Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prince Harry fighting on the front lines in 'Real War' (Afghanistan)

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Prince Harry fighting on the front lines in 'Real War' (Afghanistan)

PRINCE HARRY FIGHTS ON FRONTLINES IN AFGHANISTAN; 3 MONTH TOUR
    Thu Feb 28 2008 11:37:52 ET

They're calling him "Harry the Hero!"

British Royal Prince Harry has been fighting in Afghanistan since late December -- and has been directly involved in battle.

Australian magazine NEW IDEA and the German daily BILD have broken world embargoes on the development. CNN has debated internally on the merits of reporting Harry at war.

The prince, a junior officer in the Blues and Royals, and third in line to the throne, has been a "magnificent soldier" and an "inspiration to all of Briton."

Prince Harry is talking part in a new offensive against the Taliban.

Ministry of Defense and Clarence House refuse all comment. Army chiefs have managed to keep the prince away from media and have encourage fellow soldiers in his squadron to stay quiet.

Developing... DRUDGE REPORT FLASH 2008®

Riiight. I certainly believe this.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I think it's true. He's been trying to get sent for that past year. I mean, being the spare to the throne is not terribly taxing and he must have some need to do something with himself.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus!

They probably decided to publicize it now because his 3 month tour is about over.

If it's true, he must be back in England, because I can't see them announcing it while he's still a target.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Apparently newspapers editors knew about it and agreed to keep it quiet so that he wouldn't become a target. Idiot Drudge decided to blow the story wide open because...what? Getting the 'exclusive' is better than doing the right thing?

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Good for him, at least he is honorable unlike others who shall go unnamed.

It's true he is there. The Queen was the one who told him he had to go, no one was suppose to release this in the media. Matt Drudge just put his life in danger.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Hit By Ban Bus!

'This gives me my best chance to be normal'

Prince was told by the Queen he would fight

'I would never want to put someone else's life in danger by being a bullet magnet'

Harry has been 'a credit to his nation', says general

Prince Harry has been fighting the Taliban on the front line in Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence confirmed today.

The 23-year-old Household Cavalry officer has spent the past 10 weeks secretly serving in war-ravaged Helmand Province and was there over Christmas. He has already directed one bomb attack, dismissed fears that he will be a "bullet magnet", and sworn he does not miss "anything".
    Despite being third in line to the throne, the prince was allowed to operate within sight of enemy positions, calling in air strikes and carrying out aerial surveillance of Taliban trenches and bunker systems. Scroll down for more ...

The Prince takes aim with a rifle in Afghanistan

Prince Harry, pictured here in Afghanistan, has been serving in the war-torn country for ten weeks, the MoD confirmed today

Read more...
    Australian magazine New Idea and German newspaper Bild also both broke the embargo on the news.
    As part of the deal a group of journalists had visited the prince in Helmand on condition that details would only be publicised once he was safely back in the UK. The deal was arranged after Harry's planned tour to Iraq last year had to be cancelled because of a security risk sparked by publicity.
    Harry had sworn to quit the Army if he was not sent to fight

He later swore he would quit the Army if he was not allowed to fight.

As the Prince flew out to Afghanistan in December he brushed off fears he would become a "bullet magnet", saying: "I just want to do my bit."
    "I would never put someone else's life in danger when they have to sit next to the bullet magnet," he said in an interview at Clarence House before he flew out to the war-torn country in December.
    "But if I'm wanted, if I'm needed, then I will serve my country as I signed up to do.
    "I don't think it's putting anybody at risk at all ... if I can get out there without anyone actually making it public - which is basically what's happening at the moment with the deal that's being made with numerous papers - things are looking up."
    The party-loving Prince also joked about the fact there would be no nightclubs in Afghanistan.
    Speaking before his departure he admitted the disappointment of being told last year he could not go to Iraq for security reasons made him wish he was not a prince.
    "I wish that quite a lot actually," he said.
    "William and I have said numerous times that there's a lot of opportunities that we miss out on - as well as we also got a lot of chances - for who we are.
    "But at the beginning of this year (2007), it was very hard and I did think, 'well, clearly one of the main reasons that I'm not likely to be going was the fact of who I am'.
    "So yes, I did think at that time that I wished I wasn't, but at the same time I'm very grateful for the job that I've got and the way that things are."
    He said he was pinning his hopes on a taste of normality away from the royal life he has known since birth.
    "I think dressed in the same uniform as numerous other people, thousands of other people in Afghanistan will give me one of the best chances to be just a normal person: with a helmet on, with a shemagh (scarf) with goggles on, whatever," he said.
    "As far as anybody else is concerned they will just treat me as just a normal officer out there, hopefully.
    "That will be massively important for me, it could be a turning point."
    He flew out on December 14, two months into the current winter tour.
    He spent several weeks working in Garmsir in the far south of Helmand Province, operating just 500m from front line Taliban positions.
    He has since left Garmsir to work in another part of Helmand Province, details of which can not be reported for security reasons.
    There is no immediate steer from the Ministry of Defence on the future of his deployment.
    Earlier this week a Royal Marine became the 89th British fatality in Afghanistan - the third killed there this year, and the second in one week.
    The marine was trying to disrupt Taliban fighters in the southern province of Helmand when he was caught in a bomb blast.
    The deaths followed a week of bomb explosions in southern Afghanistan, where the death toll from two days of suicide attacks rose to more than 140.
    Chief of the General Staff Sir Richard Dannatt, who is head of the British Army, said he was disappointed the news had leaked. Scroll down for more ...

In a statement, he said: "I am very disappointed that foreign websites have decided to run this story without consulting us.
    "This is in stark contrast to the highly responsible attitude that the whole of the UK print and broadcast media, along with a small number of overseas outlets, who have entered into an understanding with us over the coverage of Prince Harry on operations.
    "After a lengthy period of discussion between the MoD and the editors of regional, national and international media, the editors took the commendable attitude to restrain their coverage.
    "I would like to thank them for that and I do appreciate that once the story was in the public domain, they had no choice but to follow suit.
    "What the last two months have shown is that it is perfectly possible for Prince Harry to be employed just the same as other Army officers of his rank and experience.
    "His conduct on operations in Afghanistan has been exemplary.
    "He has been fully involved in operations and has run the same risks as everyone else in his battlegroup.
    "In common with all of his generation in the Army today, he is a credit to the nation. Scroll down for more ...

The Prince has said fighting in the war gives him his 'best chance to be normal'

"In deciding to deploy him to Afghanistan, it was my judgment that with an understanding with the media not to broadcast his whereabouts, the risk in doing was manageable.
    "Now that the story is in the public domain, the Chief of Defence Staff and I will take advice from the operational commanders about whether his deployment can continue.
    "I now appeal to the media to restrain from attempting to report Prince Harry's every move and return to our understanding."
    After the disappointment over Iraq, when Harry was due to work as a Scimitar light tank troop leader, he retrained as a battlefield air controller known as a JTAC (Joint Terminal Attack Controller) with a view to going to Afghanistan.
    The prince said his grandmother the Queen was the one who told him he would be sent to the front line. She was a strong supporter of his desire to serve on the front line despite his position, he said. He said the monarch had been "relieved" when it was agreed he would finally be able to do the job he had trained
    Prince Harry has been secretly fighting Taliban in Afghanistan for 10 weeks, admits MoD | the Daily Mail

uhhuh ,and surrounded by a personal guard of 50 SAS operatives at all times no doubt.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

At least he's making an effort to show his people that not just the poor have a responsibility to protect their own and affiliated countries. Just BEING in Afghanistan is dangerous, I for one am proud of the steps he is taking in uniting his country against danger and for leading by example...not dictation and swank commercials.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Stay safe Harry. I still need to show you the ways of the world.

Drudge is such a dick. Anyone surprised he's a repug? Or a closet case in denial?

--Sinclair Lewis

I'm guessing this'll be it for his fighting. They can't leave him in combat now and make not only him a target, but everyone in his unit.

Drudge is an ass.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Drudge is such a dick. Anyone surprised he's a repug? Or a closet case in denial?

I'm not surprised. When I lived with my (evil)step dad, he would listen to talk radio, so I'd have the honor of listening to Drudge AND Rush Limbaugh everyday.

*shakes head* No wonder I'm so corrupt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information