Thread: Kylie Minogue: Doctor misdiagnosed my cancer

Default Kylie Minogue: Doctor misdiagnosed my cancer

A doctor mistakenly gave Kylie Minogue the all clear when she had actually had breast cancer, the Australian singer told Ellen DeGeneres yesterday.

A nervous-looking Minogue told DeGeneres that she had never publicly discussed the misdiagnosis before, but was inspired to speak out after an earlier guest on the show, U.S. presidential hopeful Senator Hillary Clinton, emphasized how vital early breast cancer detection is.

"Listen, this is an opportunity for me to say something that I have not said before," said Minogue when DeGeneres asked her about her own battle with the illness two years ago. "I was misdiagnosed initially. So my message to all of you and everyone at home is, because someone is in a white coat and using big medical instruments doesn't necessarily mean they are right."

Though Minogue did not reveal the date of the error, where it took place or how long she went before she got a second opinion correctly diagnosing her illness, she said it happened before her 2005 Showgirl concert tour.

"If you have any doubt, go back again," urged Minogue, who is currently in remission.

DeGeneres also told the audience she had a mammogram and was given the all clear, but then "a couple of weeks later" she found a lump in her breast and had it removed.

"I had no intention of [talking about the misdiagnosis] today," said Minogue to DeGeneres. "But with what you were talking about before, I didn't realize it was a subject so close to your heart as well."

Minogue is in the U.S. promoting her new album, X.

Kylie Minogue: Doctor Misdiagnosed My Cancer - Music News, Kylie Minogue : People.com

So she still has it, or doesn't?

^ she doesn't...i think she went into remission sometime last year

from what she says i dont know if 'misdiagnosed' was the right word. she had a mammo, had the all clear, THEN found the lump. this happens sometimes, which shows that the mammo can sometimes miss something.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Why the big secret about it? She's just talking about it now? She should have been talking about it all along, she can be a great voice for breast cancer awareness. I guess she's still really upset about the cancer & didn't want to talk about it. She's been through a lot. A mammogram found 3 spots on my breast the size of a pin head, mammograms are very important. No cancer for me but I had to have them removed.

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    from what she says i dont know if 'misdiagnosed' was the right word. she had a mammo, had the all clear, THEN found the lump. this happens sometimes, which shows that the mammo can sometimes miss something.
    The problem with mammograms is they're really not accurate for women under the age of 50. The breast tissue is more dense when you're younger so it's hard to differentiate between breast tissue and a lump. They both show up as white. I'm suprised she had a mammogram actually. In Australia it's not something we do unless there's a big family history of breast cancer. Even then, it's not something you use alone to diagnose.

^^^ i agree. its just a shame she used to word misdiagnosed. she wasnt misdiagnosed.

i found one small lump in my breast. turns out that wasnt cancer. however, the mammo found one huge one (that i didnt feel) on the side of my breast, and another one in my ARMPIT.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Wow, that must have been a shock MsDeb! So glad they caught it early enough!

How often do they ask you to have a mammogram in the US? Here it's every 2 years if you have no history of breast cancer.

cancer is scary shit. i agree it wasn't a misdiagnosis, but a missed diagnosis. always get a second opinion.

my gyno found a lump in my breast 2 years ago and told me no worries its just a cyst. i believed her but still went to a separate doctor for a biopsy because i needed to know for sure. all is well it is just a solid cyst the size of a shooter marble (like an inch big ball) i'm only 24 but i do have a friend who is my age and just beat lymphoma in her breast. no chances taken. plus cancer, especially breast cancer runs in our family too much to risk it.
    I'm a hard act to follow because when I'm done, I take the microphone with me.

I go once a year since age 35. After the mammo finding the pin head sized spots I know the importance of them. Some women believe the horrow stories they hear. It isn't that bad & can save your life. I have a cyst right now & the radiologist showed me the pictures. First time they ever talked to me & showed me the pictures right on the spot. It was nice not having to wait for a letter or visit the dr to find out for sure it's a cyst.

My doctor didn't find my breast lump with an exam or mammogram the first time around. It took an ultrasound.

So yeah, I think 'misdiagnose' is the wrong word.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I agree Lola, misdiagnose is the wrong word.

I remember when Kylie was first diagnosed, it caused quite a few misinformed news stories here (there's a shock) about women under 50 being turned away from mammograms and how disgraceful that was. They didn't get that you can't screen everyone because, although the patient gets them for free, someone has to pick up the tab. You'd be shocked at how little the funding is for breast screening even though breast cancer is such a big problem for women. And, as I mentioned before, for women under 50 the mammograms aren't as reliable. It's too easy for a tumour to be confused with normal breast tissue as it usually looks the same.

Thread Information