Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul McCartney remembers Linda McCartney on 10th anniversary of her death

Default Paul McCartney remembers Linda McCartney on 10th anniversary of her death

Just weeks after finalizing his $50 million divorce from Heather Mills, Paul McCartney is making headlines again – this time for an emotional interview about his first wife, Linda, who succumbed to breast cancer 10 years ago.

McCartney tells Britain's Sunday Times Magazine he can still recall their first meeting, "probably 40 years [ago], at the London nightclub Bag O' Nails.

"There was an immediate attraction between us," he said in the article, which coincides with an exhibition of Linda McCartney's photographs at the James Hyman gallery in central London.

His pick-up line? "My name's Paul. What's yours?" McCartney told the paper. "I think she probably recognized me. It was so corny, but I told the kids later that, had it not been for that moment, none of them would be here."

Fond Memories

The 65-year-old former Beatle has recently been spotted on a Caribbean getaway with American businesswoman Nancy Shevell, but it's obvious he still cherishes his memories of Linda, a photographer and cookbook author, who died at age 56.

"When we went for a drive, Linda always wanted to get lost," he reminisced, adding that she was "always very beautiful." "We would go down to the most obscure places, have a great time, find a little tearoom or a riverbank. She taught me little things like that, to relax and be down to earth."

He also seemed to make pointed comparisons between Linda and Mills, whose efforts to court the media often backfired. "She didn't go on TV and say, 'This is who I am – hello' and try to ingratiate herself," he said. "She was just a great person to hang out with: very funny, very smart and very talented ... Her priorities were private rather than public."

On the 10th anniversary of her death, McCartney also recalled Linda's courageous final days. "She didn't know she was dying," he said of his first wife, who had already had chemotherapy. "I talked it over with the doctor and he said, 'I don't think she would want to know. She is such a strong, forward-thinking lady and such a positive girl that I don't think it would do any good.' "

In fact, Linda remained active right up to her death on April 17, 1998. "She was fighting right up to the end," McCartney said. "Even on the day before she dies, she was out on horseback. She loved riding so much. Sometimes she'd get up on her a horse and I'd say, 'You don’t want to get down, do you?' She preferred it up there than on the ground."

Paul McCartney Remembers Linda on 10th Anniversary of Her Death - Music News, Paul McCartney : People.com
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Should say "Paul makes play for sympathy"

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

^^That's what I thought when I read this in the paper yesterday. I can't wait until the british public goes back to mocking this old woman. Sure he had a rough time with the one legged bandit but hey, if he hadn't been thinking with his dick as well as his ego he wouldn't have gotten himself into it in the first place.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Dicks have a mind of their own..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Elite Member

Paul was lonely and Heather made her move when he was vulnerable. That's her strategy. I feel badly for him. It was a terrible, public (and expensive) lesson to learn.

Hopefully he'll stick to dating rather than marrying. His heart will always belong to Linda.

Paul was horny and not only was he getting laid by a young woman, he was also able to come off like a hero because she's disabled. I don't believe for a second that that wasn't part of the decision making process for him.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I can't believe Linda's been gone for 10 years. I remember when she died vividly, for some reason. Regardless of Paul's motivations in the intervening years, I believe he loved Linda, and misses her dearly.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I believe he loved her as well and that he misses her a great deal, probably even more so now. But I think the timing of this article is not in the best of taste. Loving someone doesn't mean you're exempt from being a self-serving idiot.

--Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    But I think the timing of this article is not in the best of taste. Loving someone doesn't mean you're exempt from being a self-serving idiot.
    And I'll agree. I especially think he would've done well to leave out the thinly veiled comparisons between Linda and Heather.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Meh. Just trying to remind everyone that he once had a halfway decent, normal marriage cause he's still reeling from the embarrassment that was the entire Heather debaucle. Just highlights the dumbassedness. He'd do better to fade into the woodwork for awhile and keep the public appearances and written interviews strictly business (i.e. about the music).

And Paul, if you truly want a relationship free of drama, craziness and potential money-grubbers: Next time don't be a shallow prick and try a broad closer to your own age who doesn't give a fuck about being famous herself and is past the baby-making age and ready to be a grandparent like yourself, relax and enjoy life. Y'know, stuff you would be doing with Linda if she were alive.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Good advice, Mrs. Dark. But men can't be trusted not to think with thier dicks.

--Sinclair Lewis

Geez, the fucker is 65 years old. You'd think what his dick wanted wouldn't take center stage anymore. Along with that wallet thing. That hit probably hurt more than a kick in the nuts.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Hit By Ban Bus!

Paul is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Should say "Paul makes play for sympathy"
    I don't think so. His ordeal with Mills has made him nostalgic. Sometimes you don't appreciate what you had, until you get something much, much worse.

Hopefully he'll stick to dating rather than marrying. His heart will always belong to Linda.
    I think that would be wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Paul is dead.

Another PIDer?
    I don't want to perish like a fading horse - best lyric ever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information