Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whitney Houston gets £1.7 Million for one-hour charity performance

Default Whitney Houston gets £1.7 Million for one-hour charity performance

Building up his hugely successful mobile-phone business, John Caudwell became accustomed to taking risks – but few as big as this.

The billionaire philanthropist has hired Whitney Houston – who has fought a high-profile battle with drug addiction – to perform a one-hour gig at a London charity event...for a reputed £1.7million.
    Scroll down for more...
    The gig: John Caudwell has hired troubled diva Whitney Houston to perform for one hour at a London charity ball ... for a reputed £1.7million

Diva Whitney has endured a disastrous string of failed public appearances. But she now appears to have conquered her demons and Mr Caudwell, founder of the Phones4U empire, is gambling that her performance will ensure his charity ball is a massive success.

Ms Houston's huge fee – which works out at £28,333 a minute – is just the start of her demands for appearing at the glittering May ball, which will raise funds for the Caudwell Children charity.
    Scroll down for more...

The 44-year-old singer has also insisted on being provided with an odd assortment of "extras" on the night, including M&M sweets, pulp-free orange juice, camomile tea, and "cranapple" and "crangrape" juices, as well as peanut butter and jam sandwiches.

Her list also includes two full-length mirrors with make-up lights, a dozen hand towels, two fans, pumpernickel and sourdough bagels with cream cheese and four one-litre bottles of American spring water, as well as two large banquet tables, clothing racks, flowers and doughnuts for her entourage.
    Scroll down for more...
    Gamble: Billionaire John Caudwell with his partner Claire Johnson

The American soul diva, who in the Eighties and Nineties sold 100million records with hits including So Emotional and I Will Always Love You, is also said to have demanded 35 rooms at the £350-a-night Dorchester hotel and another five-star hotel for her team.

In 2000, Miss Houston cancelled a performance at the Oscars following US newspaper reports that she was "totally out of it" during a rehearsal with Burt Bacharach.
    Scroll down for more...
    Worse-for-wear Whitney after a night out at Beverly Hills' restaurant Crustacean this time last year

And in 2002 she pulled out of singing at Liza Minnelli's wedding to David Gest, less than 24 hours before the ceremony.

She has been a virtual recluse over the past two years as she battled drug addiction and became embroiled in a messy divorce from fellow soul singer Bobby Brown.
    Past troubles: Whitney with ex-husband Bobby Brown divorced in April 2007

In 2006, her sister-in-law claimed she was a hopeless crack addict, and pictures were published showing drug paraphernalia at her £3million home.

After a long period of rehabilitation, she played a comeback concert last December in the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur, but her charity performance in May will be her first concert in Britain since 1999.

John Caudwell, worth £1.6billion after selling Phones4U, will have to dig deep into his own pockets to pay Miss Houston's fee.

He covers all Caudwell Children's operating costs so that more money is raised for children with terminal illness and to support the NSPCC's Full Stop campaign against violence towards children.

A source said: "John is hoping Whitney will be worth it. He thinks it's important to raise the profile of the charity, and eye-catching stars such as Whitney Houston are exactly the sort of people he's hoping to attract."

The ball is being held at an events centre in Battersea. Last year's bash starred Tina Turner, who was paid an estimated £3million.

The auction at the event raised £1.2million, while ticket sales and sponsorship brought in far more – the cheapest table cost £10,000 for ten people. Scroll down for more...
    Heyday: Whitney gives it her all in 1990, before her troubles hit

A spokesman for Caudwell Children said that claims of a £1.7million fee for Ms Houston were "ludicrous". But a source revealed that negotiations started at £1.5million.

Nor will this be the first bumper payout Miss Houston will have received for a single private performance.
    In 2005, she was paid £560,000 to perform for just 300 guests at the wedding of Russian billionaire Andrey Melnichenko and former Miss Yugoslavia Aleksandra Kokotovic.

Here's £1.7m 4 U Whitney: Phone boss pays troubled star for one-hour charity performance | the Daily Mail

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Angry

This is supposed to be for charity, Whitney. You shouldn't be so greedy!

Ahhhh, don't be too mean on Whitney. I miss My Favorite Crackho.

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

Quote Originally Posted by crackho View Post
    Ahhhh, don't be too mean on Whitney. I miss My Favorite Crackho.
    You are our favorite crackho!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

^^But I learned everything I know from Whitney. Or maybe that's vice versa. I can never remember.

Quote Originally Posted by crackho View Post
    ^^But I learned everything I know from Whitney. Or maybe that's vice versa. I can never remember.
    Do you have people close to you pull impactyd turds out of your butt? THAT is Whitney!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

^^^^^ "That's LUV"

I'll never forget that show - I was watching it with some friends and we just stared blankly at the TV for a while before we lost it.

I wish they would rerun that series. Some mighty fine TV right there.

Hey, Whitney needs the money after Bobby and his family damn near milked her dry. Shake what your momma gave you, Whitney.

Whitshit needs to take them damn fake boobies out.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkly View Post
    This is supposed to be for charity, Whitney. You shouldn't be so greedy!

Just another reason for the utter phoniness of celebs and 'charity.' They don't give a rat's behind about any charities, they just care bout getting paid and seeing their names in the paper.

Drug addicts need lots of sugar when they aren't getting high?!! Get your paper girl, I hope you are worth that 1.7...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Gold Member

Ugh. What a waste of her life. Looks like she's just now standing in the breadline playing for peanut M&M's. I'd love to see her revamp her career singing jazz and blues standards. She has such a beautiful voice she could actually convey her heartbreaks into song and a fresh new career.

manufactured boobs need a serious makeover
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    Just another reason for the utter phoniness of celebs and 'charity.' They don't give a rat's behind about any charities, they just care bout getting paid and seeing their names in the paper.
    I know, and it actually makes me sad. I wonder if ALL the money these celebs earn really is going to charity like it's supposed to...

Quote Originally Posted by sparkly View Post
    I know, and it actually makes me sad. I wonder if ALL the money these celebs earn really is going to charity like it's supposed to...
    And the funny thing is, the money spent on these celebs could have been used to benefit people. Yet those who like to hire these types claim that the mere presence of the celebs brings attention to their cause, yada yada yada. Fine, but why the need to pay these rich celebs when these celebs should be doing a good cause for f**king free. It's the principle of the matter that is infuriating.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information