Thread: Sean Levert dies in jail

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Default Sean Levert dies in jail

O'Jays son dies after taken from jail

03/31/2008 2:36 PM, AP

Singer Sean Levert, a third of the 1980s R&B trio LeVert and son of lead O'Jays singer Eddie Levert, has died after falling ill while serving a jail term. He was 39.
    Authorities said Monday that an autopsy was inconclusive but foul play was ruled out.
    Levert was sent to the Cuyahoga County jail last week for failing to pay child support. He died at Lutheran Hospital in Cleveland late Sunday, less than an hour after he was taken there from the jail, said coroner Frank Miller.
    His brother Gerald Levert, who had success as a solo artist after leaving their trio died in 2006 at age 40 of an accidental mix of prescription and over-the-counter drugs.
    The brothers had formed LeVert in the 1980s with childhood friend Marc Gordon. Their hits included "Baby I'm Ready," "(Pop, Pop, Pop, Pop) Goes My Mind" and "Casanova."
    "Casanova" was nominated for a Grammy in 1988 for best R&B performance by a duo or group with vocal. It was also nominated for best R&B song.
    At Gerald Levert's funeral service in November 2006, Sean Levert and his father performed "Dance With My Father" and personalized the words for Gerald. The elder Levert's group, the O'Jays, was known for such smash hits as "Back Stabbers" and "Love Train."
    Sean Levert found a new third partner last year and was trying to revive LeVert.
    An autopsy was done Monday but no immediate cause of death was determined, according to Powell Caesar, a spokesman for the Cuyahoga County's coroner's office, but he said there was no evidence of foul play or trauma.
    Levert suffered from high blood pressure and had been hallucinating in jail, Caesar said. Toxicology reports could take four to six weeks, he said.
    Warden Kevin McDonough said earlier that Levert had been sick and guards were watching him at the jail's regular cellblock because he had been acting strangely. Sean Levert had pleaded guilty last week to six counts of nonsupport involving children ages 11, 15 and 17.

I had never heard of Levert before I bought my house. Then I started getting letters every week for Gerald Levert asking for signed autographs, etc. Turns out he rented my house with his ex-partner who he owed lots of child support to. It has been 13 years and I still get about 2 letters a year for him.
    Last edited by sluce; March 31st, 2008 at 03:36 PM.

OMG, that is so strange!

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I had never heard of Levert before I cought my house. Then I started getting letters every week for Gerald Levert asking for signed autographs, etc.
    Well that's that sideline over, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Rondette View Post
    Well that's that sideline over, then.
    LOL - at the beginning I would forward them to his ex-partner. Then I started throwing them out. I should have gotten some pics of him and sold them. Never thought of it!!!

I feel so sorry for the Dad, to lose two sons. Dad and Gerald such great singers

Interesting story sluce!

I remember hearing and liking Levert's song Casanova on the radio when I was younger. I never knew they were sons of the O'Jays singer. Makes sense now.

And 39 is so young to die. What a shame, and his brother too, I agree I feel for the father.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    LOL - at the beginning I would forward them to his ex-partner. Then I started throwing them out. I should have gotten some pics of him and sold them. Never thought of it!!!
    you should write back to them...from the GRAVE OOoOooOooo!
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Quote Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
    I feel so sorry for the Dad, to lose two sons. Dad and Gerald such great singers
    Agreed. I can't imagine what their father's going through. To lose one kid is bad enough, but two.

Levert's family asks FBI to probe death
    56 minutes ago

The family of R&B singer Sean Levert wants the FBI to look into his death after a jail medical emergency.
    His cousin, Michael Gibson, said Levert never had any outburst such as the type described by Kevin McDonough, warden at the Cuyahoga County jail.
    The 39-year-old Levert died Sunday night at a hospital after he was taken from the county jail where he was serving a one year and 10 months sentence for failure to pay $89,025 in child support.
    McDonough said Levert was pounding on his cell door so guards strapped him in a restraint chair; Levert's breathing became shallow and he was taken to Lutheran Hospital, where he died less than an hour later.
    An autopsy did not determine the cause of death. Toxicology tests are expected to take weeks.
    FBI spokesman Scott Wilson says agents would meet with Levert's family.
    Sean and his brother Gerald Levert, who died in 2006 at age 40 of an accidental mix of prescription and over-the-counter drugs, formed LeVert in the 1980s with childhood friend Marc Gordon. Their hits included "Baby I'm Ready," "(Pop, Pop, Pop, Pop) Goes My Mind" and "Casanova," which was nominated for a Grammy in 1988 for best R&B performance by a duo or group with vocal. It was also nominated for best R&B song.
    Gerald Levert left the group to start a solo career.

Thread Information