Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Race row as Robert Downey Jr. films in blackface

Default Race row as Robert Downey Jr. films in blackface

Race row as actor Robert Downey Jr 'blacks up' for new film

Actor Robert Downey Jr has in the past been applauded for his edgy roles.

But his latest may be a step too far - as the actor dons make-up to play a rather convincing looking black man in a new Hollywood film starring comic actor Ben Stiller. In a still from film Tropic Thunder, Downey Jnr is sandwiched between Ben Stiller, and a blonde Jack Black.

With his afro hair and brown skin, he is virtually unrecognisable as the 42-year-old star of stage and screen.
    Downey Jr plays a worthy Oscar-winning actor taking on a role originally written for a black actor, and rather than re-write the part, he goes method. Clearing anticipating a backlash, Downey Jr told a US magazine: "If it's done right, it could be the type of role you called Peter Sellers to do 35 years ago. If you don't do it right, we're going to hell."

But the backlash has clearly begun as one comment on a showbiz blog Just Jared said: "I'm not black and I find it offensive; are there not any talented enough black actors out in the world that they feel the need to hire a white guy to do a black guy?"
    "They are infering that there are no good enough black actors to play a black person.
    "What is the significance of hiring a white guy to play a black part? what are they trying to prove? I bet its to get more publicity."
    But in support of Downey's satirical role another comment on the blog said: "I'm black too, and if they were satirising black people yes it would be offensive. but they're not.
    "It's FUNNY because they're NOT legitimising negative racial stereotypes, anyone with a brain in his/her head can see how painfully clear that is."

The film centres on a group of pompous actors making the most expensive Vietnam war movie ever made.
    Fed up with their self-involved cast, the film's makers drop them into the jungle to take care of themselves, where they get caught up in a conflict they don't realise is real.
    The cast also includes Steve Coogan, Nick Nolte and cameos from Tom Cruise and Tobey Maguire.
    Stiller said he was "trying to push it as far as you can within reality," with the intent of satirising over-the-top actors, not African-Americans.
    "I had no idea how people would respond to it," Stiller told the magazine. But at a recent screening, black viewers liked the film", he said.
    The film, Stiller's first as director since Zoolander, also sees his character adopt an Asian baby but worries "that all the good ones have gone". Paramount is set to release 'Tropic Thunder' in the U.S. on 15 August.
    Race row as actor Robert Downey Jr 'blacks up' for new film | the Daily Mail

Hmmm....Few had a problem when Miss Jolie did the same thing

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^A LOT of people had a problem when Angie went 'blackface.' She shouldn't have been playing a real-life character who was actually mixed-race and looked it.

But I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, it reminds me of C. Thomas Howell in Soul Man, which I hated. But, on the other hand, you've had black actors play white, like the Wayans brothers did in White Chicks. So, how Downey plays it will determine how it comes off.

he is actually virtually unrecognizable. i wouldn't have ever guessed it was him.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Hmmm....Few had a problem when Miss Jolie did the same thing
    A lot of people on this very board had plenty to say about it.

Angelina Jolie Sparks Casting Controversy

Thandie Newton "Shocked" at Blackface Angelina Jolie
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

^^ yes, I was one of them. I remember the debates.

Here I'm not as annoyed by it. I don't know if it's because it's satire, and the Joile thing was serious.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

It's satire, though. Why are people freaking out? It's not like he's seriously trying to portray a black man. His character is just "getting into the role of the black man", or whatever.
    I saw a film today, oh boy.

Is there a shortage of Black actors, and actresses that I don't know about!?
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I don't see anyone freaking out yet, they are merely saying they are offended, as am I. There is aleady a serious shortage of roles for blacks, Asians, Hispanics, etc,. yet they still feel a need to hire white actors in blackface? How can anyone NOT find that offensive?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I hate when they do crap like this.

I read an article in EW on this and Downey's character IS white but he auditions for a role where the character was originally written as black so he decides to wear makeup. His character is supposed to be a satire of insufferable actors.

So from what I understand a white person needed to play the role.

Helps to know the movie's plot before backlashing.

Link to the article HERE

If you don't recognize that African-American actor standing between Jack Black and Ben Stiller, there's a good reason: He's white. In Tropic Thunder, an epic action comedy co-written and directed by Stiller, Robert Downey Jr. plays Kirk Lazarus, a very serious Oscar-winning actor cast in the most expensive Vietnam War film ever. Problem is, Lazarus's character, Sgt. Osiris, was originally written as black. So Lazarus decides to dye his skin and play Osiris, um, authentically. Funny? Sure. Dangerous? That's an understatement. ''If it's done right, it could be the type of role you called Peter Sellers to do 35 years ago,'' Downey says. ''If you don't do it right, we're going to hell.''

The film marks Stiller's first directing effort since 2001's Zoolander. With Thunder (opening Aug. 15), he takes aim at the sweetest target of all: actors. Downey plays one of a team of self-indulgent stars cast in the modern equivalent of Apocalypse Now. Stiller plays an action hero who has just adopted a baby from Asia but worries that ''all the good ones are gone.'' Black portrays a comedian known for performing multiple roles in a single film — his latest is called The Fatties: Fart 2. But when the film's director (Steve Coogan) and writer (Nick Nolte) get fed up with their prima donna cast, they drop them into the jungle to fend for themselves. The actors think they're doing some sort of full-immersion filmmaking, but the danger they're in is very real.

Stiller got the idea for Thunder more than 20 years ago while shooting a small part in Steven Spielberg's WWII drama Empire of the Sun. He's continued to develop the script as his own star has risen, which makes taking on his brethren all the richer — watch for cameos from Tom Cruise and Tobey Maguire — and all the more perilous. For starters, Hollywood satires have a rocky box office record. And then there's that little issue of a white guy playing a black guy. Stiller says that he and Downey always stayed focused on the fact that they were skewering insufferable actors, not African-Americans. ''I was trying to push it as far as you can within reality,'' Stiller explains. ''I had no idea how people would respond to it.'' He recently screened a rough cut of the film and it scored high with African-Americans. He was relieved at the reaction. ''It seems people really embrace it,'' he says.

Paramount is hoping so: The studio plans to debut the trailer online March 17, and Downey is all over it. (In one scene, he tries to bond with a real African-American castmate by quoting the theme song from The Jeffersons.) Downey, meanwhile, is confident he never crossed the line. ''At the end of the day, it's always about how well you commit to the character,'' he says. ''I dove in with both feet. If I didn't feel it was morally sound, or that it would be easily misinterpreted that I'm just C. Thomas Howell in [Soul Man], I would've stayed home.''

^^But that still doesn't change the fact that it's a white actor in blackface.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    ^^But that still doesn't change the fact that it's a white actor in blackface.
    And I think the movie is trying to show how ludicrous that is and the retarded things actors do for roles. Like Jolie in Mighty Heart.

That's how I'm reading into it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by KristiB View Post
    And I think the movie is trying to show how ludicrous that is.
    I understand what you're saying. And depending on how they play this it'll either come off as satire or another Soul Man.

the whole point of the character is that it's a white guy in blackface. it's satire and part of the story. i don't see how that has anything to do with a shortage of actors. it's as if feminists had gotten offended that they hired robin williams instead of a woman to play mrs. doubtfire.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

If they'd used a black actor, wouldn't he have had to play part of the role in white face?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information