Thread: Angela Bassett gets Hollywood star

Default Angela Bassett gets Hollywood star

Angela Bassett gets Hollywood star
    associated press
    Angela Bassett has had good days — becoming a mother to twins, winning a Golden Globe, being nominated for an Academy Award. Then there was Thursday.
    "Do you ever have one of those days? I woke up and the sun wasn't really shining but then it burst through the clouds and it was glorious. Hallelujah!" Bassett exclaimed to the crowd at the ceremony for the 2,358th star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
    Bassett, 49, was joined by husband Courtney B. Vance, their children and guests Forest Whitaker, Laurence Fishburne and Rick Fox, her co-star in the new film "Meet the Browns," out Friday.
    Fishburne, who starred alongside Bassett in 1993's "What's Love Got to Do With It," highlighted Bassett's resilience in the industry. She landed an Oscar nomination for the role portraying Turner triumphing over abuse.
    "You get a lot of no's in this business and you have to have that desire and determination which is what Angela has," Fishburne said.
    Whitaker gushed that Bassett was "a powerful artist, a beautiful person, a mother, a wife, a friend who illuminates my life."
    Born in New York City and raised in Florida, Bassett snagged bachelor's and master's degrees from Yale before starting her career in theater and then moving on to film.
    Her film credits include 1998's "How Stella Got Her Groove Back."
    At the ceremony, she recalled moving to Los Angeles from New York in 1988.
    "I meant to stay six months but I stayed. Today my cup runneth over!" Bassett said. "I am crying now, I cried yesterday and the day before. ... This day is so, so special to me."

Good for Angela. She's one of my favorite actresses. And she killed it as Tina Turner in What's Love Got To Do With It?

Aww, that's great! She has certainly paid her dues. I love Angela!
    Rock the fuck on!

Congrats to her

Love her. She deserves this and more.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

guess she had some extra cash laying around.. don't you usually need to win an oscar for this? Seems everybody and their dog has one
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    guess she had some extra cash laying around.. don't you usually need to win an oscar for this? Seems everybody and their dog has one
    Nope...don't need nothing but a "donation" and I believe a petition or something like that. A lot of times fan clubs will pony up for it.

She is a beautiful woman. And extremely smart as well. Saw her interviewed recently and she just shines.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Why?

Good for her. She's an amazing talent. I love this woman.
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

Thumbs up

Great to hear!....finally...She is one of my all-time favorite actresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

My dog doesn't have one, yet. ;[

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Nope...don't need nothing but a "donation" and I believe a petition or something like that. A lot of times fan clubs will pony up for it.
    It actually costs to get a star on the Walk of Fame? Yes it does; let us explain how it works. The Walk of Fame is overseen by the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce. The process is frequently initiated by the performer's management or reps; however, anyone can submit an application to the Chamber nominating a celeb for the honor with the approval of the celeb's representation. Recently, it has become increasingly common for fan groups to sponsor Walk of Fame stars.
    During the course of a given year, the Chamber accepts nominations; the selection committee announces their picks in June for the following year's inductees. An average of 20 nominees are selected yearly to receive a star in one of five categories (film, television, recording, stage or radio), from a typical 200 or more applications received. Once the celebrity is selected, payment of $25,000 is required to seal the deal. (Yes, the amount was recently increased by the Chamber). This fee is used by the Chamber to pay for the plaque as well as the cost of the induction ceremony.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

There is something so sexy about this bitch. Have always really liked Angela.
    And she is have one of my favorite movie scenes ever: dousing her hub's Benz in gasoline with all his clothes in it and setting that shit on fire. Waiting to Exhale. Classic.
    I fell in love with her then. .

Thread Information