Thread: Mariah Carey passes Elvis Presley for most #1 singles (w/digital download help)

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Mariah Carey passes Elvis Presley for most #1 singles (w/digital download help)

Mariah, Madonna Make Billboard Chart History
    Mariah Carey

Two leading ladies, Mariah Carey and Madonna, leapfrog over Elvis Presley in the Billboard charts record book this week.

As expected, Mariah Carey moves past Elvis Presley and into sole possession of second place for most No. 1s in the rock era, as "Touch My Body" soars 15-1 on the Billboard Hot 100 to become her 18th chart-topper. With her album "E=MC2" yet to hit retail, Carey might equal the Beatles' record of 20 No. 1s before her set runs its course.

"Body's" blast to No. 1 is fueled by a record-setting debut week digital tally of 286,000 downloads. That sum, good enough for the No. 1 slot on Hot Digital Songs, surpasses the 277,000 downloads labelmate Rihanna opened with in the June 9, 2007, issue with her summer smash "Umbrella."

Presley will also be nudged from his standing as the artist with the most top 10s in the rock era, as Madonna surpasses him with her 37th top 10, "4 Minutes." The track, which features Justin Timberlake, clocks a 68-3 jump. Previous to the establishment of the Billboard Hot 100 in 1958, the industry standard chart was the Best Sellers in Stores tally, where Presley scored his first 12 top 10s.

Like Carey's "Touch," Madonna's Hot 100 jump is spurred by stupendous download sales. "4 Minutes" shifts 217,000 in its first week of wide release (it had been available as a Verizon exclusive) to enter Hot Digital Songs at No. 2.

This is the first time since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking digital sales in 2003 that two titles debut simultaneously on Hot Digital Songs with more than 200,000 downloads each. The week also marks the best single-week digital tally in either artist's career. Mariah, Madonna Make Billboard Chart History

May I be the first to say

WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE?!?!?!?

She's a talentless git. Name me ONE song with heartfelt, poetic lyrics that aren't written in a simplistic grade 3 rhyming scheme.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Well honestly...I think her older albums were good, but after what was it rainbow..or no butterfly it got pretty bad.

Hit By Ban Bus!

It's all a fraud, her 'lambs' buy 50-100 downloads each and make a one week jump happen.

Oh god, she would have never made in industry that makes only good music sale. She sounds like a dying goat.

This is just lame. She cannot be compared to Elvis.
    we don't have to make love to have an orgasm

I cant name one Mariah Carey song, but I know every word of every song elvis ever recorded (even the old ones). When he was making records there was no internet technology that allowed millions of people to access his music. What would it have been like if there was? There werent as many people back then as there are now. And they had lots less money. You cannot compare Elvis to Mariah Carey. People wont be singing her songs in 40 years but they will still sing Elvis songs.
    Jack I swear.

Hit By Ban Bus!

'We Belong Together' was aiiright as Randy Jackson would say, but TMB is pure junk.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

This isn't saying much about her or Madonna, because Elvis died in 1974 (I think) and it took them THIS LONG to beat him. We have to remember that music downloads weren't available back then. If Elvis were still alive, I can't imagine the number of albums he would have sold.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Eh. I don't get the Mariah Carey fascination people like Randy Jackson have. When she first started out her voice was good,but as the years have gone by her voice has turned to shit. She is not that great.

Babe the Pig can get all of the number ones she wants, but she'll never reach the status of Elvis or the Beatles.

WHo in the hell is downloading this garbage? Her voice sounds like she's gasping for air and her new song is pure shit.

Poor Elvis. If he only knew...
    No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world

Hit By Ban Bus!

I think her voice is still spectacular after all these years (try singing the last chorus of WBT when she jumps an octave!) but this latest single does NOT showcase that. It is a really shitty song, wholly undeserving of the number one slot. Her songs are always so vapid and bubblegummy, with the exception of her first two records.

Thread Information