And as far as my background, not coming from design school and some people not even knowing that I do the actual designing, I thought it would be an interesting story and I thought it would be inspiring and educational for other upcoming designers."

Combs also has another show premiering on MTV Saturday at 2 called "Sean John: Internship by Design," in which four New York City design students compete to become an intern at Combs' fashion label.

Comb's says his Sean John line is not just hip-hop or urban, but "for all colors and races."

"It's really for today's man," said Combs. "It's an aspirational lifestyle line."

Preparations for the fashion show began six months in advance, and some days Combs said he'd spend almost 22 hours working on his designs, collecting fabrics and even hearing messages from God.
    "I'd walk down the street and I'd see hats or full-length coats, and when you're in that mode, you think everything coming to you is God sending you a message, but he's really not even talking to you," Combs said. "You're just going crazy."

One more serious issue "If I Were King" deals with is the diminishing presence of black models in the fashion industry.

"It's something that I feel really strongly about, that black models are not really getting a fair shot," said Combs. "That's why I decided to do an all-black cast for my show."

The lighter notes of "If I Were King," however, include Combs walking around in his underwear, burning his breakfast and having what he calls "spaz-outs."

"There are a lot of different funny, personal moments," said Combs. "You'll see the Sean John side of me. It's a whole different side from my recording artist persona. It's not the 100% sure swagger."

Sean Combs is the 'King' of design

Messages from God????? Self delusional much?

Check out the photo of the mouth breather with the measuring tape

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

...Who, Diddy? Yeah, right.

I guess he is the 'king' after helping to kill Biggie. Allegedly.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I guess he is the 'king' after helping to kill Biggie. Allegedly.
    What! I do NOT believe that! This guy is creative-not a killer! If he had helped, Biggie would have died in a more glamorous setting!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    What! I do NOT believe that! This guy is creative-not a killer! If he had helped, Biggie would have died in a more glamorous setting!
    With a soundtrack of fake rapping and shitty music sampled from other singers playing in the background. It's the lifestyles of the rich and nobitchassness.

i really tried to watch Raisin in the sun, but it was just too drawn out. his acting wasnt so bad in the hour that i watched it though.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Thread Information