Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In 'who cares' news, A.J. McLean of the Backstreet Boys "can finally speak his mind"

Default In 'who cares' news, A.J. McLean of the Backstreet Boys "can finally speak his mind"

Taking a long-awaited side trip, A.J. McLean says his first solo project will let fans know "who I am outside of the Backstreet Boys."

"It feels good, man. It's really been 15 years in the making," McLean, 30, tells PEOPLE.

While he's not leaving the group, and will soon be heading out on a European tour with his band-mates, McLean is stepping out on his own for two concert appearances this Sunday and Monday in California, performing songs from his album that comes out later this year (Get a sneak peek of the music on his Web site.)

"Once I got sober things really kind of kicked into gear for me," says McLean, a recovering alcoholic now six years sober. "Everything I was feeling, I started just putting it down with pen on paper and applying music to it."

Audiences who catch his solo shows (including shows at small venues throughout Europe after the Backstreet tour ends May 15) won't get a boy-band show.

"There are no dancers, no big flashing lights – it's just about the music and about me." he says. " I can speak my mind, say whatever I want to say, and not feel like I have to be censored. It's me being myself and I'm not a kid anymore. If I want to say the S-word on stage I can do that. I'm 30 years old. I can talk about what I want to talk about."

How do the other Backstreet Boys feel about it? "The group is very supportive of him," says a source close to the band. In fact, the source adds, "You will most likely see the group members at the shows in Los Angeles and London."

source: A.J. McLean: I Can Finally Speak My Mind - Music News : People.com

I'll admit, AJ was my fave in the BSB when I went thru my fantard days. Boy can sing his ass off and I thought he was insanely hot.
    Last edited by CherryDarling; March 22nd, 2008 at 11:40 AM.
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Ummm.... I'm pretty sure he went solo before as Johnny Suede, then changed it to Johnny No Name. So whatever.

alright i admit it i went to the backstreet boys concert in February.. (dodges flying fruit) his new song is awesome. And he has the best stage presence ever just can't take your eyes off him...
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

I can't stand to look at him, so taking my eyes off him is not a problem.

As for talent, he has the most in the group. He can sing, dance, and entertain.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    alright i admit it i went to the backstreet boys concert in February.. (dodges flying fruit) his new song is awesome. And he has the best stage presence ever just can't take your eyes off him...
    Was it a good show? I'm curious as to whether or not they're still good together.

And A.J. is definitely the most talented one in the group. I can't stand Nick Carter. He and his brother can't carry a tune if their life depended on it.

He does have amazing stage presence. I saw him with BSB in 2001, right before he went into rehab. Then again 2005 with BSB. Both times, he was amazing!
    Love ya,
    Dara

i love him since i first heard bsb on tv.

While he's not leaving the group, and will soon be heading out on a European tour with his band-mates
    i really wanted to see them live, but a ticket costs about 73$.
    who the hell do they think they are? bon jovi and bryan adams cost that much!
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

He looks bloated... is he back on the bottle or something?

He does have the best voice in the group, IMO. If anyone can go solo, it's him.
    I saw a film today, oh boy.

My friend and I make fun of him all the time... I can't believe how much I used to love the BSB.
    No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world

he has a great voice & stage presence, but I don't think he will ever make it without the band.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkly View Post
    Was it a good show? I'm curious as to whether or not they're still good together.

And A.J. is definitely the most talented one in the group. I can't stand Nick Carter. He and his brother can't carry a tune if their life depended on it.
    It was awesome.. they did a mix of their new and old songs, they guys were great together, Kevin wasn't there because he and his wife are expecting a baby soon, Howie did a few solo songs as well they have a spanish ballady feel to them, Brian was kinda quiet his wife and kid were in the audience because it was his birthday and Nick was actually quite annoying, comes across as a complete showoff plus he's ugly as sin and he really looked like he was straining to sing. AJ was so funny, he's going bald hence the reason why he always wears the hat but he worked the stage and had so much energy through the whole thing and his song is super catchy.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Am I the only one that didn't realize The Backstreet Boys were still together? I thought they'd broken up ages ago.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Am I the only one that didn't realize The Backstreet Boys were still together? I thought they'd broken up ages ago.
    together & even going on tour, oh yeah baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    It was awesome.. they did a mix of their new and old songs, they guys were great together, Kevin wasn't there because he and his wife are expecting a baby soon, Howie did a few solo songs as well they have a spanish ballady feel to them, Brian was kinda quiet his wife and kid were in the audience because it was his birthday and Nick was actually quite annoying, comes across as a complete showoff plus he's ugly as sin and he really looked like he was straining to sing. AJ was so funny, he's going bald hence the reason why he always wears the hat but he worked the stage and had so much energy through the whole thing and his song is super catchy.
    I'm glad you liked the show. It always appeared to me that AJ tries the hardest to perform for his fans, while the others sort of try to sing on key and think that's good enough. Imo, Nick Carter is a big fat ham with the worst singing voice in the group. I'm surprised they still have groupies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information