Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crew honors Heath Ledger by not distorting Joker role

Default Crew honors Heath Ledger by not distorting Joker role

Crew honors Ledger by not distorting Joker role

LAS VEGAS, Nevada (AP) -- This time out, there's no vat of chemicals to explain how Batman's greatest enemy came to be the twisted sociopath known as the Joker.
    Director Christopher Nolan said there will be no changes to the film or marketing of "The Dark Knight."

Heath Ledger's Joker springs full-blown in this summer's "The Dark Knight," the sequel to 2005's "Batman Begins" that was previewed for theater owners Thursday with a clip showing the new movie's opening sequence.

Unlike 1989's "Batman," in which the deranged, disfigured clown appearance of Jack Nicholson's Joker resulted from a dip in chemical goo, "The Dark Knight" starts right in with the bad guy in all his psychopathic glory.

"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you stranger," Ledger's depraved Joker cryptically tells an accomplice in the opening scenes, in which he pulls off a daring bank robbery.

In an interview at ShoWest, a theater-owners convention where distributor Warner Bros. showed off footage of "The Dark Knight" and the rest of its summer lineup, director Christopher Nolan said it was almost inevitable that the sequel would pit Christian Bale's Batman against the Joker.

"The psychopathic clown, that's an icon to stand with the guy with the ears and cape," Nolan said. "It's just a wonderful visual relationship, and it's a terrifying image."

Long before Ledger's death of an accidental prescription drug overdose in January, the marketing of the movie had focused on the villain's rise to power and his creepy appearance.

There had been speculation among critics and fans that the studio and filmmakers might take a different approach to selling the film in light of Ledger's death, but the marketing has gone on as originally planned.

"I think he'd be very pleased to see we're just moving ahead as is," Nolan said. "If you try to honor somebody, you honor them by respecting their work and putting it out there for as many people to see. He was immensely proud of the work he did on the film. I feel a great burden to present that in an undistorted form."

"The Dark Knight" is due in theaters July 18.

The last time producer Charles Roven saw Ledger was when he showed the actor the very footage that was screened at ShoWest.
    Fans have been buzzing over the anarchic style Ledger brings to the role in the movie's trailer, but the actor himself was utterly taken by what he saw of himself on screen, Roven said.

"He was just blown away by his own performance," Roven said. "He said, `Can I see it again?' So he was really, really thrilled."

Bale -- reprising his role as the wealthy Bruce Wayne, who moonlights as the emotionally tormented crimefighter -- said he watched the footage Thursday with a heaviness of heart over Ledger.

But Bale said he hopes the movie will serve as a testament.
    "I hope that this can be seen as a celebration of his work," Bale said.

"He did a phenomenal job. It was a real joy working with the man. It was a joy knowing him, as well. I liked him a great deal, and I liked also how seriously he took his work.

Crew honors Ledger by not distorting Joker role - CNN.com
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

I can't wait to see The Dark Knight.
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

Bronze Member

Me too! It sounds great!

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

I've been waiting since I first heard it was coming out. Even back then, the buzz was going around that this was the best role he ever portrayed.

Im not watching it if he doesnt kiss Jake Gillenhaal in it somewhere.
    Jack I swear.

Quote Originally Posted by cheray View Post
    Im not watching it if he doesnt kiss Jake Gillenhaal in it somewhere.
    The other Gyllenhaal is in ...

anyway, I'm really looking forward to see this one.

I can't wait either. I actually did not like the first one at all, so I admit the only reason why I want to see this is because of the trailers with Heath's Joker in it. Just from the brief clips I think he's going to give an amazing performance kind of like Nicholson did in his iconic joker role.

^^ I loved the first one.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

I think the first Batman film was the best. A lot of the other ones were very poor in my opinion. I hope this one is good.

I thought Batman Begins was outstanding. I can't wait to see this one, although I think it'll be really sad to watch Heath in it. I bet he gets an Oscar for it.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Eli

I want to see this now big time. Heath looked so creepy with that smile he did in the preview...
    Is Christian Bale in this too? OMG A MOUSE!! Sorry, I just saw a mouse and somehow wrote it down. How strange.
    And most importantly, is Heath going to win an Oscar for this? It'd be nice if he did, then Michelle and Matilda could collect it for him in his honour.

^^ Yes Christian Bale will be in this one also as well as the one after He's signed a contract for 3 Batman movies.

@ the mouse thing

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

When i was talking to my friend who was a producer on his last film, she said that this was Heath's best work of his life and would blow Brokeback out of the water. I said that i hoped he would win an Oscar and she said that he wouldn't be eligible because he is dead. I think that's bullshit though. I couldn't find anything on the Academy Awards website that says you have to be alive to win. Does anyone know of someone who won posthumously?
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Eli

You can be eligible for an Oscar post morterm. Mortum? Post dead then. I'm certain it's happened before. Well, Emmys anyway, John Ritter.

Post dead? lol It's post-mortem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information