Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heath Ledger's family fighting over his $$$

A*O

Default Heath Ledger's family fighting over his $$$

Surprise, surprise

Ledger feud grows over 'second' will
    Sean Cowan, Perth
    March 15, 2008

SOME of Heath Ledger's relatives may be planning a legal challenge against his will after it emerged the actor may have written a second will after his daughter was born, leaving most of his multimillion-dollar fortune to her.

An international spat has reignited a 15-year-old family feud and led to fears the late actor's daughter Matilda could receive little of his fortune under the terms of his first will.

Growing rumours that Ledger wrote a second will, in which Matilda, 2, is understood to be a significant beneficiary, have sparked a flurry of phone calls between family members, some of whom are now understood to be planning a legal challenge against Ledger's first will.

A signed three-page will, drawn up in 2003 before Matilda was born to Ledger and his partner Hollywood actor Michelle Williams, has been lodged in Manhattan's Surrogate's Court.

It leaves half of Ledger's reputed $60 million estate to his father Kim and his mother Sally Bell.

The other half is to be divided between his sister Kate and half-sisters Olivia Ledger and Ashleigh Bell.

Ledger's second will, which is understood to be unsigned, was reportedly drawn up after Matilda's birth.

The looming battle over which of Ledger's wills should be used to divide his estate has caused waves on this side of the Pacific, with his uncles Mike and Haydn Ledger accusing their brother and Heath's father Kim of mismanaging their late grandfather's $2 million estate.

It was revealed this week they had discussed the management of Heath Ledger's estate with Michelle Williams' father Larry, who lives in Sydney.

The brothers told Mr Williams that Kim Ledger had been trustee and executor of Sir Frank Ledger's $2 million estate, which he left $7 million in debt. They believed Kim Ledger should not be allowed to manage Heath Ledger's estate.

Kim Ledger hit back this week, issuing a statement claiming his estranged brothers did not know what they were talking about.

Heath Ledger appears to have had no assets in Australia. Some of his money was held in the Ledger Investment Trust.

He had less than $145,000 in New York assets at the time of his death, including $100,000 in bank accounts, a $25,000 Toyota Prius and $20,000 in furniture. It is understood that he owned properties in Los Angeles and Canada.

Under the terms of the first will, the division of the estate will be managed by Kim Ledger's former business colleague Robert John Collins and Geraldton accountant William Mark Dyson.

WEST AUSTRALIAN
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

It was only a matter of time.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Bugs the hell out of me when people try to get ahead in life because somebody else died.
    WORK and EARN your own damn money!

How sad.... someone dies and the issue is how much money everyone will get from it. Although this happens in families A LOT.

This is sad. If there is a second will which was unsigned in regards to his estate going to Matilda, surely that should count for something? I think his daughter should receive half of everything he has and the family split the rest amongst themselves.
    ssabmud

60 million? That's bank, he must've invested pretty good, quite impressive for a young actor.

Kim Ledger already told the media, that Matilda is well taken care of, as is Michelle.

All of this is not the business of his brothers, IMO... Don't they understand, that there is a huge need to grief?!

A*O

Screw grief - show me the money!!!!!

And if his second Will wasn't signed and witnessed it's worthless.
    Dame Edna Everage

good, i hope they all eat each other like the locusts they are.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Where there is smoke there is fire and where theres a will there is a heap of relatives banging down solicitors doors. Why do people go crazy over money and who it belongs to after death. Shouldnt the children of the deceased be automatically entitled to th money? Young children that is.
    Jack I swear.

They should bury the dead's money with them; that's fair.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    60 million? That's bank, he must've invested pretty good, quite impressive for a young actor.
    Was thinking the same, didn't think he was worth so much.

^Yeah, makes sense why he was with Mary Kate; he didn't have to pay for drugs.

I hate people like this. Life isn't just about money.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by cheray View Post
    Where there is smoke there is fire and where theres a will there is a heap of relatives banging down solicitors doors. Why do people go crazy over money and who it belongs to after death. Shouldnt the children of the deceased be automatically entitled to th money? Young children that is.
    If there's no Will then yes, any children usually get the money. In this case he made a Will before his child was born leaving the cash to his parents and siblings and so that Will stands. However, compared to many other countries it's quite easy to contest a Will in Australia which is why these vultures are circling.
    Dame Edna Everage

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information