Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Seinfeld seeks to toss author's lawsuit

Default Jerry Seinfeld seeks to toss author's lawsuit

Jerry Seinfeld was just joking when he compared a woman accusing his wife of plagiarism to the killers of John Lennon and the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., his lawyers said.

In a filing in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, attorneys for the former sitcom star asked a judge to throw out a lawsuit filed by Missy Chase Lapine against Seinfeld and his wife, the Daily News reported in Tuesday editions.

"Jerry Seinfeld made overstatements of opinion for comic effect," the comedian's lawyers said in the filing.

Lapine is seeking unspecified compensatory and punitive damages for copyright and trademark infringement, and made slander and defamation claims.

Lapine, the author of "The Sneaky Chef: Simple Strategies for Hiding Healthy Foods in Kids' Favorite Meals," accused Seinfeld's wife of plagiarizing her cookbook. Jessica Seinfeld's "Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food" was published in October; Lapine's book was published in April.

Lawyers for the Seinfelds dismissed the plagiarism allegations in the court filing, saying, "The idea of sneaking healthy foods into a child's diet is not original to your author."

Lapine also contended in her lawsuit that Jerry Seinfeld, while making a promotional stop on CBS' "Late Show With David Letterman," suggested she was a crackpot by comparing her to the killers of Lennon and King.

Seinfeld seeks to toss author's lawsuit - Yahoo! News

both books sound obnoxious. i can't stand uppity yuppie mummy books.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    both books sound obnoxious. i can't stand uppity yuppie mummy books.

word

^^ I'll second that.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Jerry Seinfeld was just joking when he compared a woman accusing his wife of plagiarism to the killers of John Lennon and the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., his lawyers said.
    Wow I din't know he said that. Bit of an overreaction eh Jer? Am I the only one who has ALWAYS disliked him?

Please! No recipe is entirely original-everything thought up has already been done! I read Jessicas-honestly, it sounded good!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I have such a dirty mind .. everytime I read this it says "jerry seinfeld seeks to toss author's salad"...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post
    Wow I din't know he said that. Bit of an overreaction eh Jer? Am I the only one who has ALWAYS disliked him?
    No, he is not funny.....he's on my list of people I instantly lunge for the remote to change the channel to ANYTHING else.....

Jerry Seinfeld or Home Shopping?.....yep, I'd pay $40 for that cocktail ring.....

Haha! I do the same cynic. He bugs the hell out of me. As for the cookbooks I like to teach my kid good nutrition. I think it defeats the purpose of putting something good for you into chocolate anyways.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

He was making a joke about "three-named" people being crazy. Guess she failed to see the humor...

I hope the lawsuit's not dismissed because I just want to see somebody stick it to the Seinfelds.

^^ I agree, I think it's funny as hell when comedians make edgier jokes, but those Seinfelds are so sleazy and pompous, I hope they get nailed just for the hell of it.

Hm, I'd choose Home Shopping over him any day...sometimes they have some interesting things on there...

Nope. Can't stand the man, either. Never understood what's soappealing about him.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Please! No recipe is entirely original-everything thought up has already been done! I read Jessicas-honestly, it sounded good!
    Not quite. Jessica ripped off the whole concept.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia720 View Post
    Not quite. Jessica ripped off the whole concept.
    No, she didn't. That idea has been around for ages. Those two weren't the first ones to do it. So, really, if you're going to say Jessica stole the concept, then you have to say this other chick did as well, because it's been done before.

You can't copyright a concept. And the notion that one person has exclusivity is silly. If that was the case, there would only be books on barbecuing by one person, books on crockpot cooking by one person, books on making bread by one person.

The only reason this woman is suing is because of the Seinfeld name and she thinks she can make a fast windfall. If it was some housewife from Kansas, I can guarantee this wouldn't be a big deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information