Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The most overexposed celebrities include Britney Spears and Paris Hilton

Default The most overexposed celebrities include Britney Spears and Paris Hilton

I would include Brangelina, the Beckmans, Jennifer Aniston, and Katie Holmes to the list as well.

The Most Overexposed Celebrities

By Lacey Rose, Forbes.com
    March 27, 2008, 4:55 pm PDT
    celebs: Britney Spears | Paris Hilton | Lindsay Lohan | George Clooney | Anna Nicole Smith | Sanjaya Malakar | Tom Cruise | Kevin Federline
    topics: Train Wrecks

X17
    Forbes

Not all press is good press, no matter what the publicists say.

Consider pop tart Britney Spears, whose every move from club-hopping to head-shaving has grabbed gobs of tabloid ink. But rather than earn her adoration, the recent media onslaught has resulted in eye rolls. And worse.

According to studies by Encino, Calif.-based E-Poll Market Research, which provides appeal rankings for more than 3,000 celebrities, 72% of the U.S. population would use the term "overexposed" to describe Spears in 2007, as compared to only 54% five years earlier. To put that in perspective, most celebrities average between 3% and 7% during the peak of their careers. Worse: During that same period, her "talented" score, the presumed basis for her celebrity, fell from 35% to 25% on the E-Poll index.

In Pictures: The Most Overexposed Celebrities

More galleries on Forbes.com
    But Spears isn't the only star to have worn out her public welcome. Among others who audiences have tired of: Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, and the late-Anna Nicole Smith's lover Howard K. Stern. And while overexposure may have less to do with the precise number of headlines than it does the public's perception of the celebrity, the 15 stars on our list have proved that familiarity can, and does, breed contempt.

So who's to blame? The stars, or the tabloids that cover them?

Blame the celebs, says publicist Stan Rosenfield, whose clients include George Clooney and Robert De Niro. "It's like the juggler's lament: The balls go where you throw them," he says. "If you show up at places that are covered by the media, then they're going to cover you. And if you don't [show up], they won't."

It comes down to how these celebrities choose to lead their lives, adds In Touch Weekly editor-in-chief Richard Spencer. Risk-free lives don't sell magazines. "No one wants to read about the cup of tea and the great banana bread [a star] made yesterday," he says. "What gets exposure? Kissing a guy at 4 in the morning."

And while E-Poll Chief Executive Gerry Philpott agrees that the press can only build somebody up or tear somebody down so much, he argues that the 24/7 attention that the Internet provides expedites the fame trajectory, and the exposure that comes along with it. The result: "You can go from zero to 60 in exposure like that," he says. "And, for that matter, 60 to zero."

He cites "American Idol" cast-off Sanjaya Malakar, who comes in at No. 11 on our list, as an example. Consider this: when we ran this list in early fall, the public knew nothing of the subpar singer or his many wacky hairdos. Some seven months later, the polarizing contestant is lining both the glossies and the blogs, even scoring an invite to the White House Correspondents' dinner.

That kind of attention can be a turn-off for some, especially those like Tom Cruise or Lindsay Lohan looking for respect as an artist. But for others, like Malakar, that overexposure may not be a bad thing, opines Jake Halpern, author of "Fame Junkies: The Hidden Truth Behind America's Favorite Addiction." For them, Halpern says, it's all they have. And more importantly, without it they cease to be celebrities.

"You're only a celebrity as long as you're in the dialog of popular culture," he explains. And if you don't have your work, be it a movie or an album, to keep you in that dialog, you are forced to rely on exposure.

Spears' ex-husband Kevin Federline, who ranks third on our list, serves as another example. Without the music career he hoped would take off -- Federline's debut album, "Playing With Fire," opened to critical disdain and lackluster sales -- it's his tabloid presence that continues to open doors for his celebrity. Among the latest rewards: a gig as the AXE Bodyspray pitchman.

"For certain celebrities, it becomes almost a survival instinct," says US Weekly Editor-in-Chief Janice Min of that need for attention. "And after a period of time out of the press, there's sort of a hunger or craving to get back in."

But how easy is it to win back the people's favor, and thus the press', once you've lost it?

Very easy, according to Philpott. "In this country, we love to build people up, tear them down and then build them back up again," he says.

But Ellis Cashmore, author of "Celebrity Culture," argues that staging a comeback is far easier for some than it is for others. The dividing point, he claims, is talent. And without it, he questions what the celebrity can come back with.

A star like Spears, on the other hand, can use her singing and dancing skills to win over fans, he says. What enabled the pop star to rise to fame initially will be the thing that can bring her back again.

In the meantime, Rosenfield offers this advice for all overexposed stars: "How can I miss you if you don't go away?" he says. "Just go away."

The Most Overexposed Celebrities - omg! news on Yahoo!
    Last edited by viggofan; March 30th, 2008 at 04:27 PM.
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Any list that doesn't include Brangelina is crap.

Put FULL NAMES in your title please

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Any list that doesn't include Brangelina is crap.
    True.

And any overexposed celebrity list that doesn't include Beyonce and calls K-Fed and Sanjaya celebrities loses any credibility.

My list:

Brangelina
    Paris
    Britney
    Lohan
    Winehouse
    Tom & Katie
    The Kardashians

Go away please.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    Put FULL NAMES in your title please
    Honey I actually didn't know what to do in this case because the title of the article didn't have any names at all so I included them so that I at least had a name in it as the rules state.

I still don't know how to change a title of a thread.
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Hit By Ban Bus!

Thing is for all the Brangelina rants, they get quoted and aired when they aren't even in the house case in point - all the publicity about them getting married in New Orleans, they weren't even there.

It's those that go out seeking publicity that bug me, you know the ones that "forget" their underwear Britney, Lindsay and Paris. I can't stand Micha Barton either.

JMO

Viggo, you click the Edit button at the bottom of your post. Then click on Go Advanced, that lets you change the title field.

And maybe I'm an extra special kind of tard, but it took me forever to figure out that "Full Names" referred to first and last names. I thought it just meant no nicknames (like Britney instead of Brit or Angelina instead of Veingelina.)

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Viggo, you click the Edit button at the bottom of your post. Then click on Go Advanced, that lets you change the title field.

And maybe I'm an extra special kind of tard, but it took me forever to figure out that "Full Names" referred to first and last names. I thought it just meant no nicknames (like Britney instead of Brit or Angelina instead of Veingelina.)
    Thank you I truly appreciate you help.
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    My list:

Brangelina
    Paris
    Britney
    Lohan
    Winehouse
    Tom & Katie
    The Kardashians

Go away please.
    Brangelina - absolutely, very annoying, do-gooder famewhores.
    Paris - 110% agree... please do the world a favour and fuck off.
    Britney - self-explanatory.
    Lohan - Yep... no-one gives a shit about you anymore.
    Winehouse - Love her, but honey get it together or just fuck off OK.
    Tom & Katie - Hmm, almost worth keeping around for pure entertainment value cause they are COMPLETELY FUCKING CRAZY!
    The Kardashians - Especially Momma K... and the bitchy sister... & Tush... oh, and the wanker father... oh, OK, all of them.

And now a few more:

Reality Show Types - Esp. New York, Bret Michael's Skanks, Flavor Flav's Skanks, The Bachelor/ette try-hards, American Idol Losers, American Idol Winners, Dancing Try-hard Stars, etc etc.
    The Simpsons: Jessica & Ashlee - You both suck. Please leave the planet.
    Tyra - Go make Pluto's Next Top Alien... preferably on Pluto.
    Pete Doherty - Please just die. I'll look after your cats.
    J-Lo & Skeletor - Lock your baby-pimping asses in your baby-pimped-out nursery and STFU.
    Beyonce - I just want her to put on a big old white fur coat, move to Antarctica, and get gang-banged by a rogue group of polar bears.
    Diddy - Ditto.
    Heidi Klum - You're out.
    Zac Efron - Get a haircut & get a real job.

And you know I'll starting reading more threads and think of a million more people to put on my list. It's just the kinda mood I'm in today.
    vaya con dios

Quote Originally Posted by MissVenus
    The Kardashians - Especially Momma K... and the bitchy sister... & Tush... oh, and the wanker father... oh, OK, all of them.
    Heck yes. I happened to flick on their tv show the other day and thought 'Wait, how are these people so fucking important that I should be watching this crap?'

Oh and they even have a True Hollywood Story!

Quote Originally Posted by viggofan View Post
    Honey I actually didn't know what to do in this case because the title of the article didn't have any names at all so I included them so that I at least had a name in it as the rules state.

I still don't know how to change a title of a thread.
    Sorry if I sounded like a bitch but you get in trouble from the scary mods if you don't include first names and surnames

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    Sorry if I sounded like a bitch but you get in trouble from the scary mods if you don't include first names and surnames
    no problem I appreciate the heads up.
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

I don't mind seeing Kim
    But I think a lot of celebs are definitely overexposed! That's a no brainer.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

My list:

The Kardashians
    Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt
    Paris Hilton
    Lindsay Lohan
    Britney Spears
    Jennifer Aniston
    JLO
    Brangelina
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information