Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music critic cringes as Madonna is among REAL SINGERS in rock hall of fame

Talking Music critic cringes as Madonna is among REAL SINGERS in rock hall of fame

Madonna leads class into rock hall
    ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Admit it. When Madonna was writhing around onstage in a wedding gown to "Like a Virgin" years ago, the last place you'd expect to see her was in something called the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Time has a way of changing things. On Monday, Madge will come to the stage of the Waldorf-Astoria to accept enshrinement. Classmate John Mellencamp, who also churned out hit after hit in the 1980s, will join her.
    The Dave Clark Five, whose lead singer Mike Smith died of pneumonia on Feb. 28, are being inducted as well as Philly soul legends Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff, Canadian songwriter Leonard Cohen, surf rockers the Ventures and blues harmonica ace Little Walter.
    But Madonna?
    She's the pre-eminent pop star of her generation, who stayed a step ahead of trends while adding in shock value to keep herself in the news. Along the way she's made sturdy, state-of-the-art pop such as "Material Girl," "Crazy For You," "Papa Don't Preach," "Cherish," "Like a Prayer," "Vogue" and "Ray of Light."
    Yet "if you think of rock 'n' roll, Madonna is not the first name that comes to mind," said Steve Morse, longtime Boston Globe music critic who was a member of the hall of fame's nominating committee for seven years.
    He considers her selection, particularly in her first year of eligibility, an embarrassment.
    Her music was never played on rock 'n' roll radio, he said. Some veteran rock artists like Deep Purple, the J. Geils Band, Steve Miller and Alice Cooper are still waiting for induction. Morse long and unsuccessfully argued on behalf of the late Gram Parsons.
    "It seems like this is driven by commercial achievement and sales, rather than having anything to do with the rock 'n' roll genre," Morse said. "It's really a commercial move. They'll be able to sell more tickets to the museum and more people will watch the broadcast."
    With rock's founding fathers already in the hall, the museum has broadened its meaning of rock 'n' roll to include rap and pop artists. Grandmaster Flash last year became the first hip-hop artist to make it.
    Madonna, who declined interview requests, will answer on Monday night.
    She's being inducted by Justin Timberlake. And unlike many contemporary artists — Madonna's new album, "Hard Candy," is dropping April 29 — she's not scheduled to perform. Instead, she chose Iggy Pop, the ultimate crawl-around-on-glass punk rocker who shares her Michigan ancestry, to salute her work.
    Tom Hanks will induct the Dave Clark Five, the '60s British pop band behind the hit "Glad All Over." Billy Joel will give the speech for Mellencamp, and Lou Reed speaks on behalf of fellow literate songwriter Cohen.
    For the second straight year, VH1 Classic will show the induction ceremony live at 8:30 p.m. EDT.
    I kind of see the critic's point about her getting into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, especially since she can't sing. But, then again, she has taken a lack of talent and turned it into a 25 year career, so I guess she deserves credit for that.

I dunno, based on sheer record sales, I can't believe it's taken her this long to get in there.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

^^You have to be in the music business for at least 25 years from the release of your first single/album, or something like that, before you can get in.

You aren't eligible until 25 years after you have released your first record

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Ah, I see. Must have staying power with the fans, makes sense.

Also explains why U2 didn't make it until 2005.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

^^I don't think the staying power with the fans has too much to do with it. Even if you haven't released an album in years, you could probably still get in if your first single/album came out 25 years ago. But even then you still might not get in during the first year of eligibility.

I'm disappointed it took so long for Leonard Cohen and the Dave Clark Five to get in

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Madonna can't sing for shit and the lead singer for the Dave Ckark Five just died, ´Vadge is a joke.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I'm disappointed it took so long for Leonard Cohen and the Dave Clark Five to get in
    yes! Well he will be there, at last.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

She sells millions of records, yet she can't sing. I don't get it. I can't possibly be the only person in the world who wants to bang my head into the wall everytime I hear her sing.

Wow,can't believe some of the names that AREN'T in.
    Those have been far more influential to music
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkly View Post
    She sells millions of records, yet she can't sing. I don't get it. I can't possibly be the only person in the world who wants to bang my head into the wall everytime I hear her sing.
    You're not the only one, I can't stand her "music" either.
    No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world

Madonna has always been a pop star, not a rock star. This is a total joke to induct her into the Rock Hall of Fame. There is way too many true rock bands haven't been included yet. It is so Madge to feel like she belongs there.

By the way I loved Madonna in the eighties, because she was a pop singer. As a preteen and teen she was my Hannah Montana. I wasn't a Madonna wanna be, but new all the lyrics to her music. The appeal of Madge is the image she sold, not that she was ever a great talent.

I'm not a Madonna fan, but I'll give her credit for knowing how to market herself better than anyone else in the entertainment business. She used MTV, back when it played videos in the 'olden' days, and the media to sell the Madonna brand. But that doesn't mean she should take her Vibrator of Justice into the Hall of Fame.

She's the most successful singer in history and made some amazing music in the past, obviously she should be there - even though she can't sing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information