Thread: Heath Ledger's will revealed

Default Heath Ledger's will revealed

Before his Oscar-nominated role in Brokeback Mountain, Heath Ledger wrote a will leaving everything he owned to his parents and sister, New York's Daily News reported Saturday.

The 28-year-old actor, who died of an accidental prescription drug overdose earlier this year, filed a three-page will in his native Australia in April 2003. The will preceded Ledger's relationship with Brokeback costar Michelle Williams and the 2005 birth of their daughter, Matilda Rose.

A series of documents filed in Manhattan Surrogate's Court revealed that the actor had less than $145,000 in New York assets at the time, including a $25,000 Toyota Prius and $20,000 in furniture and fixtures. His greater wealth, including trust funds, Australian properties and the Brooklyn townhouse he once shared with Williams, is uncertain.

It's unclear whether there will be any provisions for Williams or Matilda Rose, now 2. The bulk of Ledger's estate will be handled in Australia, according to the report.

The actor's lawyer has asked a judge to seal the documents for privacy. Ledger's spokeswoman, Mara Buxbaum, declined to comment.

Heath Ledger's Will Revealed : People.com

Elite Member

hmmm. has a child and doesn't alter his will...another irresponsible act - i don't like him as much now that i know so much more about him.

^^^Oh man, do I feel guilty. My husband and I still haven't done ours and our son is 4. We keep meaning to....ack...okay, I'm going get a will package today! Everyone in our family knows that if anything happens to us, my husband's sister and her husband will get custody of our son but...still...

Anyway, I'm sure Mathilda will be taken care of. Even if he didn't have a recent will, she was probably listed as a beneficiary in any life insurance policies or whatever that he had.
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

Quote Originally Posted by TaffyMoon View Post
    hmmm. has a child and doesn't alter his will...another irresponsible act - i don't like him as much now that i know so much more about him.
    Well, to be fair, lots of people don't ammend their wills straight away following the birth of a child, simply because when you are young, dying isn't something you give much thought to. Heck, lots of people as young as Ledger was don't even have a will.

That's what I thought, too^^ he was young and probably the last thing on his mind was dying...apparently he adored his child, so I doubt he would purposely leave her without. I am sure his parents will make sure she is taken care of...

my daughter is 14 and i havent thought of it. guess i better do something
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

OCK

Quote Originally Posted by TaffyMoon View Post
    He may have had a trust set up for her. His will probably doesn't deal with all of the money he had.
    ~~~Jesus please save me from your fanclub~~~

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

He's made a ton of money since 2003, so hopefully his family can figure out how to take care of Mathilda.

Silver Member

dunno how it is over there but in the UK if theres kids after a wills been drawn up normally they get all the money anyway

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

It's safe to assume his parents will make sure their granddaughter is well taken care of. Plus her mother is a millionaire, so she never has to work a day in her life anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    Well, to be fair, lots of people don't ammend their wills straight away following the birth of a child, simply because when you are young, dying isn't something you give much thought to. Heck, lots of people as young as Ledger was don't even have a will.
    Exactly.

Heath Ledger's Dad: Michelle & Matilda Rose 'Will Be Taken Care Of'

Heath Ledger's family moved quickly to speak out Saturday after details of the late actor's will were released – showing he had not updated it since his relationship with Michelle Williams and the 2005 birth of their daughter Matilda Rose.

"Matilda is our absolute priority and Michelle is an integral part of our family," Heath's father Kim Ledger says in a statement. "They will be taken care of and that's how Heath would want it to be."

Ledger's will – filed in Australia in April 2003, before Williams and before his Oscar nomination for Brokeback Mountain – left everything he owned to his parents and sister, New York's Daily News reported Saturday. A series of documents filed in Manhattan Surrogate's Court revealed that the actor had less than $145,000 in New York assets at the time, including a $25,000 Toyota Prius and $20,000 in furniture and fixtures.

Ledger's rep quickly squashed any speculation that Williams and 2-year-old Matilda would not be provided for. "The story is getting taken out of context and media is speculating that this means Matilda and Michelle will not be taken care of. I want to make it very clear nothing could be farther from the truth."

Heath Ledger's Dad: Michelle & Matilda Rose 'Will Be Taken Care Of' - Heath Ledger : People.com

Elite Member

Good grief!

Heath Ledger's will ignores Matilda | NEWS.com.au

HEATH Ledger's former partner Michelle Williams has been warned she may have to fight to ensure her infant daughter receives part of her famous father's fortune.

Two of Ledger's uncles sensationally turned on the actor's father yesterday amid revelations the 28-year-old made a will leaving his wealth to his parents and sisters.

Reports have surfaced that a three-page will, lodged with a Manhattan court, was written three years before Ledger's beloved daughter Matilda Rose was born.

Ledger's uncles Mike and Haydn accused Heath's father Kim of mismanaging their grandfather's estate to the tune of $2.5 million.

They also said they had raised fears for Matilda's future with her Sydney-based grandfather Larry Williams.

The uncles estimated their nephew's estate would be worth $20m after his earnings from the latest Batman movie were calculated.

Mr Williams yesterday declined to comment about the warning, but said he was astonished to learn Ledger - who died from an apparent drug overdose in his New York apartment in January - had even made a will.

"It doesn't make any sense because Heath professed many times his love for Matilda, it makes no sense that he would not leave anything for his daughter," he said. "He just wasn't that type of person."

Kim Ledger moved quickly to deny his granddaughter and Michelle Williams would be left without an inheritance and said Matilda was his family's absolute priority.

But Kim Ledger's brothers said they were so concerned they had advised Mr Williams to tell his daughter to hire a lawyer and Haydn Ledger said his concerns had been passed on to Michelle Williams's mother in the US.

"I'm concerned for Matilda. I have concerns about the distribution of funds," Haydn Ledger said.

"We pointed out to Larry just to be on guard. I had to say this about my brother. I don't care any more. If Heath was alive we would never ever do it (speak publicly) (but) when Heath died we could see what could happen."

Mike Ledger also spoke out about his conversations with Mr Williams.

"We spoke to Larry about Kim and his ability to manage Matilda's assets," he said. "Our concern is that it doesn't happen to another family.

" We said to Larry it would be worthwhile to have a lawyer look into the issues."

Haydn Ledger said the fallout from the fight over their grandfather's estate in 1994 created a terrible strain between himself and his brother.

"Kim was in position of guardianship and we had to take him to court to take that off him because a sum of $2m went missing," he said.

Kim Ledger could not be contacted about his brothers' claims last night.

In an earlier statement - issued after the will was made public - he played down reports the will would leave Matilda without an inheritance.

Thread Information