Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diablo Cody's Oscar shoe-gate

Default Diablo Cody's Oscar shoe-gate

Via Defamer:

DiabloShoeGate Exclusive: The Truth Behind Diablo Cody's Missing Million Dollar Shoes

When you're new in Hollywood, or at least a first-timer at the Oscars, one rule to keep in mind: don't act like a diva with witnesses around and then publicly deny your behavior later, for the truth will ALWAYS come back to haunt you. According to a tipster with knowledge of DiabloShoeGate `08, there was a lengthy back-and-forth between Diablo Cody, her stylist, and Stuart Weitzman's people about the diamond-encrusted t-straps that she was supposed to be wearing to the Academy Awards last night. In fact, we have learned that her stylist is the one who approached Weitzman's people in the first place, asking if Cody could pretty please wear his shoes on the carpet. What happened next? Read on for the murky details surrounding a publicity stunt gone terribly wrong.

So! As we said, we have learned that Cody's stylist approached Weitzman's people first. After agreeing to a meeting, Cody, the stylist and Weitzman's team sat down several times to discuss the Leopard Skinned Lady's design requests for this year's shoe. Only problem? Once the press got a hold of this information (indie queen with a dirty mouth wearing the fanciest shoes on the carpet), the torch-waving mob yelled Hypocrite. Cody's reaction? Denial, denial, denial. According to our source, once she read some bad press pre-Oscars, she nixed the long-worked-on design and went with her more fan-friendly flats (and vented about it on MySpace). Why a chick like Diablo, with her signature punk style, would even clamor for a pair of chintzy third-rate shoes in the first place is beyond us, but then again, so was her choice in Oscar dress. Developing!

... who is this person?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

She wrote the screenplay for Juno and won an Oscar for it last night.

Hyped for being a former stripper.

That would suck if she were lying. I wanna read where the torch-waving mob (media? fans?) called her a hypocrite.

Diablo Cody? Weird name.

Yeah, I'm not sure but I thought it wasn't her real name. More like a pen name she used to write her stripper book and now the Juno screenplay? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

^^Ex stripper...explains it all really.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Well I remember NoDay mentioned that she (Diablo Cody) took up stripping for a year specifically to write a book about it.

Per imdb:

Date of Birth
    14 June 1978, Chicago, Illinois, USA

Birth Name
    Brooke Busey

Height
    5' 5½" (1.66 m)

Mini Biography
    Diablo Cody is originally from Chicago, Illinois, and moved to Minnesota to live with her Internet boyfriend, Jonny (now her husband). While there she decided, on a whim, to take up stripping as a hobby of sorts. Meanwhile, she was working in an ad agency.

Within a year she got a promotion at the ad agency, which wore her ragged, and was something she did not particularly care for (it demanded organization, which is something at which she was not very good). Eventually, she quit her day job with Jonny's blessings and began stripping full-time. During the course of about a year she went from Amateur Night, which was her first stripping experience, to a place she refers to in her book as Sheiks, then to Déjà Vu, and so on. She then took up work as a phone-sex operator before returning to stripping.

Shortly thereafter she decided to quit stripping and she and Jonny married. They moved to what she refers to as "the 'burbs, and no one strips unless they're taking a bubble bath." Her stepdaughter was the flower girl in the wedding and, according to Diablo, they are very happy.
    IMDb Mini Biography By: Nikki

Spouse
    Jon Hunt(29 October 2004 - present) (filed for divorce)

Trivia

Grew up in Chicago.

Has a step-daughter referred to as Peanut in her book.
    Noted in her books to have stripped under the names Bonbon, Roxanne, and Cherish.
    Born Brook Busey, now Brook Busey-Hunt.
    Ranked #38 on Entertainment Weekly's 2007 list of the 50 Smartest People in Hollywood (issue #968, December 7, 2007).
    Her first name, Diablo, in Spanish means Devil.
    Attended Benet Academy College Prep. High School in Lisle, Illinois.
    Is the only author to have been inducted into Dave's Book Club on "Late Show with David Letterman" (1993).
    She attended The University of Iowa.

Diablo Cody - Biography

Thanks Trixiebelle. That bio doesn't really make it sound like it was her specific plan to strip only for the sake of writing a book. More like she didn't like her ad agency job and decided to try it out of curiosity.

You're welcome.

She sounds like a bit of a flake to me--marries her internet boyfriend, takes up stripping as a "hobby" and does phone sex work. Okeee.

Notice that the bio says she's "very happy" with hubby, ooops who she's now divorcing.

Oh well, guess time will tell whether she's a lucky flash in the pan, or someone with real talent.

Wonder if she's related to Gary Busey?

Quote Originally Posted by Trixiebelle View Post

Wonder if she's related to Gary Busey?
    that'd be fun if she was!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Hit By Ban Bus!

Is she even well-known enough to have a mob of betrayed fans who would turn on her for wearing expensive shoes? Why would anybody care what she wore on her feet?

I suspect she thinks she's some sort of Indie Queen and doesn't want to look like a sell-out. Whatever.

Haha! She was lying, Stuart Weitzman totally sold her out! Good! I hate when people are hypocritical and then make shit up to backtrack. *...Actually she wasn't even hypocritical by agreeing to wear the shoes (I don't see the big deal really, even if she is an "indie" princess.) But why lie about it and make someone else look bad?

Shoe Guru to Diablo -- You Picked 'Em Out, Girl!

Posted Feb 25th 2008 4:58PM by TMZ Staff
    The shoe designer whom Diablo Cody slammed for trying to whore her out with a pair of million-dollar shoes (she says) is kicking back at the Oscar winner.

Stuart Weitzman tells TMZ that Diablo actually selected the shoes herself, even choosing diamond roses to adorn them! You can't get that at American Apparel!

"I have been making a special pair of shoes to be worn at the Academy Awards for a number of years. This year - more so than in any previous year - the lady who was given the opportunity to wear it was quite involved in the design process. Diablo Cody sent me examples of the type of shoes she liked and actually did the final selection herself, choosing a three-inch retro style T-strap as well as a changeover pair of ballerinas.

She chose to adorn the shoes with medium-sized diamond roses from three different sizes offered to her. Why she seems to be so surprised as to the attention being paid to her and these shoes, I cannot answer. It should certainly come as no surprise that a one-of-a-kind pair of shoes would generate excitement at the Academy Awards.

Regardless, what should matter is the fact that this talented woman won an Oscar this weekend. I offered her the opportunity initially because I so enjoyed her film, and I'm very happy for her success. I wish her all the best."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information