Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Snoop Dogg: Ugly women don't sell records

Default Snoop Dogg: Ugly women don't sell records

Check out this controversial quote on females in the music lifted from Snoop Dogg's guest entry on BET.com's 'Hip Hop Vs. America' blog. According to the 'Sensual Seduction' rapper, its only good looking (by who's standards is anyones guess) women that sell records:
    "How many ugly women selling records? None! Only the pretty ones sell records. Beyonce, Mary J, Keyshia Cole, the ugly ones don't sell. I ain’t gon say no names, but they don't sell records. They just be singing their little hearts out, but they don't get no sales, cause they ugly. Now, that's my fault? I can see this on TV now: 'Snoop Dogg called me, ugly'. You beautiful on the inside, baby. What I wanna say to go on top of that, to the chocolate women, the dark-skinned women, I love ya'll. I got a chocolate daughter at home. I always tell her chocolate is the best thing in the world".
    I'm gonna give Snoop the benefit of the doubt by saying he didn't fully engage his brain before trying to articulate his point. As, on a surface level, what he is saying is arguably true - after all, the Beyonce's and co are more likely to sell better than their less glamorous counter-parts. Where Snoop is wrong IMO, is that he appears to be endorsing such a bias industry standard.

Your thoughts?

..::That Grape Juice // ThatGrapeJuice.net::..

Shut the fuck up.
    Apparently ugly men sell records.

And his 'chocolate' comments are a nice way to promote racism.

Good thing it's not about ugly men he's talking about, because he wouldn't have sold a record.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

One name for Snoop: Amy Winehouse.

Put down the pipe, 'dawg'.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

He's telling the truth. Look at Idol or any other "talent" contest if you don't look good you won't win. Looks ARE paramount for huge publicity and record deals. Like it or not it's the truth. Always was been, always will be. If you look good you can always develop your "talent" later. For every 'ugly' successful person people name here there are tenfold as many good looking ones. Snoop's right, I don't see how what he said is anymore offensive than people making mean spirited comments about people like rumer willis.

^^ I agree. It's sad but true. Most of the best talent isn't even being heard because music execs just want to sell sex and an idea of what looks good. It's all just a product. Sad.

he seriously needs to STFU and learn proper english.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Too bad stupid, over-rated men who can't speak or spell properly continue to sell records.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Oh well... maybe there are some ugly women writing the songs.

Maybe his statement is being taken out of context... but isn't what he's saying just a little bit true?

Whether people want to admit it or not, Snoop is right, to a degree. He could've worded it better, but this is Snoop. The music industry is about looks and selling an image. If you're attractive, people tend to pay more attention to you.

If you look at some of the most popular singers today, how many would be considered butt-ugly? Or when you look at people like Britney and Rihanna, who don't have any real singing talent, but managed to sell millions of records because they look, or in Britney's case looked, good. An unattractive guy doesn't have it as hard as an unattractive female in the entertainment business, that's just a reality.

^That's true, there's that saying for men, 'If you're ugly, become a rock star'.

^Well, what about Marilyn Manson?

I guess he never heard of Janis Joplin.

Yeah when I'm listening to music I'm thinking of how the singer looks. not. I have no idea what most of the singers of the music I listen to look like, nor do I care. Some of us are from the generation before MTV maybe that's the difference.

Janis astonished me. Couldn't sing, wasn't feminine, rough as guts, was nothing to look at at all, but still managed to ooze sex appeal.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information