Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sean Penn and James Franco will play gay lovers in new film

Thumbs up Sean Penn and James Franco will play gay lovers in new film

Source 1
    Source 2

Sean Penn and James Franco, who will play gay lovers in a new film, gave some thought to moving in together, I'm told.
    Whaaa?
    Relax, it's just for a movie. The two are currently filming Milk, Gus Van Sant’s biopic about Harvey Milk (Penn), the trailblazing, openly gay San Francisco city supervisor who was assassinated not long after being elected to office in 1977. Franco plays Scott Smith, one of Milk’s lovers and his campaign manager.
    I’m told Penn and Franco wanted to live together for a time before filming began in the Bay Area. My sources reported they were looking to shack up in an apartment similar to one the real-life partners lived in after moving to San Fran from New York City.
    “They talked a lot about doing that, but schedules prevented it,” a source told me.

Milk (left), known as the Mayor of Castro Street and the first openly gay elected official in California, and Mayor George Moscone were gunned down by fellow city supervisor Dan White Nov. 27, 1978. White's lawyers claimed he was incapable of premeditating the shooting because recent changes in his diet had biologically altered his thinking. Though the tactic was dubbed the "Twinkie defense" by the press, White was convicted of the lesser charge of manslaughter, not murder. He later committed suicide.
    Van Sant’s flick for Focus Features recently started shooting in San Francisco, and includes location scenes in Milk's camera store.
    Other cast includes Josh Brolin as White and Emile Hirsch and Diego Luna as two of Milk’s other lovers. It’s set for release sometime next year.
    Last edited by bychance; March 17th, 2008 at 04:35 PM.

There is an excellent Academy Award winning documentary (1984 I believe) called 'The Times of Harvey Milk"-incredibly moving and instrumental in my coming out process. I hope this movie lives up to the real life story it will portray.

I remember being a teen and having cable that carried the San Francisco independant TV station and I followed all of the goings on..and remember the assassination, and the riots that followed the 'Twinkie defense' verdict.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Soj, you and I must be right around the same age. That is a fantastic documentary. I remember hunting for ANYTHING gay to see on tv around that time. Things were really different just a couple of decades ago.

And any role that gets that stupid mustache off of Sean Penn's face is fine by me.

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

Quote Originally Posted by crackho View Post
    Soj, you and I must be right around the same age. That is a fantastic documentary. I remember hunting for ANYTHING gay to see on tv around that time. Things were really different just a couple of decades ago.

And any role that gets that stupid mustache off of Sean Penn's face is fine by me.
    yeah I think I am a year or two younger..

this will be fascinating! i cannot wait
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Silver Member

It's not often that the actor is uglier than the person they are playing!!! I think Sean Penn is too ugly to play him. There. I said it. I'm superficial.

(Of course, I'm also not a Sean Penn fan.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    yeah I think I am a year or two younger..
    Uh, I think you mean an inch or two smaller.... ,

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

This will be a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by crackho View Post
    Uh, I think you mean an inch or two smaller.... ,
    Wow! had no idea you were eleven inches!

Hm, not much of a stretch is it for Franco?

I would play James Franco's lover any day!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMarsters View Post
    Hm, not much of a stretch is it for Franco?
    or the mid life crisis Sean Penn either.

I guess if your straight and "act" gay in a movie your Oscar worthy but no so if you are gay in a gay movie?

I'm just hoping that the movie and promotion pay respect to the great Milk. I'm wary of all the unnecessary publicity and sensationalization that I'm sure will accompany this release, including scenes between penn, franco, and others. The media loves to concentrate on this things instead of the biography and overall life of historical figures.

I hope Sean Penn will give this movie the greatness it deserves like he did in Mystic River, Dead Man Walking, and I Am Sam. He also did a great job IMO with Into the Wild but H'weird has never been very cosy with outspoken blokes like Penn and try to overlook them whenever possible even when the critics and people love the movies they've done. He marches to his own drummer and it ain't the beat of the current studio heads. I'll pay to see it.
    as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show, swept out through the cracks beneath the door, holier than thou, how?

Quote Originally Posted by WesCAdle View Post
    I hope Sean Penn will give this movie the greatness it deserves like he did in Mystic River, Dead Man Walking, and I Am Sam. He also did a great job IMO with Into the Wild but H'weird has never been very cosy with outspoken blokes like Penn and try to overlook them whenever possible even when the critics and people love the movies they've done. He marches to his own drummer and it ain't the beat of the current studio heads. I'll pay to see it.
    Into The Wild was a great movie & was kinda lost among other films that were released around the same time. Penn has never been my favorite actor but he is a talented director.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information